DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Out of curiosity and the fact it's trending, I looked at these tweets. I think it's just drunk tweeting. I am not about to decipher this.

Her name dropping Syuri and Shirakawa as two wrestlers she likes in Stardom made me chuckle, Syuri of course I get but I dunno what her connection with Shirakawa is. I mean everyone loves Shirakawa but unless that was a joke it implies she still watches the Joshi scene since Shirakawa debuted well after she had already joined WWE.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Her name dropping Syuri and Shirakawa as two wrestlers she likes in Stardom made me chuckle, Syuri of course I get but I dunno what her connection with Shirakawa is. I mean everyone loves Shirakawa but unless that was a joke it implies she still watches the Joshi scene since Shirakawa debuted well after she had already joined WWE.

If her overall message is that she is scared they will be used wrong, she picked two people who are disguising their displeasure pretty damn well.

Say what you will about her losing titles quickly, but I don't think Mina Shirakawa could ask for a better overall spot in Stardom. Syuri has been solidified as one of the top women for awhile now.

Matter of fact, they "outgrew" the stables they were in and started their own splinter groups where both are de facto leaders of their respective group.

Since Maffew posted this, I wonder how quickly Dan would have realized shooting in a WWF ring would have been a massive mistake. 

(Especially with Austin, Blackman, Edge, AND *Vince* all in the ring at the time.)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If her overall message is that she is scared they will be used wrong, she picked two people who are disguising their displeasure pretty damn well.

Say what you will about her losing titles quickly, but I don't think Mina Shirakawa could ask for a better overall spot in Stardom. Syuri has been solidified as one of the top women for awhile now.

Matter of fact, they "outgrew" the stables they were in and started their own splinter groups where both are de facto leaders of their respective group.

While we will never know, I took her using the word "concerned" not in the literal sense based off the prior sentence, more like she wishes good luck to everyone and she is watching Syuri/Shirakawa the closest. Course, I don't know if her English has developed that much that she wrote all those tweets un-assisted, she uses translate tools to help, someone else wrote it... who knows. That's the beauty of Asuka.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Whomever Cody is feuding with should wear a "Cody Sucks Eggs" shirt.

“Cody eats corn the LONG WAY” 

Props to Asuka on her English coming so far but she is still confusing the hell out of people. Like when she refers to being against Joshi it’s more about the culture and the way things are expected to be. 

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Since Maffew posted this, I wonder how quickly Dan would have realized shooting in a WWF ring would have been a massive mistake. 

(Especially with Austin, Blackman, Edge, AND *Vince* all in the ring at the time.)

Since he'd have to start with Steve Blackman, his chances of getting far are slim. Blackman would quickly realize what's going on compared to say Droz and fight back, next Blackman most likely has been in way way more street fight type fights compared to Severn and could hold his own, then once everyone backstage realizes what's going on the next two entrants would most likely be Ken Shamrock and The Godfather. Even if his fantasy became somewhat of a reality, once 3 or 4 guys get him down someone is pulling out one of his eyeballs, just out of principal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Since he'd have to start with Steve Blackman, his chances of getting far are slim. Blackman would quickly realize what's going on compared to say Droz and fight back, next Blackman most likely has been in way way more street fight type fights compared to Severn and could hold his own, then once everyone backstage realizes what's going on the next two entrants would most likely be Ken Shamrock and The Godfather. Even if his fantasy became somewhat of a reality, once 3 or 4 guys get him down someone is pulling out one of his eyeballs, just out of principal. 

And look, Severn is/was no doubt a bad ass but there are few things in wrestling that require more "cooperation" than throwing someone over the ropes. They are chest high and easy to grab onto, and wrestlers are uh heavy people. I can't imagine he was really seriously considering it, probably just a funny thought that went through his head.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

And look, Severn is/was no doubt a bad ass but there are few things in wrestling that require more "cooperation" than throwing someone over the ropes. They are chest high and easy to grab onto, and wrestlers are uh heavy people. I can't imagine he was really seriously considering it, probably just a funny thought that went through his head.

Yeah, he'd most likely get a hernia trying to shoot lift anyone in that ring over the top rope.

After thinking about it, if his plan was to choke people out or break their arms, someone would have punted his head Ray Guy style once he was on the mat. 

23 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

9 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Yeah, he'd most likely get a hernia trying to shoot lift anyone in that ring over the top rope.

After thinking about it, if his plan was to choke people out or break their arms, someone would have punted his head Ray Guy style once he was on the mat. 

Haven't seen what went on in the Brawl for All and how this usually goes in wrestling outside of the territories or Japan, it's more likely something happens and then times just stand still until it abruptly comes to an end when folks start cooperating again. 

We're not talking about the Knoxville or Memphis or Mid-South territories. If it wasn't scripted to happened, you ain't pulling out anyone's eyeball under Vince's watch or soccer kicking anyone like you're Wanderlei Silva in a PRIDE FC fight.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

While we will never know, I took her using the word "concerned" not in the literal sense based off the prior sentence, more like she wishes good luck to everyone and she is watching Syuri/Shirakawa the closest. Course, I don't know if her English has developed that much that she wrote all those tweets un-assisted, she uses translate tools to help, someone else wrote it... who knows. That's the beauty of Asuka.

Based off of Syuri and Mina's responses this feels more accurate as both thanked her for mentioning them.

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Haven't seen what went on in the Brawl for All and how this usually goes in wrestling outside of the territories or Japan, it's more likely something happens and then times just stand still until it abruptly comes to an end when folks start cooperating again. 

We're not talking about the Knoxville or Memphis or Mid-South territories. If it wasn't scripted to happened, you ain't pulling out anyone's eyeball under Vince's watch or soccer kicking anyone like you're Wanderlei Silva in a PRIDE FC fight.

While I mostly agree, I think with Vince actually IN the ring for this one, you might see someone give it a go in a perhaps misguided attempt to curry favor. Maybe not a Steve Austin, but I could see like, idk, one of the Headbangers or Papi Chulo or someone of that ilk thinking 'Might get a push out of it...'

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

While I mostly agree, I think with Vince actually IN the ring for this one, you might see someone give it a go in a perhaps misguided attempt to curry favor. Maybe not a Steve Austin, but I could see like, idk, one of the Headbangers or Papi Chulo or someone of that ilk thinking 'Might get a push out of it...'

....and promptly get fired. On top of that, get their ass whooped in a failed attempt to intervene.

These dudes were getting winded 45-60 seconds into a real fight. Now I have to believe they're doing Steven Seagal shit in real life on a trained professional fighter.

• Haha 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

....and promptly get fired. On top of that, get their ass whooped in a failed attempt to intervene.

These dudes were getting winded 45-60 seconds into a real fight. Now I have to believe they're doing Steven Seagal shit in real life on a trained professional fighter.

Oh dude big agree, hence 'misguided' - I just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a Shotgun/NY/Jakked/Metal-level guy to think that he could get something out of it were it to have occurred. Like an 'If I save the boss *and* the show, I'll get the ol' Kevin Dunn job-for-life!'-kinda thing

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh dude big agree, hence 'misguided' - I just don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a Shotgun/NY/Jakked/Metal-level guy to think that he could get something out of it were it to have occurred. Like an 'If I save the boss *and* the show, I'll get the ol' Kevin Dunn job-for-life!'-kinda thing

A crazy fan sliding in the ring and getting punted and/or bodyslammed isn't too farfetched. Of course now, I can see WWE not wanting those lawsuits.

Talent on talent? Doesn't make too much sense cause both are giant fantasies. The shoot throwing people over the ropes (although I believe it can be done cause some folks are freaks of nature) as well as the resulting gang beating and/or eye gouging. They're not dummies on that front.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Based off of Syuri and Mina's responses this feels more accurate as both thanked her for mentioning them.

I'm glad they understood that. 

Syuri strikes me as someone who wouldn't take shit personal if it was meant any other way. She's clearly a free spirit (see my avatar).

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Considered starting a new thread but I’ll just leave it here, which is “songs you associate with a particular time and place in pro wrestling”

Because “Another One Bites the Dust” just came on and that’s JYD coming for Ted DiBiase’s ASS in Irish McNeils

Speaking of that, I just watched a show from Florida with Dog from 84. Apparently, he used "Atomic Dog" in Florida. I totally forgot Atomic Dog was that old. I thought it came out a little later in the 80s.

I love P-Funk. I love JYD. However, that is a weird song choice. "Another One Bites the Dust" at least got super over.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

I think he used it in mid south too. 

I get the use of it somewhat, but since I associate the song heavily with black fraternities, I never saw it as a kick someone's ass type of a song. It's too fun and party like. It's too silly for JYD. So is Grab Them Cakes but we're talking another era of JYD.