DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 PRESEASON

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I would like to remind everyone that they traded 3 picks for him and the pick they started with ended up being Micah Parsons.

Not to mention further trades of those picks landed Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith.

Truthfully a four is better than I expected they would get, and I definitely didn't think it would be Dallas. 

• Like 1

probably could've waited a month and gotten a 3rd when some other team suffered a catastrophic injury to whoever their starter is.

[or played him, when said team invariably ended up being the Niners themselves]

though to be fair Lance probably started demanding this trade internally once Darnold emerged as the #2 which would kibosh the whole Waiting A Month thing

Edited by BobbyWhioux

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not to mention further trades of those picks landed Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith.

Truthfully a four is better than I expected they would get, and I definitely didn't think it would be Dallas. 

It was a loaded draft, almost anyone they would have chosen would have been a better choice than them trading a bunch of picks to pick a guy they didn't even really give a fair shake.  If I'm not mistaken, he only started 4 games, and got injured like 3 plays into the 4th one.  

• Like 2

Lance is one of those guys that shouldn't have been taken in the first round let alone third overall. A little more than 600 passes thrown when you combine his high school and college career. Being taken so high and having futures thrown in to make the deal screwed him since you are forced to play him prematurely. He needed multiple years of development. His passes either sail high or are short over and over. Same as Zack Wilson. Happy feet/God awful footwork. Don't know why these personal guys think raw talent but terrible fundamentals can be fixed in a single training camp. I fear for Anthony Richardson now if the Colts coaching staff is as terrible as people are saying 

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

It was a loaded draft, almost anyone they would have chosen would have been a better choice than them trading a bunch of picks to pick a guy they didn't even really give a fair shake.  If I'm not mistaken, he only started 4 games, and got injured like 3 plays into the 4th one.  

And two of the other three starts he had a broken finger on his throwing hand.

The one healthy full start was in an absolute downpour on a field turned to mud in Chicago.

But that's kinda the problem, too. Since graduating high school, including NFL preseason games, he's thrown just 608 passes in games. There's a handful of NFL and college QBs who get around that many attempts every year. And if the Niners are all in on Purdy, and think Darnold gives them a better chance to win now if Purdy goes down, then there's just no path to reps and snaps for Lance.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

And two of the other three starts he had a broken finger on his throwing hand.

The one healthy full start was in an absolute downpour on a field turned to mud in Chicago.

But that's kinda the problem, too. Since graduating high school, including NFL preseason games, he's thrown just 608 passes in games. There's a handful of NFL and college QBs who get around that many attempts every year. And if the Niners are all in on Purdy, and think Darnold gives them a better chance to win now if Purdy goes down, then there's just no path to reps and snaps for Lance.

That's the thing though.  If you thought he was good enough to spend all those draft picks, you are obligated to at least give him enough reps to see what you have.  I can kinda understand if you think Purdy is the guy(I don't know how anyone can be sure about him), but you can't tell me that Sam Darnold should be taking away reps from someone you traded 3 draft picks to get.  We know Sam Darnold sucks, we don't know shit about Trey Lance.  Once again, we should never trust a Shannahan with a quarterback.  Do you guys remember when Mike Shannahan created an unnecessary quarterback controversy with Brian Griese and Bubby Brister?  RGIII looked like a future superstar until they ran him into the ground by playing him with an injury he had no business playing with.  Seriously, if the quarterback isn't established when they get there, do not, I repeat, do not let anyone with the last name Shannahan make any decisions regarding the quarterback.  Take that shit out of their hands, it is going to end badly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

That's the thing though.  If you thought he was good enough to spend all those draft picks, you are obligated to at least give him enough reps to see what you have.  I can kinda understand if you think Purdy is the guy(I don't know how anyone can be sure about him), but you can't tell me that Sam Darnold should be taking away reps from someone you traded 3 draft picks to get.  We know Sam Darnold sucks, we don't know shit about Trey Lance.  Once again, we should never trust a Shannahan with a quarterback.  Do you guys remember when Mike Shannahan created an unnecessary quarterback controversy with Brian Griese and Bubby Brister?  RGIII looked like a future superstar until they ran him into the ground by playing him with an injury he had no business playing with.  Seriously, if the quarterback isn't established when they get there, do not, I repeat, do not let anyone with the last name Shannahan make any decisions regarding the quarterback.  Take that shit out of their hands, it is going to end badly.  

My best guess is that they haven't liked what they've seen in practice enough that they don't think it's gonna work.

Not saying they are right, just... It says a lot that they are willing to punt on him like this already.

You can't even really call him a bust exactly. But I don't see how he's going to get snaps or even many practice reps in Dallas either, so?

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

This is an unfair thing of me to say but its a recent comparison that illustrates my point.

I remember when Tim Tebow was with Jets, and Sanchez was struggling but they refused to even consider starting Tebow at QB. Then he was with New England they didn't even keep him past the final cuts. And what was figured at the time was that he looked so bad in practice that there was no way they could justify putting him into a game (I believe they Jets even started McElroy over Tebow, a nobody). And that is what I figure happened with Lance. The coaches saw a lot more of him than we did, and even though he didn't get many "live" reps he got a ton of reps in practice that the coaches could watch on tape and see his growth. I think the 49ers *wanted* it to work with the guy they drafted so high, so the fact he couldn't beat out Darnold and they decided to trade him for nothing shows me that what they saw was just really bad and they wanted to get something for him while they could.

That's not to say Shananan isn't a problem, he probably is, but this may have been more on the GM as he acted in a sheer desperate way to give up that much for someone that lets face it had very minimal QB experience and the experience he had was mostly against lower caliber opponents.

Lions will need a new backup QB as Nate Sudfeld tore his ACL in last week's game

On a related note - the Bears released PJ Walker (and the Cowboys will be releasing Will Grier)

Jonathan Taylor update:

1) The Dolphins (and another team, believed to be Chicago) put in formal offers to Indy.  Both were rejected.

2) Negotiations are continuing between Miami and Indy  (and possibly a third team?).  It's basically expected to come down to the wire - which is tomorrow because Taylor must be activated off the PUP list by then, or he'll miss the first 6 weeks of the season. 

3) Basically Jim Irsay has demanded a 1 (plus stuff) for JT, and no one has ponied up.  Miami's offer was supposedly Emmanuel Ogbah and a 2 (and maybe some spare parts from both sides). 

So, the tl;dr is ...  JT will be on another team by Tuesday evening if the Colts find the right mix of whiskey and barbiturates for their owner.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lions will need a new backup QB as Nate Sudfeld tore his ACL in last week's game.

They've got Bridgewater still. And Hendon Hooker is still recovering from the ACL tear but the Lions have him on the NFI list for now. I don't expect them to go looking for anyone to replace Sudfeld, I kinda think he would've been cut this week without the injury.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Hey all, do you love sitting in a cramped  seat at a WWE show with a guy who had to bring his damn replica belts?  Well now you can enjoy the same thrill watching your favorite NFL team

The Jacksonville Jaguars belts have been removed from WWE Shop and NFL Shop.  (seriously)

Fanatics says it's because they sold out, which is great because with how slowly Fanatics fulfills orders, the buyers won't have those belts until March 2027. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Jacksonville Jaguars belts have been removed from WWE Shop and NFL Shop.  (seriously)

Fanatics says it's because they sold out, which is great because with how slowly Fanatics fulfills orders, the buyers won't have those belts until March 2027. 

$550. . . yeah too rich for my blood.

59 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Its not like Colt Mccoy was taking them anywhere. . . 

They're in a position where having Colt Mccoy fucking around and winning a game or two hurts them more than helping them. Either Josh Dobbs is secretly a star or they are going to lose,  and Did is going to have every outing to prove he's a star(which he's most likely is not). Same as the Commandos,  either Howell is a star or he's going to be so bad they get a crack at Caleb Williams. Either way,  he's going to be in the game. Jacoby Brisset could be practicing like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana and they shouldn't put him in the game. He might fuck around and win and that doesn't help anybody. 

• Like 2

This isn't a disagreement so much at most a random statement, but Jacoby Brisset's numbers over the last several years point to a guy who probably should be starting somewhere.

• Like 4