DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

14 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Welp. The Vanguard questline is the most fun I've had playing a Bethesda game in..... Ever, I think? I haven't felt the way this quest has made me feel about a game in, lets say, 11 years. You can do the math. 

I don't know what geniuses decided to get together and tell everyone to just focus on the main story because every faction quest I've done so far has been outstanding.  Do them, do them all, and don't listen to those idiots.

• Like 2

Yeah, honestly, even though I’m annoyed I have to wait for a patch to unfuck my main story quest, all of the side quests have been pretty cool. I just finished up some shit on Neon (my background is that I was a Neon street rat) where I had to decide on a gang to join. All in all I think it only took me 2 hours, but it was pretty engaging, had a good ending, and built up more backstory to the game world, at least on Neon.

I mean, I’m just a space trucker. The fuck do I care about some mysterious artifact stuff. It should also be noted that I’m playing my character like Amos from the Expanse because Amos rules so I’m just doing stuff he would do.

Now if only this game had a brothel I could call home.

I just - accidentially - stole my first ship

I was off to do the first real mission of the Main storyline and since I was headed to the Sol system - I grabbed a couple of things off a bounty boards in the area.

One of them was a scan a planet (technically a moon) - fine. Get 100% but there are still some structure type things to scan. So I find a couple of caves with resources. Cool. Some scientists trying to not blow themselves up. Great.

But then I wandered into the middle of a firefight. Turned out some Ecliptic were battling it out with some Spacers. The Ecliptic guys where shooting me on sight so I cleared them out. There was one spacer left but he wasn't shooting me so I went up to talk to him and he is all "I FOUND HIM!!!" and starts shooting.

So anyway - everyone was dead so I headed to the Ecliptic ship and cleared out the three reaming folks and had a new ship.

I hate that there is really no way to take a ship without making it your home ship first and then going to a ship tech and switching it back

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't know what geniuses decided to get together and tell everyone to just focus on the main story because every faction quest I've done so far has been outstanding.  Do them, do them all, and don't listen to those idiots.

spoilers

Spoiler

It’s probably because the main storyline gives you combat and small QOL improvements that will come in handy later

Finally someone really got into the nitty-gritty of stuff I wanted to know about how the game runs on PC and what can be done about it:

My GPU is basically ancient garbage relative to this game and barely makes the cut of GPUs That Can Run Starfield, but it really fucking sucks I'd have to mod in so much stuff just to run it at 1080 or 1440 and have it not do stupid, distracting bullshit more or less constantly.  Also makes me glad I'm not buying it for a good long while.  A part of me started wondering if splurging on an AMD card would eventually be worth the cost whenever I can afford to build a new PC, but with the FSR vs. DLSS comparisons, it looks like the answer is a resounding "no".

I went to deliver a package to Akita City. FYI, it was delivered automatically when I landed and took me a few minutes to notice.

while looking around time, ran into a “situation” and now I’m on my way to being a Freestate Ranger. Admittedly, I save scummed so I could use Persuasion and resolve it peacefully. That did make Sarah happy. 

onto Venus and the Moon (again) tomorrow, but I’m better prepared this time. 

I accidentally picked up some harvested organs somehow, which were scanned as contraband. As a result, I am now undercover as a space pirate. Haven't decided if I will betray them later or turn double agent if possible. I have no idea what's happening, just know I love this game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rerolled my Ronin to have Wanted, Neon City Rat, and Taskmaster.  

Contemplated getting the half-skull Darby Allin tattoo but talked myself out of it.  The dagger by the right ear seemed more fitting.

I wanted to give my dude some additional badassitude so I chose Eyebrows 6 and Scars 6.  The right eyebrow has a bit missing in the middle and the scar goes right through the slot and over the eye.  Can't be a free blade on the run without the evidence of at least one previous scuffle.

Some of those scars are pretty hideous. Who wants half of their face covered with a gigantic burn wound?

I obviously did not look around the lowbie battlefield on Vectera after the skirmish with the pirates.  I missed a couple of containers in my first playthrough, one of which held a rare laser pistol, and I also found some crafting widgets.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I obviously did not look around the lowbie battlefield on Vectera after the skirmish with the pirates.  I missed a couple of containers in my first playthrough, one of which held a rare laser pistol, and I also found some crafting widgets.

You are slipping in your old age

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Rerolled my Ronin to have Wanted, Neon City Rat, and Taskmaster.  

Contemplated getting the half-skull Darby Allin tattoo but talked myself out of it.  The dagger by the right ear seemed more fitting.

I wanted to give my dude some additional badassitude so I chose Eyebrows 6 and Scars 6.  The right eyebrow has a bit missing in the middle and the scar goes right through the slot and over the eye.  Can't be a free blade on the run without the evidence of at least one previous scuffle.

Some of those scars are pretty hideous. Who wants half of their face covered with a gigantic burn wound?

This post is useless without screenshots. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

You are slipping in your old age

Indeed. 

I did, however, loot a rare ripshank for my Ronin in the research facility on Kreet and picked my first security lock while only being a Novice.  I am starting to hit my stride in this fucking game.

I need like 100+ digpicks before I feel comfortable free roaming.  I hate having to pass on loot boxes.  I was worried about over-encumberance, but I have found military grade rations that heal me and give me a capacity boost for a short time.

Getting the hang of stealth kills with a melee weapon.  Enemies are Skyrim-esque in that some of them conveniently have their backs to me when I sneak into a room.  I was worried that Vasco would give me away, but Starfield does not follow the Skyrim rule that allows enemies to detect your less than stealthy allies.

I have taken a level in Pilot rather than burn it on something Ronin-esque like Boxing or Wellness.  The gimping of my character because I want to be good at almost everything has now begun.  I suppose I will take levels in Theft, Persuasion and Security next and then grab my ninja skills like Wellness, Fitness, Boxing, and whatnot as I level up.  As with my Dragonborn, I'll be good at a bunch of stuff, but not great at any one thing.  Oh well.

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This post is useless without screenshots. 

I have posted captures to the Activity Feed.  You are allegedly on my Friend's List if you haven't purged us all, so you should be able to see the screenshots I took while in Character Creator.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Given that we are all packrats, I will be curious how long it takes you to do the introductory kreet mission, since there are so many rooms and things to pick up. 

I tend not to loot the window setting stuff like the office widgets and plants, but I have like ninety firearms and melee weapons on me and my Aid items range from medpacks to cheddar snack crackers.  It's nice to have a Scanner that shows which objects you can interact with.

I also have a black leather jumpsuit and hazmat gear that weigh a ton, but I refuse to dump them.  I'll be looking for a store when I get to the Lodge.  I need to sell down.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

I cut down on how much I have been grabbing after seeing how being encumbered slowed me down with my original 0lay through.

I have looted battle rations that give me a slight encumbrance bump so I will start scarfing them down when I am close to the weight limit.

I am now the Mantis.

Also, the Mantis spacesuit looks fucking dumb compared to “The Hunter” the guy that looks a little like Deathstroke running around New Atlantis. There must be a way to kill him and steal his armor.

Mantis’ ship, the Razorleaf, on the other hand rules even if it does lack nearly every workbench. I figured I would take it for a test run and see how it would do again the Warlock and I completely annihilated the Warlock. 

Eat shit, Vae Victus.

Also, I don’t want to spoil how to get the Mantis suit and ship. It took me a handful of tries with the main puzzle, but I eventually got it.

I probably should've chosen Security as my first gimping skill so I could've gotten credit for the Challenge after picking the lock of the safe in the Kreet research facility. 

Better still, I maybe shoulda picked Extrovert as a trait for my Ronin since flanking and shivving dudes distracted by Vasco's weapons fire is working out extremely well.  I am getting credit for sneak attacks as well as kills via melee and the bonuses to Oxy from Extrovert while Vasco is with me would be a bonus.

I will play for fun for now and min/max later.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, I am going to have to figure out how to make Vasco cover down behind me while I set these frag mines. 

Every time I set a decent trap and retreat so that the enemies will advance and blow themselves up, Vasco comes rolling in with the fucking DANGER WILL ROBINSON~! shit and chases the bad guys away from my explosives.

Never change, dumbass Bethesda RPG companions.  Never change.

There is probably a way to give Vasco commands like you can with all Bethesda RPG helpers so that he will hold position while you scout ahead, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Edited by J.T.

Pro Tip: The fucking terminals near major settlement landing pads only carry 5k on them, so it's fucking rough to clear your shit out there, you pretty much have to seek out a store.

I recommend a Trade Collective shop, as they tend to have exponentially more credits on hand than any other stores I've found, at least on Akila.  Also, random weapon shops sell ridiculous firearms (for ridiculous prices).  I got The Prime, which is a ridiculously modded Deadeye that has a thermal scope, muzzle break, and randomly causes Corrosive, Radiation, Poison, and Fire damage, IF anything human you shoot with it survives the shot.  I've been pretty much one shotting every humaniod I've come across with it (it also helps that the bonuses from Pistols and Ballistics STACK!).  

I am starting to notice it can get rough finding ammo for the less commonly used guns around space.  Like, ammo finding 7.5mm or .50 cal ammo is rough, but there's 7.77 ammo all over the fucking place fighting spacers and pirates, and thousands of Lazer ammo fighting the Eplictic Mercs.

I also need to find where to my 40mm Gernades as I found the Astra Tamer and HOLY SHIT is it a magnificant heavy weapon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There is probably a way to give Vasco commands like you can with all Bethesda RPG helpers so that he will hold position while you scout ahead, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Talk to them and there's a "Wait Here" command.  I've had to use that a couple times as if you're carrying Vasco on the ship, anytime you land or dock he'll always hang outside the ship/near the docking port and rush the second a red blip shows up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Talk to them and there's a "Wait Here" command.  I've had to use that a couple times as if you're carrying Vasco on the ship, anytime you land or dock he'll always hang outside the ship/near the docking port and rush the second a red blip shows up.

I thought it was probably through dialogue, but I am always afraid of getting attacked while I am chatting it up with the support drone or an NPC.

I hated it in Skyrim when you are trying to sell shit to one of the Khajiit caravan leaders and some fucking dragon just flies up and starts breathing frost all over everyone and you can't react because you are locked in dialogue.

Fugitive (can some how locate me for a chat even when I am Sneaking and Invisible):  Hold onto this for me.  I'll pay ya good. Don't lose it.

(my character is now dialogue locked into talking to this asshole)

Me: Explain yourself.

Dragon: Yol-Toor-Shol

Fugitive:  Snitch or double cross me and I'll kill you, I mean it.  YAAGH~!  *burns to death*

Me (on fire):  Fucking hell...

I also love how this game has complicated the age old dilemma of battlefield armor upgrades by adding the snag of adventuring on planets with an unbreathable atmosphere.

Me: Hey, this Crimson Wave assault spacesuit has a better Ballistics DR rating than the suit I have on.  Let me use that instead of this mining gear.

*swaps out Argos Extractors spacesuit for the Crimson Wave assault spacesuit*

Me:  ARGH~!  MY LUNGS~!

Edited by J.T.

It all goes back to shit they don't really teach you how to use in the game

I have watched like 100 "tips for beginners" videos now - and a few of them have gone over crew mate type settings things. And even still I am only like 50% sure I know what I am doing (I only have Vasco, Sara and the Adoring Fan so its not TOO bad at the moment)

Made it through getting the artifact from Moara. May be it for today. Now I need to sell all the weapons and suits I picked up on the lunar station. 

Also tempted to find the character appearance store to see if there's anything that wasn't part of the character xcreation to start the game.