DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Goddamit, it finally happened: Udonis Haslem officially announced his retirement, making me older than every active player in the NBA.  It's so over.

Also Haslem is one of my favorite players so respect to him on a damn fine career.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Goddamit, it finally happened: Udonis Haslem officially announced his retirement, making me older than every active player in the NBA.  It's so over.

Also Haslem is one of my favorite players so respect to him on a damn fine career.

Hell of a career for a guy who went both undrafted and unsigned coming out of college.

I, too, kept hoping he would stick around another year to keep one player older than me. I think only MLB still has active guys older than I am amongst the big four.

I assume Udonis gets a coaching job from Miami, and pretty much works there for life.

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Anthony Davis is getting a 3/186 max extension to be injured for the Lakers

Just three years ago he signed a five year/$189 million extension with them. He's getting just three million dollars less on this for two less years. Salary explosion man.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Suns announced that both Shawn Marion and Amar’e Stoudemire will be inducted into their Ring of Honor which includes retiring their numbers

Am I wrong, or do they seem a bit below "retiring their numbers"-tier players?

26 minutes ago, Log said:

I mean that is always the debate - but that applies to all Team Hall of Fames/Ring of Honors, etc...

I look at them like the WWE Hall of Fame in that they are gonna put whoever the fuck they want so don't try to think about it too much

And this is from someone whose favorite team (the Yankees) have WAY too many people retired

Plus if you look just at franchise stats - they both rank fairly highly in a lot of categories

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Log said:

I mean, no Heat player going forward will ever wear #40 again because of Udonis Haslem.  He's never going to see the Hall of Fame unless he buys a ticket.  But his meaning to the Heat franchise is immeasurable.  

• Like 2

James Harden has said he will hold out of Sixers camp and is demanding a trade to the Clippers.  

I'm sure this is perfectly fine and the Association won't mind a player directly trying to influence his team's trade prospects. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

James Harden has said he will hold out of Sixers camp and is demanding a trade to the Clippers.  

I'm sure this is perfectly fine and the Association won't mind a player directly trying to influence his team's trade prospects. 

The Sixers say they have taken him off the market and will bring him to camp.

Certainly James Harden wouldn't consider showing up so he gets paid, but being wildly out of shape and putting forward no effort. That isn't something he would do, right?

On 8/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The Sixers say they have taken him off the market and will bring him to camp.

Yeah about that...

That's certainly one way of saying you're sick of hearing  1... 2, 3, 4, 5, Sixers!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2023 at 10:38 AM, Greggulator said:

I live in Philly and am a huge NBA fan and I hope the Sixers fold.

And in the land of nothing means anything but means everything...  Embiid might be looking for the door in Philly. 

He's removed all Philly mentions in his social media bios.  And the rumor mill is starting to churn...

14 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Harden got fined $100k for his comments on Daryl Morey

A bit of context for anyone curious: Harden was interviewed by the NBA because they thought Philly might've struck a Joe Smith in Minnesota under the table deal for a new contract this summer when he signed for less last year. Harden explained that the lie was actually that Morey had promised to trade him quickly when he opted in, then instead is holding on to him. So Harden essentially was fined for publicly trying to pressure the Sixers into trading him. It appears lying to Harden, if Morey really did, will carry no penalties.

(I still can't believe Minnesota ended up basically wasting KG's prime because they negotiated under the table with Joe Fucking Smith. The ended losing I think 4 first round picks over the course of five years.)

• Like 2

I don't think we need a thread for the FIBA World Cup, but what the hell happened to France? Canada beat them down by 30 to start group play, and then Latvia made a comeback and knocked them off by 2. France, the defending Olympic silver medalist, the team that has the most recent wins over the USA, etc etc is eliminated before even getting to their last group play game.

The good news for them is they still get to play in the Olympics because they are the host country.

• 2 weeks later...

The Blazers, who are famously trying to trade Dame to anyone *but* Miami, have found all the offers they're getting are "unimpressive."  💔

The expectation is if he gets traded to anyone but the Heat, he'll hold out and instantly demand a trade ((to Miami)).  (The parenthesis are because, of course, he's not allowed to demand a trade to a specific team. Nope. Absolutely not.)

It's gonna be hilarious when they finally go back to the Heat and end up getting like half of what was originally offered by the Heat.