DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

It’s possible the stars are aligning for people to passively aggressively blame Dax Harwood if Sasha/Mercedes doesn’t debut on AEW next week.

“they were together in Japan last week and he told her to not come to AEW because FTR is mad at the office, rabble rabble”

• Haha 4

I embarrassingly kind of forgot about Trinity. Now I wonder/think we're gonna get double-secret-faked out - Shida will take out Toni, and Saraya's replacement partner will be Naomi. Heels will either get DQed or win via chicanery, and then during the post-match, just as the heels are about to take Saraya's neck out ala that Seth Rollins/Edge segment a few years ago, THAT's when Sasha debuts to make the big babyface save.

• Thanks 2

How many womens feuds could this company have before some of them get lost in the shuffle?

Adjusting my "Shida gets framed for attacking Tori" idea to include Shida pledging to find the real attacker to the disbelief of others, only for it to turn out in the end that Shida was right and either Sasha or Naomi attacked Toni.

I'm sure there have been some feuds that basically wrapped up with "my bad" and the two feuding people getting back together after patching it up.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:17 PM, JLowe said:

Wait, that's what Demo God is referring to? I assumed it was Fozzy's albums.

C'mon, those are actual albums! It would be funny though, if Jericho, who thinks VERY highly of himself and his place in every industry he's involved in, would consider Fozzy's material still being on demo-level.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hangman Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II was in my top three 2022 MOTY and my 2022 AEW MOTY. A ***** match. I actually think the 60 minute match is the better of the two. Gave both *****. What match do you prefer?

I think these are still the top 2 singles matches in AEW history so far. I lean towards the second one as my favourite for having an actual finish. That last Buckshot in the video you posted is so satisfying, feels heavy and the flip is slow and brutal and not flippy at all if that makes sense.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

I think these are still the top 2 singles matches in AEW history so far. I lean towards the second one as my favourite for having an actual finish. That last Buckshot in the video you posted is so satisfying, feels heavy and the flip is slow and brutal and not flippy at all if that makes sense.

Thank you. My top five AEW singles matches ever:

5. MJF vs. CM Punk. AEW Dynamite, 2nd February 2022. *****.

4. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022. *****.

3. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW St. Patrick's Day Slam Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.

I know some don't like draws in wrestling but I don't have a problem with them if done well. Ditto for long matches.

• Like 2

I'd say the following wrestlers had their best AEW match with Bryan Danielson:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****. Some would go with Omega/Page vs. Young Bucks at AEW Revolution 2020.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution 2022, 6th March 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. AEW Rampage, 29th October 2021. Some would go with Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho on AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Jericho. AEW Dynamite, 14th September 2022. Some would go with Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Kingston on AEW Revolution, 6th March 2022.

I'd say Daniel Garcia and Sammy Guevara but I don't have the dates for those.

• Like 1

I’m eager to see if the Ironman match is better than the two matches MJF had with Punk. I believe that match on the Thanksgiving episode of Dynamite was near an hour, 40 minutes or something like that.

I feel like MJF’s style is better suited towards people like Mox and Punk, rather than someone like Danielson.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

I’m eager to see if the Ironman match is better than the two matches MJF had with Punk. I believe that match on the Thanksgiving episode of Dynamite was near an hour, 40 minutes or something like that.

I feel like MJF’s style is better suited towards people like Mox and Punk, rather than someone like Danielson.

36 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They had a promo on Thanksgiving prior to Punk wrestling QT. The match you're thinking of took place on February 2nd.

I'm intrigued. The two Punk/MJF bouts are great, both ***** but I prefer the Chicago one on AEW Dynamite. Still bummed out we didn't get the trilogy match last year and possibly never will.

I watched Kenny/Okada vs Cobb/Henare and I'm trying to figure out if they are going for Kenny vs Ospreay or Kenny/Cobb in AEW.  I'm guessing the Elite win Wednesday and some form of United Empire take the trios belts by pinning Kenny- either Will or Jeff to set up a singles match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I watched Kenny/Okada vs Cobb/Henare and I'm trying to figure out if they are going for Kenny vs Ospreay or Kenny/Cobb in AEW.  I'm guessing the Elite win Wednesday and some form of United Empire take the trios belts by pinning Kenny- either Will or Jeff to set up a singles match.

I can see Omega/Ospreay at Forbidden Door II.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I can see Omega/Ospreay at Forbidden Door II.

Or maybe Ospreay/Cobb/O-Khan vs the Elite at Forbidden Door II to set-up the New Japan rematch between Omega/Ospreay with Omega/Cobb in Strong or something.  I don't know if New Japan would give away Omega/Ospreay.  But maybe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

Or maybe Ospreay/Cobb/O-Khan vs the Elite at Forbidden Door II to set-up the New Japan rematch between Omega/Ospreay with Omega/Cobb in Strong or something.  I don't know if New Japan would give away Omega/Ospreay.  But maybe.

Good call.

Hopefully Forbidden Door II won't be as snakebit as the inaugural one was. Miracle turned out so well losing Bryan Danielson, CM Punk and Tomohiro Ishii off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Good call.

Hopefully Forbidden Door II won't be as snakebit as the inaugural one was. Miracle turned out so well losing Bryan Danielson, CM Punk and Tomohiro Ishii off the top of my head.

Forbidden Door was awesome because you had such a gigantic pool of talent that you could stick any two parts together and you got a good to great match.  Fuck, I want a rematch of Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy for the All-Atlantic title now.

• Like 7

MJF is a really good wrestler, AmDrag is an all time great, but I have zero interest in a 60 minute Iron Man match. Nothing matters in those matches until the final 2 minutes. I’m sure everything leading up to those final 2 minutes will be pretty good, but it’s hard to get into knowing it’s all a little meaningless.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

MJF is a really good wrestler, AmDrag is an all time great, but I have zero interest in a 60 minute Iron Man match. Nothing matters in those matches until the final 2 minutes. I’m sure everything leading up to those final 2 minutes will be pretty good, but it’s hard to get into knowing it’s all a little meaningless.

Bret-Shawn was boring and ruined the concept for a generation that had to sit through it - there's been much better Iron Man matches since