DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

If only. In a fun (to me, at least) side tangent: I was watching the Urban Wrestling Federation shows on Youtube and realized that, at the time, my sister worked for the company who distributed them. They also distribute those cheap ppvs you will see of "extreme" women's wrestling, "classic" wrestling and some CZW with new commentary. The local cable company is always running one of these shows and their Youtube channel has them all to watch. I asked her about it and she told me she met some "crazy guy who wouldn't stop talking about how he started extreme wrestling and everyone ripped him off all over the world." I asked her who she was talking about and she couldn't remember. Turns out it was Steve Karel and he is a jerk, in her words. 

Wait, the dude from The Office(The good one)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wait, the dude from The Office(The good one)?

I'd be interested in seeing Michael Scott at a deathmatch show.

Also, in case you weren't joking (hard to tell online and I don't want to come off like a know-it-all who is talking down to anyone so please don't think that) Steve Karel is not the actor and was a guy involved in the business side of ECW. Not 100% sure what he did but he has a company that recenty invested in CZW, I guess. Fightful, in an article from April of this year, said he and his company plan to run live CZW PPVs and, as far as I know, that hasn't happened. Maybe on Fite but not on real PPV. If they did, I doubt they'd go off very well, knowing CZW and DJ's track records. Shame too because I love CZW. Or at least, loved it. I haven't followed it in years but I always had fun watching their shows, even if it seemed like the established indy guys would treat their CZW dates as a "night off" in ways. You always got good performances out of the CZW-lifers but their versions of indy dream matches never seemed to live up to expectations, even if the same match would be insanely great in other promotions. Their Best of the Best lineups on paper always had the potential to be highlights of the year and never quite lived up to that potential. 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You also have CMLL on YouTube for Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. As well as occasional AAA shows airing on Twitch TV.

In a perfect world one of us will tell the rest of us that they found this crazy hip-hop wrestling federation in the middle of the night on their local MyTV, and we can add it to the list.

You forgot ROH on syndication and channels like NESN at 2am    ?

IIRC Steve Karel was the shadowy money guy who helped Heyman run ECW. He was probably the dude that helped Heyman embezzle the company from Tod Gordon. They brought him up in that unauthorized ECW book that ended with a laundry list of all the money owed to specific wrestlers. 

EDIT: Whoops, I missed Razorblade's post. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Are we really applauding that Al Snow video?  It's essentially the same Lance Storm style "you can't have an opinion on wrestling because you're not in the business" bullshit that so many old guys throw out there when they have no other compelling argument.

And how can a guy so intelligent say with a stright face that kayfabe was born out of respect for the fans?   The entire root of kayfabe is the belief that the fans are "marks," fools ripe to be conned out of their money.

It is a bit amazing how many fans romanticize and love kayfabe despite that very fact, myself included for quite some time. I'll take the current generation who seem to treat the fans with more respect than that old carnie philosophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

IIRC Steve Karel was the shadowy money guy who helped Heyman run ECW. He was probably the dude that helped Heyman embezzle the company from Tod Gordon. They brought him up in that unauthorized ECW book that ended with a laundry list of all the money owed to specific wrestlers. 

EDIT: Whoops, I missed Razorblade's post. 

Wait what unauthorized ECW book? I know about the Scott Williams one, was there another I was unaware of?

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

?

Well, Rush is champion now. Maybe that’ll bring in interest from the Latin American crowd to these shows. But look at the people running the ROH. The only way this could work is if a Konnan like figure emerges from the back, and backseat books a lot of Rush’s stuff, like he did for the original LAX. Then you remember how TNA dropped the ball on that potential money maker:

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs