DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, JR was atrocious all night. Why are you doing something that brings you so much displeasure, you miserable human being? Purely for the money. I thought there was a point about a month or two months ago that he had found some actual engagement with AEW and had eased up on Excalibur. I would pay $50 to see Super Dragon's reactions to JR consistently busting Excalibur's balls. Excalibur stands up for himself but he's in an awkward position of not wanting to talk back to a legend when he's in the kohai spot, but I can just picture Super Dragon punching a hole in his TV listening to that shit.

Edited by Oyaji

Also, stop giving a shit that Cody, a grown adult who can make his own decisions, decided to get a tattoo on the side of his neck or that it was his logo. I've seen far shittier tattoos and dumber tattoos lacking any personal meaning. At least this means something to him, the artwork looks good, it's not like it's on his face, and his job is a pro wrestler and pro wrestler promoter. The tattoo is fine.

• Like 4

Tonight was another night why I don't think it's crazy to call Kenny Omega one of the best in the world.  If you think about the two tag titles matches and the Iron Man Match with Pac over the span of like ten days... I mean damn..   the year he's putting together.  

But Page has been fucking awesome for a good six months too..   I love this team. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I thought JR was fine and was having a great time. Y'all are way too hard on him.

He was actively criticizing shit as if it was his podcast. The commentary broke down so bad during the tag title match that it was a good thing it went on so fucking long to give them recovery time.  

1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

He was actively criticizing shit as if it was his podcast. The commentary broke down so bad during the tag title match that it was a good thing it went on so fucking long to give them recovery time.  

You're extremely sensitive. There wasn't anything wrong with the commentary during the tag match.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

Whoever said the title is going from Jericho to Ambrose to Kenny to Page should be 100% spot on. Unless something crazy happens, injuries, or somebody else becomes super duper over in no time, that should be the next two years of AEW Champions. Page failing, getting envious of his squad's accolades, resorting to casual alcoholism, proving his worth by forging his own path, and beating the Best Tag Team In The World at their own game was just perfect. 

Another thing I loved about that match was Matt refusing to go down to a tag team move and forcing them to hit their solo shit to put him away. Like a last ditch spit in the face back at Page and Omega. That despite how great of a team they are, they'll always be two individuals teaming instead of a proper tag team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're extremely sensitive.

Dude, you're defending the Cody tattoo. It's terrible and I actually find myself not digging him as much because of it. Brock's phallic symbol is the only thing I could think of in terms of worst wrestling tattoos that aren't nazi/fascist iconography. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I gotta give it to Cody for having the worst tattoo in wrestling history. That's quite a mountain to climb. 

Dude, it's not even close to worst. The tattoo is fine. Wrestling is full of really bad tattoos. You're telling me this is worse than the Harris Brothers having fucking Nazi tattoos? Get the fuck outta here.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Dude, you're defending the Cody tattoo. It's terrible and I actually find myself not digging him as much because of it. Brock's knife phallyic symbol is the only thing I could think of in terms of worst wrestling tattoos that aren't nazi/fascist iconography. 

How is me saying he's being overly sensitive to the JR commentary at all relevant to me saying the Cody tattoo is fine.

Also, again, THERE'S A MILLION SHITTIER TATTOOS. Tyson Tomko was covered in shitty zig zag tattoos. Scott Steiner is covered in atrocious art work. Randy Orton had to cover up his shitty tattoos with a bunch of skulls. Also, Randy Orton has two full sleeves of SKULLS. Huge fucking skulls. Batista has a tramp stamp and a weird belly button tattoo. Corey Graves actually tattooed STAY DOWN on his knuckles.

But yeah, Cody's tattoo is the worst or whatever hyperbolic shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LEAVE BATISTA'S SUN TATTOO (THAT HE RUINED) OUT OF THIS!

Those bad tattoos at least fit those goobers. Cody's is so distracting and out of place for a super white meat babyface. Somebody jokingly made a gofundme page to raise money to get it removed, lol. It's since been taken down but the outrage is real and I fully understand and appreciate it.

Oh and fuck a neck tattoo, at least those that are huge like that and cover a significant part of the neck. Gimme SKULLZ 4 DAYZ over that shit straight up.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

Undertaker tattooed the name of his then wife in the front of his neck. SARA. Right there. Emblazoned across his Adams apple. How did that fit his character? And then he had to cover it up.

The notion that a babyface can't have a tattoo is weird. That's like some weird, backwards thinking for 2020. And again, I'm not saying it's great. It's a little large and he should have gone a size down, but the artwork is sharp and i don't see the problem with it.

EDIT: This reminds me of the shit people on here gave AJ Styles for tattooing the date of births of his kids with some thinking they were the dates of his title wins. AJ does have that HUGE AJ tattoo though, but at least it's his actual initials.

Edited by Craig H

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Undertaker tattooed the name of his then wife in the front of his neck. SARA. Right there. Emblazoned across his Adams apple. How did that fit his character? And then he had to cover it up.

Dude, forget that. This asshole was suppose to be dead and then he started showing up with ink going up his fucking forearms.

bxc29nivv3sz.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think what’s tough with neck tattoos (on the side, specially) is that a person will naturally hutch forward and the image will become inadvertently diagonal and/or stretched in an oblong manner. Especially how his seems to have various points.

Not a fan aesthetically. If they can make it fit the character with a cute Road to Neck Tattoo video or if I just get use to it, then cool. I saw a tweet saying something along the lines of how he’s sticking his neck out for AEW and his family name. Cool. At the moment I’m no digging it. Even so, whatever. It’s a jarring change but I’m moreso shrugging than actually caring.

I look at it like Evil Uno’s previous outfit. Wasn’t good , wasn’t mad, but wasn’t good. They switched it up and made it work. Difference is that it’s easy to change an outfit. A tattoo is a tattoo. 

• Like 1

Didn't just say babyface. He's a whitemeat, clean cut babyface. That tattoo is trash as fuck and fits somebody from Team Alpha Male, not what he's portraying. 

edit: this got me looking up how effective tattoo removals are, haha. Good shit.

But in the end, it's just a dumb tattoo. That tag match was perfection. Great tag wrestling > great singles wrestling imo.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I got my money's worth, happy with the decision to buy. Over all the show was closer to a thumbs in the middle for me tho. Not because anything was overtly bad, but just some pacing issues because of the order they chose to go with.

Buy In tag was good pre show stuff. Timing was rushed on the end segment. And it was weird Cabana had to wait for his full into on his theme before hit hit the ring lol, but well done segment that got a big response in Chicago. Not 100% sure who the higher power ends up being, and that's a good thing. 2020 wrestling is lacking in real surprises.

Hager & Dustin was a slower big man brawl. Solid work. Just not an ideal opener. Heel over in the opener was another factor to a weird crowd for the whole night. Idk if sexual assault is a good babyface highspot in 2020 anymore tho. Yikes, lol.

Darby & Sammy was right up my alley. The 630 through a table was fucking crazy. Dope from start to finish.

Tag titles was killer shit. Page is over brother. Great storytelling. And even better post match foreshadowing. The Buckshot Lariat being lined up and teased, but not being hammered by the announcers was so refreshing. WWE style commentary would have all three dudes in the booth screaming over each other about it and showing replays 100 times.

The women's match was rough. Statlander was sick, so giving her some slack. But man, Nyla is going to hurt someone. The superplex you could hear Statlander telling her to wait til she had both feet on top before they go, but Nyla jumped the gun anyways with only one foot on the top and they are lucky no one got hurt. Scary. Even worse was the second rope powerbomb where Nyla was trying to switch her feet inside after already having her up. She ended up doing a one foot in one foot out jump and they are so damn lucky Stantlander lander okay. I think they may have aimed too high for what they can pull off cleanly, factoring in the flu.

Cody. Brother. You're the guy I enjoy watching most right now. I dig everything since you left WWE. But that neck tattoo is... bad. I'm not against neck tattoos in general. But that one is so big and so colorful and placed so prominently when he has hardly no other ink. It's just one of the worst tattoos I've ever seen. Damn dude. Maybe in time it just becomes normal. But def very jarring on first sight. Liked the finish, and most of the story elements they threw in. Bad live music performance aside, another  thumbs up from me here.

Pac vs OC was perfect. The right guy won. And won convincingly. But OC got to show he's legit. 3000% perfect from everyone involved. I'm sure the Cornette hate will still flow, but even JR seemed genuinely impressed by the dude.

Main was hampered by that post malfunction. Jesus christ. Mox couldn't judge the post with that stupid eye patch and legit split his head deep AF. 99% sure he had a concussion. Shit was gnarly. They get a pass from me for the clunky match. It's hard to do much else but brawling when you're that loopy. Mostly okay with very little crowd heat. Right guy got the win, but a better match would have made the moment seem like a bigger deal.

Wargames will be interesting. Do we do Team Cody vs Team MJF? The Inner Circle vs The Elite? Dark Order vs The Elite? Surprised they went all in with two rings and a top on the cage. The first REAL Wargames in a long time. LOVE naming the episode Blood & Guts too.

• Like 4

Cody is a clean cut babyface? How do cursing, saying you're going to scar someone, smoking cigars, and sipping scotch fit into that?

Anyway, my wife nearly tapped out when Darby botched that dive. A convinced her to stick around, then she saw Sammy's 630 through the table, and she was like, "i can't believe i stayed to watch someone die." I laughed. She has zero stomach for wrestling. It's funny.

• Like 1

I think the match is named Blood and Guts.

As for who is in it, God, i hope it isn't with the Dark Order. I'm hoping that if Jericho is actually taking a break to tour then it's Inner Circle with MJF vs Darby, Dustin, Moxley, and Cody. They can use the match to write off Jericho.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think there's a chance it's Dork Odor regardless of who the Exalted One is. Cody/MJF needs to be in it. Your teammates make a lot of sense too. Can't wait. Not much in wrestling beats a great War Games/Match Beyond/Blood and Guts (that name works for me! Thanks, Vince!) match.

It's named 'Blood & Guts' because Vince said you'd never see blood and guts on his programming. Also,  Cody referred to it as The Match Beyond before but with all the trademark stuff going on who knows. 

The important thing is we are finally getting the War Games match and it's going to be on free TV.   I love that they do these little Clash of the Champions type episodes in between the PPV schedule.  It's perfect. 

Last note,  I didn't love Cody's tattoo but I don't understand hating on it.. like why do we care if someone has a tattoo and it sucks? Why is it something that should be discussed? 

• Like 4

My only complaint is a dumb one, but announcing the match before the angle to have it is putting the cart before the horse. It's the same complaint i have with the NXT ones in that the match is announced and then they get the people to be in it. I'd rather see a huge melee break out that leads to someone saying let's do this in a cage over 2 rings.

• Like 4