DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So No Hard Feelings is the movie with the naked beach fight? I somehow saw that (did someone post a link here or was it Facebook? Maybe Insta?) but had no idea where it was from. Anyway, she looks all of 23 tops no matter how old she is so that premise is fucking stupid. 

What I liked in Killers Re: the pissing you off/depressing you part is

Spoiler

at the end you might've gotten swept up in the courtroom/behind-the-scenes drama and forgot about the central premise but the coda slams it home. Scorcese makes double sure of that with taking the final speech and that heartbreaking last line. It really is one of his finest pieces of cinema ever, that whole section... brought to you by Lucky Strikes, no less. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Big Easy does at least have a great soundtrack.

This is a funny thing about Where the Buffalo Roam: it originally had a great soundtrack scored by Neil Young and spotted with classics by the Four Tops and such but when it came out on video the studio was too cheap to pay the royalties so aside from Young's work and one Creedence song they cut everything out and replaced it with generic imitations. So a bad movie with a great soundtrack ended up a bad movie with a half-bad soundtrack 😄

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

So No Hard Feelings is the movie with the naked beach fight? I somehow saw that (did someone post a link here or was it Facebook? Maybe Insta?) but had no idea where it was from. Anyway, she looks all of 23 tops no matter how old she is so that premise is fucking stupid. 

What I liked in Killers Re: the pissing you off/depressing you part is

Hide contents

at the end you might've gotten swept up in the courtroom/behind-the-scenes drama and forgot about the central premise but the coda slams it home. Scorcese makes double sure of that with taking the final speech and that heartbreaking last line. It really is one of his finest pieces of cinema ever, that whole section... brought to you by Lucky Strikes, no less. 

Regarding KotFM, what I'm really interested in is if I'm going to have any kind of whiplash from just finishing watching Reservation Dogs, which is maybe one of the best series I've seen, to then watching Killers.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding KotFM, what I'm really interested in is if I'm going to have any kind of whiplash from just finishing watching Reservation Dogs, which is maybe one of the best series I've seen, to then watching Killers.

Having not finished Rez Dogs and only read the KotFM book, I think you'll more likely come away making connections to generational trauma.

In my work, we sometimes do projects in Oklahoma and the Osage Tribal Historic Preservation Office is one of the most demanding, to the point where they've basically set the standard for archaeological survey work in a state that didn't really have anything official. After reading KotFM, I not only no longer felt frustrated by it but honestly feel like they're being somewhat reasonable.

• Like 1

He has a shitload of cameos in his own movies.  He's the irritating dispatch guy in Bringing Out the Dead, he's the show director who thinks Rupert's lines for Tony Randall are funny in King of Comedy, he's a dude up in the rafters bopping around in the techno/industrial club scene in After Hours.

I blame him for M. Night Shyamalan being awful in all of his own shit.

38 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

He has a shitload of cameos in his own movies.  He's the irritating dispatch guy in Bringing Out the Dead, he's the show director who thinks Rupert's lines for Tony Randall are funny in King of Comedy, he's a dude up in the rafters bopping around in the techno/industrial club scene in After Hours.

I blame him for M. Night Shyamalan being awful in all of his own shit.

Presumably it all goes back to Hitchcock.

• Like 1

I remember Milos Forman popping up as Jack Nicholson’s friend in Heartburn and being confused. Honestly, if Polanski had stayed out of trouble he would have probably been in a lot of movies. 

M. Night was definitely filled with false confidence because of Tarantino and Kevin Smith’s 90s runs as directors who cast themselves. 

• Like 1

He was the shooter in the car at the end of Mean Streets, too. 

It's pretty clear he also is the voice of the camera operator in one of the scenes where people are having their photos taken in Killers as well

EDIT: Isn't he also in Gangs of New York as the rich guy sitting down to eat with his family who gets robbed by Cameron Diaz? At this rate it's probably easier to pick a movie of his that he doesn't have a walk-on in. He's probably some guy from the UN in Kundun too. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

He was the shooter in the car at the end of Mean Streets, too. 

It's pretty clear he also is the voice of the camera operator in one of the scenes where people are having their photos taken in Killers as well

EDIT: Isn't he also in Gangs of New York as the rich guy sitting down to eat with his family who gets robbed by Cameron Diaz? At this rate it's probably easier to pick a movie of his that he doesn't have a walk-on in. He's probably some guy from the UN in Kundun too. 

Yes, he’s the rich guy at the dinner table in Gangs of New York. He also did the voice over explaining 9 ball at the beginning of The Color of Money. 

• Like 1

If there was ever a movie that needed an intermission it is that one.   Three and a half hours is a long fucking time if you bought a large beverage to drink and have an old man's bladder.

TMK there has only been one 3+ hour Marvel movie and that was Endgame clocking in at 3 hours and a minute. 

Most of them run two hours and some change which is the average length of the average Marty movie.

Killers is nearly three and a half hours, but it's not crazy long like Lawrence of Arabia or The Ten Commandments or anything.

Edited by J.T.

Hey, we were gone four hours and the theater is (if you rush it), exactly eight minutes from my house (my old job was right next door which is how I know). It's not quite related to needing an intermission, but for people that have to worry about traffic... Anyway, my mom had given up on serving dinner and just left it in the oven. The old man only got up once but didn't miss anything. I sat there with my 40 of soda without an issue because I was smart enough to go ahead of time.