DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

Can Whitmore at 20! Wow! There were reports of the Rockets wanting him at 4! It’s like we got two #4 picks!

There were also reports about him falling, but I didn't expect it to be that far.

Apparently there's a lot of talk that Whitmire's medicals were concerning, hence the slide from "Houston and Detroit are both considering him at 4-5" to Houston getting him at 20.

If he is healthy, between him and Thompson, Houston damn sure got a lot more athletic tonight.

Aside from 2018, that was probably the most competent draft night I've ever seen Dallas have in my time as a fan.  Lively is a dude I was REALLY hoping we'd go after, and I really do see Tyson Chadler potential with him. Prosper at 24 is a sneaky good grab, and addresses another need on the roster. I initially like the trade for Holmes, but idk if I'm as excited for that as I would have been 3 years ago..

12 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I don't get the Chris Paul trade at all. Doesn't fir their style of play at all, injury prone, doesn't make them bigger. Baffling. 

It also has Curry and Paul competing for Point Guard minutes.   BRILLIANT~!

Even if the plan is to put Paul on the bench so that Curry has game relief, it is still a stupid plan.  Chris is somewhat injury prone and being cold on the bench will make matters worse.  Chris needs to start and also needs to get his minutes in so that he stays limber.

Edited by J.T.

As someone who watched way too much Gradey Dick from Kansas,  he already felt like the kind of guy Duke fans drool over.   And then I saw his NBA draft outfit and now I am even more convinced.   Am I kind of jealous?  Yeah kind of because he was a hell of a player but yeah come on 🤨

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, hammerva said:

As someone who watched way too much Gradey Dick from Kansas,  he already felt like the kind of guy Duke fans drool over.   And then I saw his NBA draft outfit and now I am even more convinced.   Am I kind of jealous?  Yeah kind of because he was a hell of a player but yeah come on 🤨

I feel like that suit was already doomed conceptually, but the shoulderpads and matching mock-turtleneck put it firmly in "grandma dressed up on her trip to Vegas" territory.

Also I didn't realize until last night that we went to my HS' rival.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

His mom averaged *40* a game as a senior at Iowa State. 40!

The official haul for Marcus Smart. I use Haul because, well, when you work through all the trades they made during the draft..

• Kristaps Porzingis
• Jordan Walsh
• 2024 R1 pick (GSW, top-4 protected)
• 2024 R2 pick (DAL)
• 2025 R2 pick (best of DET, GSW or WAS)
• 2026 R2 pick (best of MIN, NOP, NYK or POR)
• 2027 R2 pick (ATL)

That's a haul.

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

The official haul for Marcus Smart. I use Haul because, well, when you work through all the trades they made during the draft..

• Kristaps Porzingis
• Jordan Walsh
• 2024 R1 pick (GSW, top-4 protected)
• 2024 R2 pick (DAL)
• 2025 R2 pick (best of DET, GSW or WAS)
• 2026 R2 pick (best of MIN, NOP, NYK or POR)
• 2027 R2 pick (ATL)

That's a haul.

Behold the power of a good player on a really good contract for three more years.

• Like 1

Per Wojo

In a deal that delivers the franchise dramatic financial flexibility, the Atlanta Hawks are trading forward John Collins to the Utah Jazz, sources told ESPN on Monday.

The Hawks are acquiring forward Rudy Gay and a future second-round pick for Collins, who is owed $78 million over the next three seasons, sources said. The swap creates a $25.3 million trade exception for the Hawks -- the largest in the NBA. Atlanta has a year to potentially use the exception to take on a player's contract.

The trade cannot become official until July 6.

Heat News:

- Gabe Vincent is a high priority to re-sign. Regardless of whether or not they land Dame. (Though someone less cap constrained may wildly overpay.) 

- Kevin Love and the Heat are working on a contract.  Both sides liked what they saw. 

- Kyle Lowry is probably being thrown into the Everglades, assuming there's no trade partners available. 

The LA Clippers waived guard Eric Gordon on Wednesday night in a move that will save them over $100 million on their projected tax bill.

The Clippers decided not to guarantee Gordon's $21 million contract before Thursday's deadline, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

According to ESPN's Bobby Marks, the Clippers will drop their projected tax bill from $169 million to $59 million. The team is $18 million over the $165 million tax threshold.

James Harden picked up his player option for next year and the Sixers are working on finding a trade for him.

There is a catch: He's not eligible for an extension so he'll be an unrestricted FA after this upcoming season, so whoever trades for him has to trust that he'll re-sign.

Apparently the early leader for Harden's services are the Clippers and Knicks.  (Because of course...)

Miami is trying to work out a sign and trade with Cleveland to send Max Strus.   Otherwise, it looks like Indiana is gonna be where he lands. 

Looks like he's getting traded into cap space and they're getting a $19M trade exception.  Brooklyn is also sending a second rounder in the deal.

Edited by Zimbra

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Brooklyn is trading Joe Harris to Detroit.

Terms undisclosed for now. 

What I saw Detroit getting Harris and some picks but haven't seen what Brooklyn gets in return other than salary cap relief.