DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

ABEMA is owned partially by TV Asahi (i.e. the broadcaster tied to NJPW). They've aired New Japan shows. Their majority owner is CyberAgent. Which owns Cyberfight. Which is the umbrella for DDT and NOAH.

Raw and Smackdown have not been on air anywhere in Japan since their deal with J-Sports ended at the beginning of 2022.

If this message board is still here next year, then all NOAH talk can and should be in the 2024 Puroresu thread instead.

It was the Mutoh and the various (now discarded) other introduced elements that got me re-interested in NOAH again, but now that NOAH changed again, I'm not that strongly interested in NOAH anymore. 

1 hour ago, Ramo2653 said:

If Kelly is out with NJPW that means he going to stay as the PBP guy on Collison? Damn.

Yeah I agree with you. But Riccaboni doesn't want the job so unless they put Schiavonie (which I'd be fine with) or JR (shudders) in his place I think you're stuck with Kelly

• Sad 1

My hopes are that focusing on one promotion will help Kelly improve in AEW. 

I thought most of his pre-pandemic work in NJPW was overall good, verging on great when he genuinely got in to a match that he called live and in person.

But, it sounded like having to do a lot of remote commentary maybe burned him out. I have no idea if that's anything beyond speculation. Having to do solo commentary on a show that happened three days ago and half a world away seems like a pretty unenviable task if you have to do it for several years running (never mind not wanting to constantly travel abroad while trying to maintain some semblance of a home life). I don't blame him if he couldn't summon the excitement for it any longer.

Yuya Uemura is X and the newest member of J5Gs.

Lio Rush is out sick so YOH is taking his place in the Jr Heavy title match three way.

Abema: Hey, we just signed a deal with the WWE to broadcast their shows.

NJPW: Cool, here, have a four hour show main evented by SANADA vs EVIL.

I enjoyed Destruction. Not a masterpiece show or anything, but the main three-way and the lumberjack match were good. I'd hardly rate the lumberjack match a 5* classic but I liked it because it was something a little different for New Japan. It did what it needed to do. Closed the book on J5G and House of Torture and set up Wrestle Kingdom.

• Like 1

Kojima dressed up as The Mummy at NOAH Monday Magic. Monday Magic seems to be NOAH's sorta serial drama series. It's booked by Nosawa.

NOAH The Home, the show for rookies and future champions on the top now does shows with crowds and isn't just in the dojo anymore.

Edited by 赤い竜

Bushi Road had their state of the promotion press conference sorry, "joint business strategy presentation" today.

Another NJPW/Stardom Historic X-Over show will happen.

They are looking to form the Asia Pacific Pro-Wrestling Alliance by working with promotions in Taiwan, China, Thailand and other countries. Some of the Puzzle guys (Taiwan promotion) have been doing shots with Kyushu Pro and I think some DDT affiliated stuff. They are planning to have a show in Taipei.

There is some stuff in the full presentation that is not included in the link below.

https://www.njpw1972.com/160917

• Like 1

Saki Akai’s retirement bout

DDT Ultimate Party Nov 12th 

Saki Akai, Yukio Sakaguchi and Hideki Okatani vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Kazusada Higuchi and Miyu Yamashita

Before that she will have her final match in TJPW on Nov 3, Saki Akai and Yuki Kamifuku vs Hyper Misao and Rika Tatsumi.

And again before that, Reiwa AA Cannon is finished so former teammates Saki Akai and Yuki Arai will face each other in a singles match on 27/10/2023 in TJPW.