DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/25/2020

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So this Miro stuff...  

I'm just....

Is this better than what he had lined up in WWE?  

The video game stuff and being best friends with a jobber is pretty lame but  I’m not sure anything can be worse than being portrayed as a cuckold in a storyline with your actual real life wife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kenny's character is that he is a nerd. He's a soft-spoken, curly-haired, video-game-loving, anime-obsessed Japanophile. He just happens to be a nerd with a perfect physique, high-level athleticism, and next-level pro wrestling skills. I love that character. It's a great idea for the nerd-culture-ascendant world that we now live in. I am always baffled when people point out individual examples of Kenny acting like a nerd as if it's a bad thing. That is his deal. That is what he does.

I am, admittedly, a total mark for AEW. I have been waiting for something like this for a good long while. I love love love that they are constantly trying to stretch out the boundaries of what can work w/r/t pro wrestling characters and stories. They don't always succeed but I very much would like them to keep trying.

They are, first and foremost, the company where people can have fun at work, with their friends. They are also the company that gets their hardcore fans and does their best to make them happy. 

The last thing I want them to be is a company where things are done by the book.

A proficient wrestling nerd is a relatively novel kind of character. Obviously, the reason it suits Kenny Omega is that he is, in real life, a nerd who is very well-built,  athletic, and good at pro wrestling.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Kenny's character is blahdyblahdy blah blah blah

? I thought I had figured out he difference between the quote button and the edit button. I guess not.

Anyway: w/r/t Miro, obviously his super-strong video game nerd character hasn't clicked yet... but I'm confident he'll get where he needs to be eventually. And I have to imagine he's happier in AEW, and having more fun. 

I guess my deal is I like to see wrestlers happy and having fun. Maybe that comes from my days as a hardcore Osaka Pro fan?

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Kenny's character is that he is a nerd. He's a soft-spoken, curly-haired, video-game-loving, anime-obsessed Japanophile. He just happens to be a nerd with a perfect physique, high-level athleticism, and next-level pro wrestling skills. I love that character. It's a great idea for the nerd-culture-ascendant world that we now live in.

This is what I said earlier in the year, his character is that he's a weeb.

ABADON IS BACK, AND SHE WANTS THE BELT. I was soooooooo happy when I heard her music hit, the crawling bit and Shida's reaction was priceless.

Lance Archer face turn? No thanks. Is this having do with the whole Covid/Archer/Six-Man/Hobbs turn I mentioned earlier?

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

Lots of time to discuss next week but I really hope the play isn’t the rumored/discussed KENTA interference leading to an Omega win. There just isn’t enough juice in KENTA as a guy on Mox’s level on this or any other continent for that to be how Mox’s reign ends.

IMO the only way you run the attacker interference title change angle is if you signed Brock or Batista or some shit. KENTA ain’t it.

Edited by For Great Justice

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Lots of time to discuss next week but I really hope the play isn’t the rumored/discussed KENTA interference leading to an Omega win. There just isn’t enough juice in KENTA as a guy on Mox’s level on this or any other continent for that to be how Mox’s reign ends.

IMO the only way you run the attacker interference title change angle is if you signed Brock or Batista or some shit. KENTA ain’t it.

What if it's...

,,, Ibushi????

I am Gordi's Shadow

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I guess it fitting his character is all fine and well, but coming up with the weakest diss for your opponent isn't very pro wrestling. 

I think Archer is gonna be more a force of nature thing, where he's this Tazmanian devil (heh) that will just go through anyone in his way. 

I think that a nerd that can beat all the glowering tough guys in the ring is extremely pro wrestling. In my mind it goes back to the days of Gorgeous George Wagner. Wagner's deal wasn't just that he was openly effeminate (which, it goes without saying, is a thing that upset and threatened a lot of men at that time) but that he was an effeminate man who nonetheless won matches against the glowering tough guys and clean-cut athletes that he faced in the ring. I think Kenny's indomitable geek character hearkens back to that. 

I am really looking forward to seeing Archer reach his potential in AEW. His New Japan Cup 2019 Second Round match vs Will Ospreay remains one of the very best and most exciting matches I have ever seen live and in person. So far in AEW I have enjoyed him beating up jobbers backstage and tossing around Marko Stunt in the ring. I absolutely agree with you that he'd be great in a force-of-nature type of role. 

24 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

? I thought I had figured out he difference between the quote button and the edit button. I guess not.

Anyway: w/r/t Miro, obviously his well-deserved video game nerd character hasn't clicked yet... but I'm confident he'll get where he needs to be eventually. And I have to imagine he's happier in AEW, and having more fun. 

I guess my deal is I like to see wrestlers happy and having fun. Maybe that comes from my days as a hardcore Osaka Pro fan?

I think the whole video game shtick is Miro's choice. It doesn't work as a heel thing, especially with somebody as loveable as Miro, though. They really need to pull the trigger on the wedding so he can fuck Kip up and just be a brutish nerd face like he should've been from the start if that's the slant he wants his character to have. 

And thank you for explaining the Omega character. I am out of energy defending him.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, The Natural said:
There's only one King...

10 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

At the risk of angering Minoru, there is one true King...

I'm sorry, gentlemen, but it is my understanding that...

"Wrestling... has more than one... royal family"

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Haha 9

I generally tend to turn off my most critical tendencies for AEW and just enjoy what it is, for however long it ends up lasting, but ... stop with the entrance music playing during run-ins. We all make fun of WWE for doing it, and it's not like there are a lot of fans there to pop, which is the only reason to do it.

• Like 2

So, I forgot it was Wednesday so I missed the first hour. I liked the 2nd hour - that was good TV. I liked Shida tonight, and Abadon is just awesome in presence. Moxley and Kingston really are the two best going on the mic today. Very happy to see Bunkhouse Butch & The Blade with the victory - was well deserved. I hope they get more wins as I think they're a valuable team. I'd like to see The Bunny be more animated ringside. 

If Archer aligns with the Triangulo del Muerto - do we call them The Quadrilateral of Decay?