DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I've heard it's either Bass and/or Green. I'm all right with Bass and Lee going. I like them both fine, but they aren't that important to the team right now whereas I think Green, Sullinger, Crawford, and Rondo is that core that can get Boston into a solid Eastern Conference Team. Maybe not one that is a contender, but a respectable one like the Bulls last year.

Throwing a draft pick in there seems kinda foolish and anti-rebuilding to me though.

Edit:

Bill Simmons seems negative on them trading Green (or Sullinger or Bradley) which is great. He's normally iffy on his thoughts, but he's been pretty good about calling what Celtics are going to do...even if he looked heartbroken when they announced that Garnett-PP trade.

I think Detroit needs to move Josh Smith. I hated the Josh Smith signing as soon as it happened and I still think it's awful. Josh Smith is being paid $13.5M for (rounding up) 15, 7, and 4 on 40% shooting and about 26% from the line. Has he been great defensively at least?

Also I had no idea that Villanueva was still on the Pistons. Holy shit that is amazing and he's their 2nd highest paid player. I can't believe he never panned out, I'm a biased UConn fan but I thought he'd at least be an all-star.

Smith's deal is damn near unmovable.  Drummond is turning into a superstar.  The three of them together get absolutely lit up on defense.  Monroe is going to want a max or near max deal, and Detroit probably doesn't want to give it to give it to him.  So, he's the odd man out.  Move Monroe for a wing, put Smith at power forward, and they might be the third best team in the East by the time the season ends.

And...  Oh Charlie V...  Christ you suck.

(Also, Smith has been playing really well this week.  I can dream it may last.)

Wade's been on a roll lately, he's been stringing together some very good games.

The gap between the Heat/Pacers and whoever is the 3rd best in the East is the most absurd gap I've ever seen in sports. At least back in the early 2000's when the East was a JV conference all the top teams were close in skill.

Oh, yeah, the East is just a fucking joke this year outside them.  It's so bad that tanking is hard, because, you know, somebody has to win the games.

I believe that win just put Detroit in the 4th seed spot as of right now. 

Detroit ain't half bad.  The pieces don't all fit, but there is talent, youth, and trade assets on the team.  If you're not a legit title contender, this isn't a terrible fate for your future.  Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith are not my favorite NBA players in the world, but you won't bottom out with them on your team...for better or worse.

Detroit wasn't in a position to bottom out this year.  Too many bad years in a row, GM whose job is on the line, ownership that desperately wants some playoff revenue.

Drummond is an absolute beast though, and the building block they need.

I feel bad the 3-8 seeds in the East because they're all in no man's land. They're not anywhere near good enough to upset Indy or Miami in a 7 game series barring something catastrophic happening and they're not anywhere near bad enough to get in the lottery to become good enough because the dregs of the East are somehow significantly worse than they are. These teams wont get better overnight either so these teams might be stuck in this position for a while. If only the Knicks and Nets played to expectations.

Detroit has a really bright future, I love the hell out of Drummond (obviously) and God damn is he an animal. If he keeps progressing into a modern day Moses or whatever he turns into and they can put pieces around him the Pistons will be something great soon. Josh Smith, however, is an albatross around their neck.