DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

24 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

The most recent episode of 1986 UWF TV that I watched had a disclaimer during the show close that noted "all music heard during this program has been licensed through ASCAP" so someone got hip to how much popular music was being used by wrestling at some point. 

I think what you said and what odessa stated above regarding Eye of the Tiger go hand and hand. You see Hogan using it. Then, you look around. It's been used heavily for Kerry in World Class for music videos. It's being used here and there all over the place. It may help promote the song, but (1) the goddamn song sells itself once it reaches that height and (2) you simply cannot have that without some sort of monetization. It sucks but tis life.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

The most recent episode of 1986 UWF TV that I watched had a disclaimer during the show close that noted "all music heard during this program has been licensed through ASCAP" so someone got hip to how much popular music was being used by wrestling at some point. 

I think ASCAP finally woke up about licensing music for TV around that time, besides wrestling tons of local and syndicated sports shows used popular music and most likely weren't paying. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

This feels too normal for A24. I'm going to need a talking goat, a bizarre pagan sex ritual in the last 5 minutes, a decapitation out of left field, one of them being possessed, a crazed fan where the camera slowly zooms in on them at least 7 times, or all of the above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This feels too normal for A24. I'm going to need a talking goat, a bizarre pagan sex ritual in the last 5 minutes, a decapitation out of left field, one of them being possessed, a crazed fan where the camera slowly zooms in on them at least 7 times, or all of the above.

I'd settle for Bill Mercer asking one of the boys, "Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

So I guess an electrocution, a stabbing, two mysterious deaths, three suicides and somebody running around with a missing foot isn't enough? 

Also, it amuses me considering our other conversation here that the trailer has both "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Tom Sawyer" in it

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I guess an electrocution, a stabbing, two mysterious deaths, three suicides and somebody running around with a missing foot isn't enough? 

Also, it amuses me considering our other conversation here that the trailer has both "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Tom Sawyer" in it

I said in the movie thread I hope they find room.for Strangehold and La Grange. 

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Beat me to it although I know Craig is just being funny.

That said, I watched the WCCW TV episode recently where they give the update on Mike Von Erich after the toxic shock thing.

My first thought after seeing what appears to be Mike looking like a gaunt zombie with bloodshot eyes is, "Man...somebody needs to get him to a hospital. Wait....they're already at the hospital!"

Just a sad story all around.

• Like 2

They could go so far with that! Remember, he walked around with it all chewed up for awhile before they had to remove it. 

I'm still going with Zombie Mike though. That footage is goddamn horrific. He can't even talk right and they still trucked him out in front of the cameras.

Mike matches weren’t good in any way before the brain damage (sorry if that sounds overly mean). I’m not exactly gonna seek out his matches after that happened to him.

Bill Watts had his pluses and minuses but at least he didn’t make Joel Watts wrestle.

Joel Watts is the most Kenneth from 30 Rock guy ever to have been in wrestling and I’m pretty confident that Jack McBrayer didn’t intentionally rip off Joel Watts.

• Like 1

Wait...did Erik Watts not exist? (And I am probably the least harshest on Erik.)

Also, was anyone recommending people check out the work of Mike Von Erich? Whether he can work or now doesn't make his story less sad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait...did Erik Watts not exist? (And I am probably the least harshest on Erik.)

Also, was anyone recommending people check out the work of Mike Von Erich? Whether he can work or now doesn't make his story less sad.

I guess if you’re gonna have any of your kids wrestle, the guy who was a division 1 QB isn’t a bad pick to wrestle on paper. If Erik Watts had basically spent some time working before WCW, then his first matches wouldn’t have been broadcast to so many people.

But Bill didn’t just make his kids wrestle because they’re his kids, unlike Fritz

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess if you’re gonna have any of your kids wrestle, the guy who was a division 1 QB isn’t a bad pick to wrestle on paper. If Erik Watts had basically spent some time working before WCW, then his first matches wouldn’t have been broadcast to so many people.

But Bill didn’t just make his kids wrestle because they’re his kids, unlike Fritz

But their asses were all involved in the wrestling business. Even if Joel was good on the production end, he still wasn't ready to call pro wrestling. That's pretty much the same as putting your kids in a pro wrestling ring. 

I am not sure why Fritz has to be compared to Bill Watts in terms of parenting though. From Mike Graham to Greg Gagne to the Welch/Fullers etc. etc, people feel like it's a birthright. Fritz's case gets emphasized more cause the end was more tragic even though the Graham family was just as sad. 

I am still failing to see what this has to do with why Mike's story isn't as tragic somehow cause he couldn't wrestle. 

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Even if Joel was good on the production end, he still wasn't ready to call pro wrestling. That's pretty much the same as putting your kids in a pro wrestling ring. 

In the scheme of things, having a nepotism case who wasn't good at calling wrestling is probably less of a problem than having a nepotism case who your heels had to put over as actually being a credible wrestler. Especially in the world of 80s wrestling where you want people to believe this is a legit competition.

If Mike had been in a non-wrestling role, that would be much more preferable than what they did with him.

An interesting doc would be "wrestler kids who had nothing to do with wrestling". 

Like when we found out that Jake and Sam and Robin had a brother we never knew about. 

were there any Hart kids that had nothing to with the business, including the girls marrying a wrestler? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

In the scheme of things, having a nepotism case who wasn't good at calling wrestling is probably less of a problem than having a nepotism case who your heels had to put over as actually being a credible wrestler. Especially in the world of 80s wrestling where you want people to believe this is a legit competition.

Not really. How old was Joel on commentary? 19ish? You put him on commentary with folks like JR (who has already pretty damn good) and he has to get over the talent, which he was totally below average at. Not blaming Joel just like I am not blaming Mike (or Chris Von Erich), but that's totally underselling what it takes to do commentary and how vital it is. He should have been doing local events like everyone else who is a teenager/young adult in sports broadcasting.

Mike, for all his faults, was over his first match by just being a Von Erich. That's 50 percent of the job done right there.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

were there any Hart kids that had nothing to with the business, including the girls marrying a wrestler? 

You would figure since Stu and Helen had like 79 kids.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

They could always use some sleaze thread stuff to spice it up. Lots of dead cats anyway...

Well, I mean back when I was listening to one of Cornette's podcast (guessing the Drive Thru) someone found a script for the Vince McMahon movie. It was just sleaze thread type stuff of guys waiting backstage to get shot up with steroids and doing coke.

• Like 1