DVDVR Message Board

AEW Revolution - 2/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

To be fair some people would kick out of 2 Cold Scorpio’s 450 splashes in big matches. And he popularized that move.

Edit: Also, Limp Bizkit playing Undertaker down to Rollin live is the best of the live band entrances.

...No wait scratch that. James Brown - Living In America during Apollo’s entrance in Rocky IV is the best.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

I think the only actual finisher kickuut in that match was the V-Shot. At least, kicking out of that person/team's actual finisher. Bucks used a couple of finishers from other teams, but there wasn't a Meltzer Driver kickout.

15 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I don't want to potentially rag on music people are nostalgic about from a time when they didn't know any better, but a hard NO on Fred Durst.

At no point outside WWE have I ever liked Limp Bizkit, but Rollin with Taker, My Way for Rock/Austin at X7, and Crack Addict for Rock/Austin at XIX all worked incredibly well.

• Like 5

How can anyone say Limp Bizkit are the best at something Motorhead have also done? 

Beside which, Salt n Pepa, Mania 11.

• Like 6

Misc thoughts from the show:

Nice looking stage and I really liked those bracelets the fans had. Pretty unique visual how they matched the colours of the entrances and video packages.

Hager-Dustin was ok, would have been better  being 5Min shorter with more intensity. I think Darby-Sammy should have opened the show instead of this.

I love how Darby gets mini short films before his entrance depending on his opponents. That lionsault onto the board was impressive.

HOLY SHIT at the 630 to the table, absolutely amazing spot.

Damn this match was good, Sammy really amped up the intensity and assholeness for this, but both were just killing it out there. This felt like two young guys going to war and just trying to steal the show, loved every second of it. Future stars right here.

The tag match was just beautiful. The Bucks being the assholes (with Matt being the worst) but both them and Kenny sometimes questioning what they were doing, just great stuff.

Page doing Kenny's finisher for him is one of the most wholesome moments I've seen in the middle of a crazy match. Also loved him being possessed by Marty for a moment.

OC's Titantron and half assed pyro is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Awesome match with Pac with a molten crowd as expected. When Orange picks up his first singles win the arena is going to explode.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

How can anyone say Limp Bizkit are the best at something Motorhead have also done? 

Beside which, Salt n Pepa, Mania 11.

I’ll give you SnP,  but Motorhead live sucked that day. It also didn’t help that Triple H was trying desperately to get them over with his annoying bowing poses.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

You really can't say Moterhead since Lemmy couldn't remember the words to the fucking song.  Knowing Lemmy though, he was probably on his 4th bottle of Jack by the time he went on stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Even if Lemmy wasn’t drunk he still wouldn’t know the lyrics. Shit I don’t even think they wrote the lyrics down before they originally recorded drunk. “Run little bitch from a smoking gun”, is that how it goes?

I was rewatching Darby Vs. Sammy. That finishing sequence with Allin monkey flipping Guevara into the corner followed by the stunner, and finally the Coffin Drop, was absolutely perfect. Sammy selling the throat for a split second was nice little subtle storytelling. Really a well told story in a short span. I’m sure if both were allowed to go longer, they would’ve shot for an epic. Who knows really? This might be match one in a series.

I honestly wouldn’t mind this going  for several weeks. I remember people getting upset that Hangman Vs. PAC went against one another too much, but the live crowds loved it after a while. I think the fans would respond to it the same way, if not  much more welcoming from the start since there will be less of an issue if these two spun their wheels for a bit before they moved on to newer adventures.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I watched Sammy vs Darby again with my daughter and it's still awesome to see how over the Coffin Drop is. I don't think it's a great finisher or anything, but man do people love it.

• Like 1

Regarding the forced kiss spot, I think this is an area where all the learned folks backstage with decades steeped in the core ingredients of what draws heat and money took a can’t-miss spot from the past and didn’t apply a modern lens to it. Yes, there are some universals in wrestling but then there are other elements that are very ‘of their time’.

Either that or Tony was reverting to his predilection for the ECW edge a la the much discussed face-in-arse spot from the other thread.

Either way, it was so tonally off compared to their presentation of gender it was jarring. Why was the wife suddenly shoehorned into the angle anyway? Why did they book the finish to get heat for a low blow when Dustin just gave a blatant one himself half a minute before? I was scratching my head at a lot of that match.

Edit to add: I don’t want to be a downer, the show as a whole was sublime and I cannot wait to get off work today so I can go home and watch it again, particularly to soak in the tag, OC/PAC and Allin/Guevara.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

What the fuck is wrong with smoking cigars and sipping scotch?

My favorite joint in Seattle had a very simple sign: "Cigars, Scotch, Steak!" What else ya need?

John, I am the cheapest alkie in the world, but you reminded me I could use a glass of Chivas Regal right now. I know that isn't a great thing to appreciate, but it's something.

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

That's probably fair but some of us remember a time when a 450 splash was a finish.

There was a time when a headlock was a finish.  I agree some moves probably should be a finish but that's every promotion now.  This tag match last night had more selling and psychology (and backstory) than most of what you'd see from the indy scene/PWG over the past decade and certainly more than recent NXT 'main event style'. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Custos said:

Edit to add: I don’t want to be a downer, the show as a whole was sublime and I cannot wait to get off work today so I can go home and watch it again, particularly to soak in the tag, OC/PAC and Allin/Guevara.

Nah, man, you got that right. This was a 3 match show. Great matches regardless, but overall I think the show could’ve been way better given the hype of two of the matches on this card. The other two after that could have gone either way in my book for predictions. But the ones you mentioned delivered as I expected.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I loved the tag title match even though I'm not a big fan of the wrestlers.

I think that it was too soon to take the belt from Jericho, but that is probably because I grew up in the 70's and think that a real champion should keep the belt for a long time. 

Cody's tattoo is so bad that I thought it was paint.

Meltzer made a good point on dethroning Jericho now. He's got a European tour with Fozzy set in the summer. If you wait until Double or Nothing it's way too obvious that he's losing on his way out. I think if you polled AEW fans who would win the main event it would probably be around a 60/40 split at worse in terms of keeping it a guessing game. There was real drama in the final stretch that I don't think would be there if they waited until DoN. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1