DVDVR Message Board

Amazon Prime

Victator

I feel like I get my $80 worth every year, even though I don't use the streaming service that much.  The Kindle Free Library is pretty cool, but bear in mind it only works with dedicated Kindle devices (the e-ink gadgets and the Fire), not with the Kindle app for smartphones, PC, etc.

I more than make the money back at Christmas time, but by that point, I've already made it back in other ways. It's a great service that seems expensive on the surface, but it pays for itself about as well as a Sams Club card does, AND you can share/split the cost with others.

I've had a succession of Kindles since 2009 and probably couldn't live without one at this point.  The Paperwhite is pretty much the perfect reading device IMO; I can read on it for hours with no eye strain, it's easy to change print size and I only have to recharge it every three weeks or so.  

As for formats, it will read plain text or document files, though I haven't used that feature in so long it may still be set up such that you have to e-mail the document to a @kindle.com address to get it converted and added to your shit.  It's not so good with PDFs and it won't read epub (which has become the dominant format for store-unaffiliated e-books) at all, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...