Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

BTW - latest reports are that MLB is now considering bubble cities for the playoffs

  • 3 cities for the Wild Card round 
  • 2 for the LDS
  • 1 or 2 for the LCS and 1 for the World Series

Absolutely no rumors over what the cities would be

And, again, this was floated before the season started and folks on both sides bitched about it but that was before there were two major outbreaks during the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I keep thinking about it and I can't see a single scenario where all the other teams don't pitch a huge fucking fit if the Cards have any more than 2-3 less games than everyone else

Shouldn't that be covered by the half-game back rule in standings, so like "Team A has more wins than Team B, but played 2 less games so far, so Team B gets one game higher in the standings than they should be?"

That'd seem to cover it for the Cardinals, so like "oh, you played 15 less games than the rest of the teams, so we're tacking 7.5 games onto the standings to accommodate it" would make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more games a team in that scenario doesn’t play, the more that issue cascades to its scheduled opponents’ records as well. For an extreme example, if we pretend that the Cardinals were wiped out for the year at five games played overall, that’s ten games out of 60 that the Cubs/Reds/Brewers don’t play and seven games that the Pirates don’t play.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

The more games a team in that scenario doesn’t play, the more that issue cascades to its scheduled opponents’ records as well. For an extreme example, if we pretend that the Cardinals were wiped out for the year at five games played overall, that’s ten games out of 60 that the Cubs/Reds/Brewers don’t play and seven games that the Pirates don’t play.

But that issue would still be covered in this theory:

If the Cardinals are wiped out for the season at 5 games played overall, that's 55 games they don't play (so they'd be 27.5 games back.) 

The Pirates lose seven games, they're 3.5 games back of their record, with the Cubs/Reds/Brewers 5 games back of their record (and likewise for teams intended to play the Cardinals.) 

For NL Central purposes, however: since all five teams are missing out of games, it becomes "if every team missed these games, then no one missed any games". Since every NL Central team missed at least seven games, the Pirates are treated as if they missed no games. The Cubs/Reds/Brewers are only ticked for 1.5 games since they only missed three games less than their opponents, and the Cardinals are treated as if they only missed 48 games and only get ticked for 24 games back.

Complicated? Yes, but that happens in a season this completely and utterly messed up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cintron has just been given a 20 game suspension for this.  

Harsh, but I get the feeling he got off very lucky.  (For what it's worth Lauerano got 5... which is about 4 too many.)

Lauerano getting suspended that long is bullshit, dude got hit 3 times and shrugged them off until the coward on the bench got involved. It was such phony baseball tough guy bullshit. That's like getting a 50 game suspension in a regular season.

I don't even hate the Astros (for whatever it is worth, theirs is actually the only non-MiLB hat I own, depending if you count the Expos anymore), but I think they realize that they can probably goad teams into situations like this because of the warning Manfred gave about retribution. I agree, Lauerano should have gotten a game only.

 

E: My math is hella off there

Edited by elizium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, elizium said:

Lauerano getting suspended that long is bullshit, dude got hit 3 times and shrugged them off until the coward on the bench got involved. It was such phony baseball tough guy bullshit. That's like getting a 50 game suspension in a regular season.

I don't even hate the Astros (for whatever it is worth, theirs is actually the only non-MiLB hat I own, depending if you count the Expos anymore), but I think they realize that they can probably goad teams into situations like this because of the warning Manfred gave about retribution. I agree, Lauerano should have gotten a game only.

He got 6 games, 1/10th of the season, so it's equivalent to 16 games and not 50.  MLB has said they will come down hard on fighting this year, thus you get this.

And he didn't "shrug off" the 3rd HBP.  He was pantomiming at the pitcher and saying stuff.

Cintron started the fight but Laureano was hardly an innocent here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He got 6 games, 1/10th of the season, so it's equivalent to 16 games and not 50.  MLB has said they will come down hard on fighting this year, thus you get this.

And he didn't "shrug off" the 3rd HBP.  He was pantomiming at the pitcher and saying stuff.

Cintron started the fight but Laureano was hardly an innocent here.

Wow you're right what the fuck did I do to my math there?

He was telling the dude how to properly throw a slider, he was being helpful. And considering that was his third time getting hit in 2 days I feel he was showing a lot of restraint. Yeah, he was talking, but he didn't stop, didn't head towards the mound, he took his base.

Edited by elizium
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Wow you're right what the fuck did I do to my math there?

He was telling the dude how to properly throw a slider, he was being helpful. And considering that was his third time getting hit in 2 days I feel he was showing a lot of restraint. Yeah, he was talking, but he didn't stop, didn't head towards the mound, he took his base.

Clearly, you didn't have me as your math teacher in high school.  Then again, maybe you did.  Ugggggggh.  Maybe you were thinking of Cintron's suspension, which is the equivalent of 54 games.

I'm not saying my dude didn't have a right to be ticked.  Just saying he didn't just trot down to first while Cintron was yelling about his mom.

Edited by Tabe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Complicated? Yes, but that happens in a season this completely and utterly messed up.

Problem is that MLB has provided no clarity in to how the situation would resolve itself and there is a big difference between Winning Percentage and Games Back and MLB has done nothing but say "winning percentage"

So taken at face value provides utter chaos

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As of right now - the Cardinals are scheduled to resume play on Saturday

They are scheduled to play DH on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.

Of course - you have the new staff member who tested positive and a RP who had to go on the COVID list because they were exposed to someone.

Good times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...