DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

It is a cap hold for a free agent.  Teams basically carry those until they renounce the hold and they don't do that until they actually sign a player using space under the salary cap.

They can also use them in trades. Lakers carried Aaron McKie's cap hold after he retired and he was included in the Pau Gasol deal. I believe he made a cool million just to un-retire, traveled to Memphis to complete the deal, and then went back to his assistant coaching role. I think he was an assistant coach with Philly.

So expect Mitch Richmond on one of your team's at some point in the next 3 years guys! :)

It is a cap hold for a free agent.  Teams basically carry those until they renounce the hold and they don't do that until they actually sign a player using space under the salary cap.

They can also use them in trades. Lakers carried Aaron McKie's cap hold after he retired and he was included in the Pau Gasol deal. I believe he made a cool million just to un-retire, traveled to Memphis to complete the deal, and then went back to his assistant coaching role. I think he was an assistant coach with Philly.

So expect Mitch Richmond on one of your team's at some point in the next 3 years guys! :)

They closed that loophole in the new CBA.  A player has to finish the previous season on the team's roster to do a sign-and-trade.

They closed that loophole in the new CBA.  A player has to finish the previous season on the team's roster to do a sign-and-trade.

You have ruined my Thanksgiving! I was looking forward to dealing Mike Smrek to the OKC Thunder!

It'd be interesting if they wound up on the Clippers after all of this.

After the rivers fiasco, I think the clips can't trade for kg for a year or some such.  . .

I thought it was just with the Celtics for a year, which actually makes less sense because who on the Celtics (aside from a healthy Rondo) would they actually want right now?

Pierce has some use for another team if they came calling for him, but what are you getting for Garnett?  He's looked really, really bad this year, and with his salary I am not sure what you could get for him at this point.

After the rivers fiasco, I think the clips can't trade for kg for a year or some such.  . .

I thought it was just with the Celtics for a year, which actually makes less sense because who on the Celtics (aside from a healthy Rondo) would they actually want right now?

Pierce has some use for another team if they came calling for him, but what are you getting for Garnett?  He's looked really, really bad this year, and with his salary I am not sure what you could get for him at this point.

The Clippers can't trade with the Celtics until after the 2013-2014 season.  The Celtics had Garnett and Pierce on their roster when that condition was made. 

Pierce/Garnett to Chicago for Deng/Boozer would be an interesting starting point for a negotiation.

The Clippers can't trade with the Celtics until after the 2013-2014 season.  The Celtics had Garnett and Pierce on their roster when that condition was made. 

Pierce/Garnett to Chicago for Deng/Boozer would be an interesting starting point for a negotiation.

I stand corrected,  I would think the Bulls would want more than the nets could pay, but it would make for and interesting core. . .  

If the Bulls aren't going to re-sign Deng and KG retires after this season, it effectively gets rid the Bulls of the last year of Boozer's contract while giving them a scorer while Rose is out who can function as a point forward.  The Bulls would also shave a couple of million off the payroll.  So, a deal might put them in a slightly better place for the long run.  It'd be bad if they are penciling in Boozer and Deng as still being around in 2015-2016 on reduced salaries. 

Plus, you have the story of Pierce and Garnett being reunited with Thibs and Garnett being on the same team with Noah, who used to idolize him and now says he hates him.

Garnett would have to waive his no-trade clause for it.

That Gary Payton video is hilarious!  It sounds like he said "Mike Brown stuck him in that Prison offense", which might explain Kyrie Irving's season. :)

Lakers beat the Pistons. The East is a mess. Sucks.

Remember when we all were like, "Wesley Johnson, c'mon..." and now he's falling into that list of players who's careers seem to turnaround after joining the Lakers. He might actually get a big payday next summer. Lakers with a bunch of role players are 9-8 and have lost about 3-4 games that were pretty close. 

Really love the Lakers bench this year. Also Nick Young getting the charge on Josh Smith to end the game. LOL!