DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Is the goal “cutting edge?” We hang onto a lot of fifty year old stuff as a culture that we have fondness for, songs included. Use it in marketing and content all the time. Wouldn’t be shocked if King Marty puts Gimme Shelter in Killers of the Flower Moon.

Reveal hidden contents

I’m kidding. He won’t do that. Probably. 

If you're trying to make money (the purpose of running a professional wrestling company), then yeah you should be trying to be cutting edge at all times. I know people like what they like and I generally get slapped down when I try to talk about the business part of the wrestling business. But the 50+ demo is worth about zero dollars. Old dudes getting a kick out of a song from their youth doesn't bring in ad dollars. 18-34 bring in the ad dollars. So if you use a lame song that's gonna turn off that group right out of the gate what are we even doing here? I'm 38. I'm not even in the target demo and I find it lame. I immediately rolled my eyes and cared less about the show because it gave off a lame vibe to me.

Not saying it's going to stop me from watching. But it did affect how I view the show's presentation and vibe.

10 hours ago, Goitre said:

Do you honestly think they're using that song in an attempt to be "cutting edge"? If so, you're fucking weird, man.

Seems like they've taken a catchy, relevant song with built-in goodwill and feelgood-factor.

Trying to be cutting edge with Elton John. Fuck me dead. What a theory.

Condescending much? Fuck what a shitty post. In no way did I say they picked Elton John trying to be cutting edge. What I said was the song is an awful choice and using it is a big miss when you're trying to be cutting edge. What is relevant about a 50 year old song? Just the word Saturday being there? There's at least 10,000 songs with the word Saturday in it. That song has more relevance to The Great Depression than it does to current day. 1939 was only 34 years away from 1973 versus 2023 being 50 years away from 1973.

Also this is professional wrestling. Weird slow bebop disco rock is not the fit. You need aggression to set the mood. I'm not even asking for screamo rock or nu metal. You can go with any genre if it sets the vibe right. They should be trying to get Lil Uzi Vert songs or some shit not Elton John. Something that's gonna catch the attention of younger people and maybe hook in new fans to grow the audience.

A whole lot of knee-jerk reactions to a logical argument here. Don't let your own personal connections to the song cloud your objectivity to see it in someone else's perspective 🤷‍♂️

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my years of attending sporting events, weddings, and bars, it’s that when Neil Diamond’s 1969 hit “Sweet Caroline” is played, everyone below 30 sits down and shuts up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If you're trying to make money (the purpose of running a professional wrestling company), then yeah you should be trying to be cutting edge at all times.

No, you should be trying to sell something that people are willing to buy.

If people aren't willing to buy a two hour wrestling show because of a 30 second song played during the intro, they probably weren't going to buy the wrestling show to start with, tbh.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dog said:

They should just use a song by the Weeknd and call it a day.

I know a lot of his stuff isn't exactly upbeat, but really thought that they missed a good opportunity to use 'Blinding Lights' at one of the Vegas, LA, or NY shows over the last couple years it's been out 

I'm on the 'Collision' Course! Tickets secured for next Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday night! Alright! Oooh! Back to back nights! Here's hoping tonight's show bloody murders it and ramps up the local sales. Now, do I find my way on over to the Hammer for Thursday!? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If you're trying to make money (the purpose of running a professional wrestling company), then yeah you should be trying to be cutting edge at all times. I know people like what they like and I generally get slapped down when I try to talk about the business part of the wrestling business. But the 50+ demo is worth about zero dollars. Old dudes getting a kick out of a song from their youth doesn't bring in ad dollars. 18-34 bring in the ad dollars. So if you use a lame song that's gonna turn off that group right out of the gate what are we even doing here? I'm 38. I'm not even in the target demo and I find it lame. I immediately rolled my eyes and cared less about the show because it gave off a lame vibe to me.

Not saying it's going to stop me from watching. But it did affect how I view the show's presentation and vibe.🤷‍♂️

So I'm going to preface my response by saying you're entitled to your vibes. In no way am I going to try to convince you to like something. I think finding the use of that song to be lame or a groaner is a perfectly fine and valid thing to think. I even kind of see it, despite it activating something in me. Also not gonna slap you down for talking business. I just see it a wee bit different on that front.

My feeling is that "cutting edge at all times" isn't necessarily the only path toward money in this space. And maybe I'm conflating this with broader entertainment. But I see a whole lot of money in stuff that's old and dusty. The biggest movie of last year was Top Gun, not exactly cutting edge (well, some of the filmmaking certainly, but not plot or concept or star). Biggest of the year before that was milking twenty years of Spiderman nostalgia. The marketing for Barbie, which is probably gonna skew on the young side, uses songs from Indigo Girls (1989) and Cass Elliot (1969). We're just a decade removed from James Gunn hitting big with what was essentially a juke box space opera with nothing but stuff that gave him the warm and fuzzies when he was a baby, and a third of those movies just came out and hit big again. When the next James Bond comes along, whatever fresh take they have, I'm pretty sure they're gonna use the song from the '60s again. As a culture, we're swimming in this stuff. So I have to push back against the notion that a fifty year old Elton tune is an impediment to financial success. 

Even in the wrestling space, we're obsessed with the old. Consider some of the licensed music in AEW.  Or that even when a guy like Moxley is working a Bloodsport date, he'll use like a thirty year old Courtney Love song for his walkout. Or that Elsa is quite right in thinking that we want Gimme Back My Bullets for Mark Briscoe. We still get excited when Steve Austin comes back. It's allegedly a big deal that the Rock is gonna work WrestleMania in the near future (this is my groaner, but it will be a big deal). The Hardys are wrestling on TV next week. And we're in the thread for what we expect to be an older-skewing Saturday wrestling show with a star and main event that are meant to give me the warm and fuzzies I had in 2004. Cutting edge is fine, and has its place, both in wrestling and outside of it. But for what this is, and what a decent chunk of wrestling is, a fifty year old Elton tune doesn't feel like a huge barrier to entry. 

Or I could have just said what Sparkleface said and saved myself all this typing. Shit. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 13

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my years of attending sporting events, weddings, and bars, it’s that when Neil Diamond’s 1969 hit “Sweet Caroline” is played, everyone below 30 sits down and shuts up.

Not a Deathmatch fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5doU7nNx2W4

Edited by AxB

45 minutes ago, EVA said:

I was gonna hit you with a kneejerk "What about Fenway?" but then I remembered that baseball fans are ancient. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

So I'm going to preface my response by saying you're entitled to your vibes. In no way am I going to try to convince you to like something. I think finding the use of that song to be lame or a groaner is a perfectly fine and valid thing to think. I even kind of see it, despite it activating something in me. Also not gonna slap you down for talking business. I just see it a wee bit different on that front.

My feeling is that "cutting edge at all times" isn't necessarily the only path toward money in this space. And maybe I'm conflating this with broader entertainment. But I see a whole lot of money in stuff that's old and dusty. The biggest movie of last year was Top Gun, not exactly cutting edge (well, some of the filmmaking certainly, but not plot or concept or star). Biggest of the year before that was milking twenty years of Spiderman nostalgia. The marketing for Barbie, which is probably gonna skew on the young side, uses songs from Indigo Girls (1989) and Cass Elliot (1969). We're just a decade removed from James Gunn hitting big with what was essentially a juke box space opera with nothing but stuff that gave him the warm and fuzzies when he was a baby, and a third of those movies just came out and hit big again. When the next James Bond comes along, whatever fresh take they have, I'm pretty sure they're gonna use the song from the '60s again. As a culture, we're swimming in this stuff. So I have to push back against the notion that a fifty year old Elton tune is an impediment to financial success. 

Even in the wrestling space, we're obsessed with the old. Consider some of the licensed music in AEW.  Or that even when a guy like Moxley is working a Bloodsport date, he'll use like a thirty year old Courtney Love song for his walkout. Or that Elsa is quite right in thinking that we want Gimme Back My Bullets for Mark Briscoe. We still get excited when Steve Austin comes back. It's allegedly a big deal that the Rock is gonna work WrestleMania in the near future (this is my groaner, but it will be a big deal). The Hardys are wrestling on TV next week. And we're in the thread for what we expect to be an older-skewing Saturday wrestling show with a star and main event that are meant to give me the warm and fuzzies I had in 2004. Cutting edge is fine, and has its place, both in wrestling and outside of it. But for what this is, and what a decent chunk of wrestling is, a fifty year old Elton tune doesn't feel like a huge barrier to entry. 

Or I could have just said what Sparkleface said and saved myself all this typing. Shit. 

I was concise, you were expansive. Good one-two punch.

That said, I do think it's disingenuous to act like this is just some random 50 year old song picked because the name had "Saturday" in it. It's an Elton John song, which is notoriously expensive to license, so that's a status symbol. It's also Elton freaking John, who put something like 150,000 people over three days in Dodger Stadium last year. It's like saying "no thanks, I don't want to have a literal living legend involved in my production, get me a Soundcloud rapper".

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I was concise, you were expansive. Good one-two punch.

That said, I do think it's disingenuous to act like this is just some random 50 year old song too picked because the name had "Saturday" in it. It's an Elton John song, which is notoriously expensive to license, so that's a status symbol. It's also Elton freaking John, who put something like 150,000 people over three days in Dodger Stadium last year. It's like saying "no thanks, I don't want to have a literal living legend involved in my production, get me a Soundcloud rapper".

Counterpoint: Tony could have licensed the WCW Nitro theme for $100 and used the rest of the money to license "Final Countdown" for Danielson

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

John made a lot of valid points. But for instance yes, Top Gun was a big deal. Was it shot with the same cameras from 1986 tho? Or is it just using nostalgia on a new project that was made for the current times? I'm mostly making assumption on this since I didn't catch either one haha. Sweet Caroline is a song that gets played every single night of the week at every karaoke bar. Which makes it relevant and generational. I've literally never heard this Elton John song at a bar or sporting event. I see the point you're making, but I don't think it's a fair comparison. Would you consider this song to have the same pop culture impact as Sweet Caroline? I will concede maybe it has that same consistent and memorable rotation at places I don't go?

I mean I don't frequent karaoke bars either unless forced to, so I digress.

16 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

That said, I do think it's disingenuous to act like this is just some random 50 year old song picked because the name had "Saturday" in it. It's an Elton John song, which is notoriously expensive to license, so that's a status symbol. It's also Elton freaking John, who put something like 150,000 people over three days in Dodger Stadium last year. It's like saying "no thanks, I don't want to have a literal living legend involved in my production, get me a Soundcloud rapper".

It's not just some random 50 year old song picked because of Saturday being in the name? News to me. Yes I know Elton John is a mega star and cultural icon. But I personally couldn't name any of his songs. So maybe this is a blind spot for me. I mean the rapper I listed has 36 million streams a month on Spotify. Hardly a Soundcloud rapper lol. That's not even my genre or anyone I listen to. Elton John pulls about 56 million streams a month. I don't think the disparity is as big as you think it is and the numbers seem to back that up.

I will tap out on this debate and just accept that my preferred outlook on this one isn't the majority opinion. I really don't want a whole Pitbull trend to ignite here lol. Regardless of my feelings on the choice (from a business perspective) I still think it's an awful choice based on the actual tempo and content of the song too. But that's my last parting shot about it lol.

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Is a show’s theme song really a draw? I mean they can’t all be Duck Tales

Making a big deal out of it when NBA has a blanket music license on the same network and regularly uses pop songs to come in and out of breaks is kinda silly

Kinda surprised Tony hasn't tried leveraging the Jags stadium licensing to use pop music on-air. I forget the exact circumstances, but while ECW was in operation Paul Heyman funded a local-access music video show in New York so that if any of the record companies came after him for nonpayment, he had that defense to fall back on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's not just some random 50 year old song picked because of Saturday being in the name? News to me. Yes I know Elton John is a mega star and cultural icon. But I personally couldn't name any of his songs. So maybe this is a blind spot for me. I mean the rapper I listed has 36 million streams a month on Spotify. Hardly a Soundcloud rapper lol. That's not even my genre or anyone I listen to. Elton John pulls about 56 million streams a month. I don't think the disparity is as big as you think it is and the numbers seem to back that up.

I will tap out on this debate and just accept that my preferred outlook on this one isn't the majority opinion. I really don't want a whole Pitbull trend to ignite here lol. Regardless of my feelings on the choice (from a business perspective) I still think it's an awful choice based on the actual tempo and content of the song too. But that's my last parting shot about it lol.

I'd say you're making too big a deal about this but you might get back onto rope colors.

Oh crap, do we know what the rope colors are? Are they pre-approved?

Edit: To clarify, I am kidding. I should add an emoji next time.

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not before Mark Briscoe comes out to Gimme Back My Bullets.

dixie Dave would play it live for a case of cough syrup

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Best Kate Bush song. I'm a fan of Kate Bush. I actually prefer Placebo's cover of Running Up That Hill especially this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kPZT3wgoy4&pp=ygUgcGxhY2VibyBydW5uaW5nIHVwIHRoYXQgaGlsbCBiYmM%3D

I’m a Jorn man myself

• Like 1