DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

Eddie Kingston:

"You know me, I’m always hard on myself,” said Kingston. “I think I always could have done better. But the crowd was the best part. I’m biased, but New Yorkers, they’re the best. They don’t just cheer for you, they fight for you. I saw it all the time at Yankee Stadium. It’s how we are.

“The match was fine, but the crowd made it feel bigger. They took it from a four to a ten.”'

"it feels great when the crowd cheers, but it makes me nervous,” he continued. “I’m not used to this kind of love. It makes me ask myself, ‘Why do they love me?’ Then I start doubting myself. It’s all part of my curse. But as long as people are fans of pro wrestling, that’s good enough for me."

"Me, I’m the guy who grew up in Yonkers–I’m still that guy. So when people cheer for me, or want to take a picture with me, I get a little bashful. I don’t see the big deal. I’m just me. But I am blessed and lucky enough to do the dream job I’ve wanted since I was nine. I don’t see myself as a big deal. I’m still the kid from Yonkers.”

"I know a lot of people miss him (Xavier),” said Kingston. “I miss him. His family misses him. We celebrate a lot of the past, and we should celebrate him, too. He’s the second champion ever. Let’s put some respect on him.”

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If their only ambition with Rampage was to fill two hours of tv time, they nailed it. Collision looks great on paper. 

Looking forward to Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks the most having had a MOTYC at All Out I have at *****. After that, Jay White vs. Andrade El Idolo and Willow Nightingale vs. Julia Hart.

• Like 1

Rampage was pretty good. Nothing was amazing but nothing was bad. Skye and Julia in particular had an excellent, competitive match. Only thing I question is having Elite and Hangman win the ROH trios belt. Right now their tag and trios titles are held by AEW main eventers rather than ROH regulars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Rampage was pretty good. Nothing was amazing but nothing was bad. Skye and Julia in particular had an excellent, competitive match. Only thing I question is having Elite and Hangman win the ROH trios belt. Right now their tag and trios titles are held by AEW main eventers rather than ROH regulars.

My dude, I have been ringing the bell of “wtf is the point of ROH when their belts are held by AEW guys and their TV is just meaningless mostly job matches” forever.  The only fix is realizing TK has no real plan for ROH and unsubscribing.

• Like 3

I think someone fleeced TK on the idea that Starks won't get over unless Danielson keeps murdering him so that the fans "respect" him. Which is pretty pathetic since he was already super over. This would have maybe been an idea to try on Sammy or Jungle Boy and even then they both lose all the time so I wouldn't risk it. 

I was 100% positive Danielson was going over at the ppv but now I'm wondering if they're giving Sabre the win and wanted to protect Danielson? Which would be dumb af anyway since he could lose his next 50 matches and still be a credible challenger for any title.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I think someone fleeced TK on the idea that Starks won't get over unless Danielson keeps murdering him so that the fans "respect" him. Which is pretty pathetic since he was already super over. This would have maybe been an idea to try on Sammy or Jungle Boy and even then they both lose all the time so I wouldn't risk it. 

I was 100% positive Danielson was going over at the ppv but now I'm wondering if they're giving Sabre the win and wanted to protect Danielson? Which would be dumb af anyway since he could lose his next 50 matches and still be a credible challenger for any title.

Still think Bryan Danielson beats Zack Sabre Jr. Can't see Danielson losing after beating the biggest NJPW name in Kazuchika Okada and especially by submission. Since Okada returned from excursion 13 years ago, he's only done two submission jobs to Shinsuke Nakamura and Danielson. Even ZSJ wasn't permitted to go over him and never submit him even though submission master is his gimmick. It's also in Bryan's hometown of Seattle.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

Still think Bryan Danielson beats Zack Sabre Jr. Can't see Danielson losing after beating Kazuchika Okada and especially by submission. Since Okada returned from excursion 13 years ago, he's only done two submission jobs to Shinsuke Nakamura and Danielson. Even ZSJ wasn't permitted to go over him and never submit him even though submission master is his gimmick.

I was thinking this also, especially since I assume Danielson and Okada are having a rematch at WK (or some other time soon). 

Obviously Tony Khan loves 90s AJPW as we all do and should, and I could see how on paper it might be tantalizing to book like Baba and beat the younger talent forever so that it's a huge deal when they finally do get big wins over the top guys. But AEW's roster is unwieldy and people come and go a lot so it doesn't really allow for the super-structured hierarchy Baba built in the 90s (plus as moving as a lot of Baba's hardluck storylines were they got taken to the extreme in Noah where nobody new ever really got the trigger pulled on them until Misawa passed away and Go and Sugiura (who was an older guy by then anyway) became the guys for awhile).

I dunno, I think it's a big problem. I don't really want to see what happens when Ospreay gets signed and then you have both him and White never taking losses while people like Darby and Guevara and Starks and Swerve and the Acclaimed can lose whenever it's convenient. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I was thinking this also, especially since I assume Danielson and Okada are having a rematch at WK (or some other time soon). 

Obviously Tony Khan loves 90s AJPW as we all do and should, and I could see how on paper it might be tantalizing to book like Baba and beat the younger talent forever so that it's a huge deal when they finally do get big wins over the top guys. But AEW's roster is unwieldy and people come and go a lot so it doesn't really allow for the super-structured hierarchy Baba built in the 90s (plus as moving as a lot of Baba's hardluck storylines were they got taken to the extreme in Noah where nobody new ever really got the trigger pulled on them until Misawa passed away and Go and Sugiura (who was an older guy by then anyway) became the guys for awhile).

I dunno, I think it's a big problem. I don't really want to see what happens when Ospreay gets signed and then you have both him and White never taking losses while people like Darby and Guevara and Starks and Swerve and the Acclaimed can lose whenever it's convenient. 

I'm hoping Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada happens at next year's Wrestle Kingdom. Can see that alongside Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW needs big matches as SANADA vs. Tetsuya Naito is very meh. I HATE the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

You're right about timing in wrestling, striking when the iron's hot and protecting your up and comers too. Build stars of your own volition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm hoping Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada happens at next year's Wrestle Kingdom. Can see that alongside Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW needs big matches as SANADA vs. Tetsuya Naito is very meh. I HATE the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

You're right about timing in wrestling, striking when the iron's hot and protecting your up and comers too. Build stars of your own volition.

Yeah the G1 this year is a perfect example of what I'm griping about. Would have been the perfect opportunity to strap a rocket to somebody and have them dethrone SANADA. Instead, none of the rising stars even made it to the semis. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Yeah the G1 this year is a perfect example of what I'm griping about. Would have been the perfect opportunity to strap a rocket to somebody and have them dethrone SANADA. Instead, none of the rising stars even made it to the semis. 

In full agreement.

• Like 1

Kudos to Christian Cage retaining his TNT Championship ;).

Joking aside, Christian Cage should have won it in the first place. Always said Cage as TNT Champion defending against new talent, learning from a pro in Cage and dropping it to the right guy making them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2