DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 12/11/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Custos said:

I'm no expert in US socioeconomics, but isn't Florida considered more of a dump than Texas? Surely MJF's argument of not disclosing the stipulations in front of 'swine' lost his steam when he said he would announce in Jacksonville instead. 

The biggest dump is always the town you're in. Pro Wrestling Socioeconomics 101.

And yeah, these Britt Baker posts are beyond weird at this point. But at least he knows better than to strongly imply Britt exchanged sexual favours for training after the push-back he got last year. Now, it's just softened into questions about how many kids you know who can afford wrestling training and dental school. Subtle. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Aside from Gorman and a few others, anyone claiming to know wrestlers or have info on them or whatever just makes me think of rovert. Don't be that dude.

What if I told you I grew up in and around the same neighborhoods as Axl Rotten and that dude was good as fuck at Konami's The Main Event arcade game?  RIP

• Like 6

Just now, Technico Support said:

What if I told you I grew up in and around the same neighborhoods as Axl Rotten and that dude was good as fuck at Konami's The Main Event arcade game?  RIP

I'll allow it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't even like her. I'm just tired of your "I've got insider info, Britt's the worst" shit. Like fuck man, we get it. Move on. 

I will when AEW does.   I'm a fan of their product just like I am of NJPW, AIW, PWG, etc.  The biggest pimple on the show is her. Others see it and say it too yet they book her in a top role over and over.  I liken it to the NY Ranger hockey team.  Henrik Lundquivst has played awful. His backup Georgiev had 2 shutouts in 10 days and has been incredible.  Henrik has been still getting the starts while Georgiev rides the bench.    There are more talented women on the AEW bench that aren't getting the chance to shine. Meanwhile we see Bayley Bella each week in some form or other.  

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Aside from Gorman and a few others, anyone claiming to know wrestlers or have info on them or whatever just makes me think of rovert. Don't be that dude.

I actually know Gorman,  Gorman can reach out to Sam Adonis or anyone at IWC and vouch for me. Gorman was still doing commentary when I started attending the shows. He worked with Kingdom James  AKA  Uncle Kingdom.   Hate to name drop but I know others on here who can vouch as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The biggest dump is always the town you're in. Pro Wrestling Socioeconomics 101.

And yeah, these Britt Baker posts are beyond weird at this point. But at least he knows better than to strongly imply Britt exchanged sexual favours for training after the push-back he got last year. Now, it's just softened into questions about how many kids you know who can afford wrestling training and dental school. Subtle. 

same thing as I said to the other guy, name 3 matches she was in that she made better.  Matches that she made memorable for a positive reason (not including tagging the wrong Japanese girl) 

42 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

same thing as I said to the other guy, name 3 matches she was in that she made better.  Matches that she made memorable for a positive reason (not including tagging the wrong Japanese girl) 

This is a pointless line of inquiry because a) like the last person you asked, I don't care about Britt one way or the other, and b) going down this road misses the substance of my issues with your posts.

Maybe Britt is getting a push some feel she's undeserving of. I don't care one way or another. She's not the first person in show biz who will benefit from being perceived by decision makers as telegenic and marketable, and she sure won't be the last. It doesn't merit a disproportionate reaction. And it certainly doesn't merit spreading salacious rumours which could be personally and professionally embarrassing. It's gross. If I implied about you half of what you've implied about her, you'd rightly want to crack my jaw. Be better. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is a pointless line of inquiry because a) like the last person you asked, I don't care about Britt one way or the other, and b) going down this road misses the substance of my issues with your posts.

Maybe Britt is getting a push some feel she's undeserving of. I don't care one way or another. She's not the first person in show biz who will benefit from being perceived by decision makers as telegenic and marketable, and she sure won't be the last. It doesn't merit a disproportionate reaction. And it certain doesn't merit spreading salacious rumours which could be personally embarrassing. It's gross. If I implied about you half of what you've implied about her, you'd rightly want to crack my jaw. Be better. 

I'm not implying though I've seen her trash other companies.  She legit lied to a promoter so she didn't have to wrestle another worker. I even messaged the tweet proofing this to another member on here.  It's like I said before if she wasn't such a bad human I wouldn't care about the push and I would be proud to see a local girl pushed hard.  She's not a good person,  she went a trashed ROH recently (which may be deserved)  She has trashed AIW, IWC,  and even goes as far as to say she was never trained at the IWC school.   The majority of workers in Pittsburgh will vouch for this and it's not out of jealousy either.   

People say to drop the Brit posts and thats fine but the biggest issue I (and many others) have with AEW is that she is being shoved down our throats when she really needs more seasoning. 

Watched Cody & QT Marshall against The Butcher & The Blade and the psychology seemed really off to me. You have a debuting team bumping pretty hard for the jobber.  You have the star treating the jobber like he's a normal partner which defeats the point of having them in there together in first place. And you have the jobber who was selected to be the star's punishment wrestle perfectly fine who only lost because he got double teamed for an inordinate amount of time (referee's count was at a slow 8). So you have multiple purposes that this match could serve and the undercard guy gets the most out of it?  Isn't that kind of dumb?  B&B certainly didn't go over strong and it never felt like Cody was in a position where he was overcoming odds.

Ross was terrible in this saying he'll now learn The Butcher and The Blade's names which is... The Butcher and The Blade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

She legit lied to a promoter so she didn't have to wrestle another worker. I even messaged the tweet proofing this to another member on here.

I was going to hold off on this but that person would be me.  I did check the stuff out and see where you're getting at.  But while there might be more to it I just didn't see enough to have a personal issue with her.  Yeah, getting where she did due to Cole helped but many people get somewhere due to who they know or are with.  That's wrestling which is also show business.

I think we're all in agreement though that her skills are not worth Britt being pushed.  She's green and the progression just isn't there.  Do I hate her?  No, but I would rather others like Statlander have a go at the title instead of her.  The personal stuff just isn't needed to bash her when there's plenty of reasons to do that.  Not to discount your opinion but just don't see how doubling down is helping your case when pretty much everybody doesn't care for her anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

People say to drop the Brit posts and thats fine but the biggest issue I (and many others) have with AEW is that she is being shoved down our throats when she really needs more seasoning. 

In the spirit of taking this down a notch, I'll take this discussion off of Britt specifically. 

While Britt is a glaring example of this, I think there's an AEW-wide phenomena of aggressively pushing into the spotlight younger stars who can clearly use a bit more seasoning. It's part of attempting to make stars. Not all of them are going to be ready and not everyone is going to hit. But from MJF right down to Britt Baker and Private Party and Jungle Boy, this company has put the spotlight on a lot of people who lack that seasoning. And in the name of building stars, it can be said that the practice has its virtues. Personally, it's refreshing to see a major company that actually wants to (and has to by necessity) build new stars. There are real opportunities here rather than imaginary brass rings and endless logjams in the system. I think a lot of this audience is craving this approach vs parking guys in a warehouse for years and never letting a guy like Andrade break out of the undercard. 

It's a work in progress and it's noticeable all over the card. 

• Like 4

I think next week is going to be huge for Jungle Boy. Live TV against Jericho. It will be a telling tale. Darby was in the same boat and he proved he is legit. I have a feeling Jungle Boy will as well. One detail I noticed more so on last nights show is the over selling. I noticed it quite a bit in the main event to where it took awhile from the match.   Having said that I still think AEW is near the top of the list when it comes to must see weekly wrestling.  Anyone who hasn't watched Beyond Uncharted should try them as well because they haven't had a bad episode yet. 

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Watched Cody & QT Marshall against The Butcher & The Blade and the psychology seemed really off to me. You have a debuting team bumping pretty hard for the jobber.  You have the star treating the jobber like he's a normal partner which defeats the point of having them in there together in first place. And you have the jobber who was selected to be the star's punishment wrestle perfectly fine who only lost because he got double teamed for an inordinate amount of time (referee's count was at a slow 8). So you have multiple purposes that this match could serve and the undercard guy gets the most out of it?  Isn't that kind of dumb?  B&B certainly didn't go over strong and it never felt like Cody was in a position where he was overcoming odds.

Ross was terrible in this saying he'll now learn The Butcher and The Blade's names which is... The Butcher and The Blade. 

I completely agree with this.  It's a point I didn't hit hard enough when I had comments about this show earlier but hey, it was early in the morning and I hadn't had my 4th cup of coffee yet.  You can't have a "heel picks jobber as the babyface's partner" angle if the jobber is allowed to shine this much UNLESS the gimmick the jobber is a diamond in the rough and is going to get  a push coming out of this.  And Marshall is most likely not getting a push coming out of this. 

I've said before Britt desperately needs a stint either at the PC or a Japanese dojo, so I'm with people who say she's overpushed.

But is it really that hard to figure out why a very attractive, well spoken, fairly athletic woman with a built-in interesting backstory is getting pushed?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I liked the match and the idea of QT being under-estimated worked for the story of the match. But more broadly, yeah, he's probably not getting anything off of this. They probably could have saved that kind of competitiveness for the Darby match. 

Jericho had a meeting with the tag teams in AEW to go over tag team psychology and how to put together good tag matches and feuds.  I think your way would have been better.  Darby is going to have a huge 2020 and if AEW comes up with a secondary mens belt I would assume Darby gets the initial run with it. 

Bucks vs PNP seemed tonally off in that they injected stuff into the match that took too much of the edge off the feud with humor and simultaneously made it a number one contender match.  PNP went too cartoonish with their selling in my opinion and they've become less killers and more goofy. Instead of making this a personal matter that both teams took seriously, they injected the football helmet stuff and multiple table prat falls that deluded the intensity. Cutler being power bombed through the stage was the most 'this is our spot now and we do it every week' thing that should not be one. The interaction with SCU really just distracted from the current issue. It would have been more appropriate for them to announce the title match after this one, maybe next week or on social media.  I feel like PNP and Sammy G have been really hurt by all the job duty they've been on lately.  I don't know that feeding them to the faces most weeks is the best course of action. I feel like this feud went with a whimper after a hot start. It never felt personal to me which is a major issue I have with AEW's house style where everyone does everything to everybody.

Regarding B&TB taking QT lightly, I didn't see that come across in their performance. They never really treated him differently in the match than you would expect they would someone of a higher status.  If anything, QT mocked them which is the completely wrong way to go.

Edited by Goodear

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I completely agree with this.  It's a point I didn't hit hard enough when I had comments about this show earlier but hey, it was early in the morning and I hadn't had my 4th cup of coffee yet.  You can't have a "heel picks jobber as the babyface's partner" angle if the jobber is allowed to shine this much UNLESS the gimmick the jobber is a diamond in the rough and is going to get  a push coming out of this.  And Marshall is most likely not getting a push coming out of this. 

Like if they had picked Marko Stunt (EDIT) or Orange Cassidy in the role, I think it immediately makes even more sense from MJF's perspective and jumps off the page more to the crowd.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1