Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2022


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Dax vs. Cash made prompted me to treat myself and get a ticket to see Dax vs. Cash live from the Liacouras Center this Wednesday night. I can't wait.

I’m jealous, although I did have the Dax-Punk match here in Austin.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JLowe said:

I’m jealous, although I did have the Dax-Punk match here in Austin.

Huge week for me because I also saw Jawbreaker last night. Child rearing makes it hard. But I couldn't miss Dax vs. Cash, along with whatever Eddie Kingston may or may not do. I'm also four train stops away from Temple University's campus so I have to do it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Huge week for me because I also saw Jawbreaker last night. Child rearing makes it hard. But I couldn't miss Dax vs. Cash, along with whatever Eddie Kingston may or may not do. I'm also four train stops away from Temple University's campus so I have to do it.

Jawbreaker show, awesome! They seem to be skipping Texas this year.

Wife and I are actually looking to move to Philly area in a year or two, my company just opened an office there (well technically West Chester), my mom and brother and family are in Allentown and one of my wife’s best friends lives on Abingdon. I may be reaching out for neighborhood recommendations eventually.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Dax vs. Cash made prompted me to treat myself and get a ticket to see Dax vs. Cash live from the Liacouras Center this Wednesday night. I can't wait.

Nice! Have yourself a good un, @Greggulator!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Dax vs. Cash made prompted me to treat myself and get a ticket to see Dax vs. Cash live from the Liacouras Center this Wednesday night. I can't wait.

I had to make sure I was there for this as well! It will be my first AEW show.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JLowe said:

Jawbreaker show, awesome! They seem to be skipping Texas this year.

Wife and I are actually looking to move to Philly area in a year or two, my company just opened an office there (well technically West Chester), my mom and brother and family are in Allentown and one of my wife’s best friends lives on Abingdon. I may be reaching out for neighborhood recommendations eventually.

JLowe, I live in Abington/Glenside area as well.  This is a really good area.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And that's why putting your card out ahead of time is a good business practice. It allows people to say "Shit, I can't miss THIS match this week" and really makes it feel more like a sporting event. I love that. As opposed to "Hey honey, WWE are coming to town, wanna take the kids"

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m getting more and more concerned about this discovery takeover. CNN+ was destined for failure and aew is a proven success, but with the defenders of cnn+ out of the company, they just instantly shut it down. The defenders of aew are gone as well. I’m not worried about it getting cancelled, but I can easily see them not having an interest in a new 9 figure investment in wrasslin, ratings be damned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

I’m getting more and more concerned about this discovery takeover. CNN+ was destined for failure and aew is a proven success, but with the defenders of cnn+ out of the company, they just instantly shut it down. The defenders of aew are gone as well. I’m not worried about it getting cancelled, but I can easily see them not having an interest in a new 9 figure investment in wrasslin, ratings be damned. 

Yeah, they may not want it.  Worry however would only be necessary if there were no other bidders/interest.  Which may be true, but very much doubting it.  Seems like the slowly climbing numbers and overall success would support a fair amount of interest.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not quite the same situation. For one thing, WarnerMedia doesn't own AEW. It's an independently, privately owned company. We don't even know what the ad revenue or payment agreement is between AEW and WarnerMedia. So WarnerMedia isn't spending on AEW what they are on CNN+, which they own.

The problem I see with streaming right now is there are way too many, and their offerings are pathetic for the price you pay. Peacock is absolute trash, and you still are forced to watch with ads.

And yeah, as soon as this broadcast agreement expires, the heads at Discovery whatever could decide to wipe their hands clean of AEW and wrestling. But at the very least, AEW would have a chance at landing on their feet on another network after their proven success on TNT and TBS.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

We don't even know what the ad revenue or payment agreement is between AEW and WarnerMedia.

Yes we do.

AEW is paid $43 million a year to provide 52 Rampages, 52 Dynamites, & 4 Battle of The Belts per year.

Warner Media retain all ad revenue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yes we do.

AEW is paid $43 million a year to provide 52 Rampages, 52 Dynamites, & 4 Battle of The Belts per year.

Warner Media retain all ad revenue.

First I've ever seen that figure.

EDIT:

OK, I do see the deal was reported as being worth a total of $175 million, but that was never a confirmed figure. 

Edited by TheVileOne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will truly be the most unjust of all worlds if Discovery thinks wrestling is too embarrassing to have on, while keeping all the awful pseudoscience bullshit they peddle across their brands.

I'd say it's a coin flip at this point.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

First I've ever seen that figure.

Can't tell if serious...? lol

TK himself announced the renewal when Rampage launched. Warner Media put out press releases. Meltzer reported it. Wrestlenomics talks about it all the time. Which makes me think that was sarcasm. But if not... well now you know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Can't tell if serious...? lol

TK himself announced the renewal when Rampage launched. Warner Media put out press releases. Meltzer reported it. Wrestlenomics talks about it all the time. Which makes me think that was sarcasm. But if not... well now you know.

They didn't confirm the valuation of the deal. That number came from Forbes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

FRDQF2lWYAEBU_d?format=jpg&name=900x900

Would be massive bragging rights if he retains over Punk. Beating Stone Cold and The Rock in the same night levels of milking it for 20 years type of bragging rights.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Would be massive bragging rights if he retains over Punk. Beating Stone Cold and The Rock in the same night levels of milking it for 20 years type of bragging rights.

I've a sneaky feeling CM Punk wins the AEW World Championship from Adam Page and goes into AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door held in Chicago as AEW World Champion. Punk then drops it to MJF in the third match of their trilogy.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Be interesting to see if Kenny Omega makes AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door. Omega in a six man tag/trios match so he can cameo? Omega takes pride in his work so wouldn't half ass it. I'd rather see Kenny not rush back. Come back when he's ready.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...