DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Crim's Red had a birthday the other day too. It's in my top five albums of all time. BUT, the first time I heard Crim was this album, and putting on "21st Century Schizoid Man" flat-out cold after hearing they were an awesome band and buying the album (along with Raw Power by the Stooges, interestingly enough). It utterly flattened me. 

Had no idea Jimi Hendrix heard them and immediately called them the best band in the world. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up three new albums in the last month and thought I'd mention them:

Daughtry - Dearly Beloved - Daughtry's last two albums strayed way too far into pop and electronic for me.  Not bad per se but definitely not the sound I want from him.  This album corrects this.  "Heavy is the Crown", "World on Fire", "Changes Are Coming" and others really set the tone.  This is much heavier and bombastic and I love it.  Favorite track is probably "Lioness" with its slow build.  Fantastic album, one of Daughtry's best.

Eclipse - Wired - Eclipse is my all-time favorite band.  They deliver high-quality Euro hard melodic rock on a super-consistent basis.  This album is no different.  It's not one of their very best but it's really good.  "Bite the Bullet" is the star of the show here.

Houston - IV - Despite the name, Houston is a Swedish band.  Their forte is slick AOR-style melodic rock and IV is more of the same.  There's definitely a retro vibe going on here.  Not an all-time classic or anything but one I can listen to over and over.

Edited by Tabe

I'm an admitted Guns N' Roses mark but I really like their new song "Hard Skool". Definitely sounds a lot like something that would've been on Appetite or Lies. I didn't hate "Absurd" but it sounds more like some experimental b-side or extra song rather than something that would be on an album. "Hard Skool" sounds more like the GnR I love.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:45 PM, twiztor said:

Super Bowl halftime performers announced: Snoop Dogg, Mary J Blige, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar

this is the first halftime show that i am already psyched for. amazing lineup!

7fe45ad69d9be3d992ec881367d9e9cdb098c594

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm an admitted Guns N' Roses mark but I really like their new song "Hard Skool". Definitely sounds a lot like something that would've been on Appetite or Lies. I didn't hate "Absurd" but it sounds more like some experimental b-side or extra song rather than something that would be on an album. "Hard Skool" sounds more like the GnR I love.

i could easily see Hard Skool as one of the standouts on either of the Use Your Illusion albums. i dig it quite a bit as well.

Absurd, on the other hand, i listened to once and hope to never hear again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

i could easily see Hard Skool as one of the standouts on either of the Use Your Illusion albums. i dig it quite a bit as well.

Absurd, on the other hand, i listened to once and hope to never hear again.

Yeah, same here. I listened to it once and don't have any desire to do so again. Like I said, it just sounds like them messing around in the studio and experimenting with a different sound and they decided to put it on an album as a hidden track or something. Doesn't sound like a proper GnR song. I'm hoping anything else they put out sounds more like Hard Skool.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

One wonders how censored the rappers will be in this very live, very public situation. 

Eh, those guys are all pros and have probably performed in hundreds of similar situations where they had to tone things down. Snoop Dogg and Eminem have been musical guests on SNL quite a few times each. Dr. Dre has as well. Don't know about Kendrick Lamar as I've heard 0 songs by him. I can't imagine Mary J. Blige having an issue.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

One wonders how censored the rappers will be in this very live, very public situation. 

as far as lyrically, they haven't done a live Super Bowl Halftime Show in quite a few years. I remember the RHCP playing their set (2014) with their instruments unplugged, because they were forced to record everything earlier in the day, or the day before, or something, to cut down on production issues. unless something has changed, which it very well could have.

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I don't expect "Deep Cover" or anything, but if they will have any leeway at all. There could always be a Janet Jackson Incident haha.

wow, that was back in 2004. it still feels like just a couple years ago. crazy!

So, Led Zepplin 4 turns 50 this year, so here's a cool article about the Bondham Break (from When The Levee Breaks) joining the Amen Break and the Funky Drummer Break as a standard musical sample.

NPR50: The thunder that opens Led Zeppelin's 'When the Levee Breaks' : NPR

Click on the audio player above the article to hear the entire story.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

So, Led Zepplin 4 turns 50 this year, so here's a cool article about the Bondham Break (from When The Levee Breaks) joining the Amen Break and the Funky Drummer Break as a standard musical sample.

NPR50: The thunder that opens Led Zeppelin's 'When the Levee Breaks' : NPR

Click on the audio player above the article to hear the entire story.

Rhymin and Stealin  ...

• Like 1

We used to keep a live music thread, but at this point, it's pointless to create one until the beginning of next year.

Anyways, Glen Hansard is someone I've wanted to see live for years, and he's doing a brief reunion tour for the 15th Anniversary of The Swell Season and Once.

All of the dates are NE and Mid-West, so I'm gonna try and snag a Chicago ticket. I can make that flight pretty reasonable from the beach. 

@Chaosyou're from Dothan? I'm pretty sure two of my friends, a brother and sister duo, up here in central IL are from Dothan. Small world. 

Anyway speaking of live shows I'm going out to see Teenage Bottlerocket at a tiny C&W bar in town next week. Can't call myself a huge pop-punk guy by any means but they seem to be fun and have similar musical interests, despite what they play, so it'll be good to get out. Some of the mutants that I haven't seen in ages might even crawl out their holes haha. This'll be the second show I've seen since March 7th of last year in a PACKED Reggies. I wonder how many of us came down with Covid and who didn't...

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah the sis moved to be with my best friend and the brother joined her to just GTF out of Dothan I think, haha. He could be in New York since he works from home but that would mean, well, rent.

Yeah. I'm in a weird place with job where I make just enough that it's worth staying, and I'm not sure what I could do outside of here.

If I moved, I doubt it'd be that far north (Although Montana seems nice at times). I've thought about moving elsewhere in- state (Birmingham, Auburn, Huntsville), to some parts of Tennessee, North Carolina, Atlanta, or even something like Denver. It's one of those situations where I can't see the forest from the trees or however the phrase goes. 

Raleigh seems to be a nice place, I got a good buddy out there who works at a record store and if HE can tolerate that spot then anyone can. Also friends in Virginia so possibly the same thing. And I can definitely vouch for Denver, real real close friend of mine moved out there years ago and he's stayed on working construction (skinniest construction worker you'd ever see I guarantee). What I'd worry about is getting mired down and stuck in a go-nowhere "nice town" where time stands still. I've been there before. It's not fun.

• Like 1