DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL  "Advocating for women in the WWE Universe."  This fucking company's excessive branding and revisionist history.   She was hired to work an angle where she was in a female wrestler's corner, FFS.  A female wrestler who was used up and thrown out shortly thereafter by two carny pimps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL  "Advocating for women in the WWE Universe."  This fucking company's excessive branding and revisionist history.   She was hired to work an angle where she was in a female wrestler's corner, FFS.  A female wrestler who was used up and thrown out shortly thereafter by two carny pimps.

i like that the further implication is "Cyndi Lauper wanted female wrestling, but we [the company] were like 'nah' for 20+ years."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i like that the further implication is "Cyndi Lauper wanted female wrestling, but we [the company] were like 'nah' for 20+ years."

LOL

"On one hand, we had a reasonably progressive musician wanting to move the artform forward.  On the other, we had an abusive con artist who wanted 35% from all the female workers.  Our rule is to always go with the more evil option."

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL

"On one hand, we had a reasonably progressive musician wanting to move the artform forward.  On the other, we had an abusive con artist who wanted 35% from all the female workers.  Our rule is to always go with the more evil option."

Isn't that chiseled into the wall above the entrance to the WWE headquarters?

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just saw this FB reel where Kurt Angle German Suplexed a wrestler who had Rey Mysterio around the waist, but not like he was going for a German of his own. It sent Rey flying farther than he would have from a regular German. No clue what that’s from but it’s 1 of the coolest spots ever. Kurt Angle is maybe the GOAT innovative spot that doesn’t involve props man. 

Pretty sure that's the WM 22 triple threat with Orton.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

What are you even talking about? Didn’t Stephanie McMahon invent women’s wrestling just like 7 years ago?

Edited by Log
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Criminal Cyndi Lauper isn't in the WWE HOF

Considering she hasn’t been with Dave Wolff for 35 years, I could see how she’s not exactly running towards embracing the time she spent with the WWF

How bad was Blondie’s luck that Chris Stein got an autoimmune disease and the band broke up just before the wrestling boom? (Yeah I know the band had also had a slight downturn before their breakup too)

1 hour ago, Log said:

What are you even talking about? Didn’t Stephanie McMahon invent women’s wrestling just like 7 years ago?

And they called the PPV "Women's Evolution!"  Like I guess they were amoeba or something before High Evolutionary Steph came along 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering she hasn’t been with Dave Wolff for 35 years, I could see how she’s not exactly running towards embracing the time she spent with the WWF

Well she did an appearance with Wendi on RAW in 2012 so who knows?

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Pretty sure that's the WM 22 triple threat with Orton.

That match definitely has that spot and I'm not that sure all those three were in the ring together all that often, so it almost has to be where it's from.

On 6/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I just saw this FB reel where Kurt Angle German Suplexed a wrestler who had Rey Mysterio around the waist, but not like he was going for a German of his own. It sent Rey flying farther than he would have from a regular German. No clue what that’s from but it’s 1 of the coolest spots ever. Kurt Angle is maybe the GOAT innovative spot that doesn’t involve props man. 

There was a three way on RAW where Angle German supposed suplexed Cena who was holding up Big Show for an AA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

FzPI8c4WIAc3Gew?format=jpg&name=small

I saw his first match live, only WWE show I ever went to. Could've sworn that he hurt Estrada a lot worse and the match wasn't televised, guess my memory is catching up to my age.

• Like 1

watching an episode of WCW Power Hour from March 1991 and just realized that Mark (Killer) Kyle could have made some money if he broke into the business when Gary Hart was a prominent manager because Killer Kyle looks like he could pass as Gary Hart's son/relative

this resemblance kinda requires Kyle to have just a mustache though

The Steiners did a doomsday-style Rick Steiner bulldog on Kyle to beat him, which wasn't near the most insane thing that the Steiners would do to guys back then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching an episode of WCW Power Hour from March 1991 and just realized that Mark (Killer) Kyle could have made some money if he broke into the business when Gary Hart was a prominent manager because Killer Kyle looks like he could pass as Gary Hart's son/relative

this resemblance kinda requires Kyle to have just a mustache though

The Steiners did a doomsday-style Rick Steiner bulldog on Kyle to beat him, which wasn't near the most insane thing that the Steiners would do to guys back then.

You mean doing Dragon suplexes and screwdrivers as transition moves? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You mean doing Dragon suplexes and screwdrivers as transition moves? 

the Steiners doing a Doomsday DDT to Death Row 3280 or whatever that fat dude's name was comes to mind

the move that fucked up Buff Bagwell's neck wasn't their most dangerous move

42 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Steiners doing a Doomsday DDT to Death Row 3280 or whatever that fat dude's name was comes to mind

the move that fucked up Buff Bagwell's neck wasn't their most dangerous move

Not even close...I mean Rick just lost control of Buff. That's an act of god on a routine move. 

For morbid curiosity purposes, I need to track down the full match with Lioness Asuka's disastrous liger bomb (forgot her name for it) in 1998 on Dynamite Kansai that had to be the scariest landing on a powerbomb I ever seen. It was at the AJW's 30th anniversary show in 1998, a year after Plum Mariko passed away after taking either the same or similar move. Apparently, Kansai was hurt prior to the move and inadvertently sandbagged Lioness. So the back of her head slams into that hard ass mat those women had to wrestle on and her body goes into the fencing response immediately. The craziest and most pro wrestling thing about it is it was six woman tag with the former big joshi stars (hence Lioness Asuka's participation) that went to the planned 30 minute broadway. These folks had to work around a woman who was knocked out cold, which was very similar to what had with Alex Reynolds during the pandemic shows in AEW.

This begs the question of whether or not Japanese wrestling had/has a universal symbol like the X in WWE for the termination of a match once a combatant is seriously injured? If they do, at what point did they start using it? 

• Like 1

That reminds me of a tag in Stardom from 2012. It was Nanae & Aikawa vs. Hiroyo & Bito. Everything was going well until Bito accidently KOed Aikawa around 7-10 minutes. Nanae dragged Aikawa to the corner and tagged in, having to work the rest of the 30 minute draw on her own. Aikawa had regained consciousness a few minutes later, but she was clearly a bit loopy and in no condition to actually continue the match. Its been a while so may be misremembering, but I think she was on the apron but never brought back in.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That reminds me of a tag in Stardom from 2012. It was Nanae & Aikawa vs. Hiroyo & Bito. Everything was going well until Bito accidently KOed Aikawa around 7-10 minutes. Nanae dragged Aikawa to the corner and tagged in, having to work the rest of the 30 minute draw on her own. Aikawa had regained consciousness a few minutes later, but she was clearly a bit loopy and in no condition to actually continue the match. Its been a while so may be misremembering, but I think she was on the apron but never brought back in.

Maybe Joshi is just hazardous. There was 2 day tag team tournament Zenjo had in 1996 where the vets tagged with rookies. Aja Kong tagged with a very young, pre WCW Women's Cruiserweight title winner and future Rainbow and Citi Trends store shopping, Cash Money taking over for the 99 and 2000s hot girl Yoshiko Tamura. In the second round on day two, they wrestle Kyoko Inoue and Chaparita ASARI. Surprisingly, it's not Aja (who was also involved in the aforementioned legends match above) who was involved in said injury. Chaparita ASARI, who has probably only landed the Sky Twister Press cleanly three times out of like 600 attempts over her career, absolutely botches it against Tamura and concusses her with via accidental headbutt. Concusses her bad. Now she wasn't knocked out cold. Matter of fact, ASARI is in the one in worst shape appearance wise cause she is basically out of the match until the finish. She just clutches her shoulder laying down on the apron the entire rest of the match basically. Tamura just stumbles around rocked and clutches her head. She somehow is doing spots while clearly out of it. 

That's not the worst part, my friends. They win the match. And then they win in the next match! SO SHE HAS TO WRESTLE TWO MATCHES AFTER SUFFERING A CONCUSSION . Even worse, between the matches, they cut to a seated Aja Kong talking while an also seated Tamura is hunched over head down on the table like a student sleeping in class. SHE'S GOING TO SLEEP ON CAMERA. WHAT IN THE ENTIRE FUCK, ZENJO? Why wouldn't you rush her to the hospital and get a substitute for Aja's partner? She's clearly in distress after suffering a traumatic brain injury, and they made her wrestle multiple times. Keep in mind, this is ten years before Tamura and Azumi Hyuga had the most brutal and hellacious women's match of all time over 60 minutes. In between that, based on Tamura's wrestling style, she probably suffered a dozen plus concussions and even afterwards until she retired in 2010.

If that happened today in one of the major companies, that's EASILY the worst promotional tactic award winner in the Observer. I don't care if Vince showed up butt ass naked on a WWE PLE and took a shower in Saudi money. It's second to something like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1