DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Kim K has nothing to do with thicker women being in vogue.

Nothing? I guess I'll have to take your word for it, but I feel there is a lot of evidence to the contrary.

18 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

First, a lot of the body positivity talk is a façade.

Based on what? Your personal opinion of her, based on a bias that you admittedly have because you feel she's appropriating black culture?

20 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Second, Kim's figure was mostly given to her by a cosmetic surgeon. That's not an indictment on her, just the truth.

It's also not relevant, even though I guess it is the part of your post that resonated the most with dudes here, surprise surprise. It may be relevant to the argument that she's co-opting the body type of black women, but that isn't actually what the discussion was about. It's just your specific reason for disliking her.

23 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Third, saying she popularized fuller figures opens a major can of worms. Queen Latifah has been a celebrity with a plus-size figure for around 30 years, for starters. And she's a hell of a lot more talented/respected.

If you're really suggesting that Queen Latifah is has more to do with the popular shift in body image perception in recent times than Kim, I don't really know how to address that in a way that isn't dismissive. I know that's something you've talked about dealing with a lot on this board and in these kinds of discussions, and I am sorry, but I am legitimately dumbfounded here.

28 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Kim has done good work with helping wrongfully imprisoned people get released, but many more do the same thing without the fanfare.

...so? How does that minimize the work she's done? Unless you're hinting at something that was already suggested - that it's all a part of some carefully coordinated PR campaign. Which kind of just seems like a way for people to confirm their bias against her rather than anything rooted in reality. It's not like she was dealing with some major scandal that she needed to do damage control for.

Attitude issues have always been cited for the reason for the WWE not signing Tessa at the time

There haven't been any firm details beyond that outside the high profile incident she had with... Victoria??? at like a Cauliflower Alley or NWA Convention (Jesus my memory is fucking gone). I remember some of that was around mistaken identity though (It was during the time period she was dating Ricochet)

Now many people have also said similar things in regards to her being very nice, easy to deal with too.

@Tromatagon I think was able to recall a story or two from the Lucha Underground days but again since my memory sucks I can't remember if it was pro or con.

• Thanks 1

Mate, did you seriously say "As white men, your opinions on feminism are of lesser relevance" and then ten minutes later tell a Black Woman she was in no position to discuss the Kardashians culturally appropriating black culture? Are you not seeing any contradiction there?

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Infinit said:

With all due respect, the Kardashians would not be where they are today if it weren't for their cosmetic surgeons and Kim's sex tape lol.

Now back to pro wres. This is gonna be a historic week...who else is excited???

This guy right here. This-uh business-uh is the only thing I like more than thicc women. 

Edit: oh no many things were posted between me typing this and hitting submit

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Attitude issues have always been cited for the reason for the WWE not signing Tessa at the time

There haven't been any firm details beyond that outside the high profile incident she had with... Victoria??? at like a Cauliflower Alley or NWA Convention (Jesus my memory is fucking gone). I remember some of that was around mistaken identity though (It was during the time period she was dating Ricochet)

Now many people have also said similar things in regards to her being very nice, easy to deal with too.

@Tromatagon I think was able to recall a story or two from the Lucha Underground days but again since my memory sucks I can't remember if it was pro or con.

Yes, thank you. You also jogged my memory. I think it actually was you and Casey (shoot names!) who told me the exact thing you just said and that pretty much settled it for me. So, don't rail on your memory too much.

As for all of the other talk about Kim K., I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. I would rather we talk about how insane the weekly wrestling schedule is now. Raw has become the show I have on my other monitor while I play Dota, or now Borderlands 3, so I'm barely paying attention to Raw unless something looks cool and then I'll rewind and rewatch. Tuesday is the same problem I've had with Impact for awhile now. I wish YTTV carried AXS. The last I really watched of Impact was back a year ago or more before it was moved to a channel that YTTV didn't carry. Wednesday I'll watch AEW live and I'll just keep watching NXT later, which is what I do now. And then Thursdays...Is there nothing on Thursday? And finally, I'll watch SmackDown live this week mainly because my wife is working and I'll have that night to myself while she's keeping people alive.

Oh! Thursdays. Thursdays is the Good Place and It's Always Sunny, so that's settled I guess. Yay TV!

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wasn't me. I think I may have asked why WWE missed on her in NXT and someone else may have said that though.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yes, thank you. You also jogged my memory. I think it actually was you and Casey (shoot names!) who told me the exact thing you just said and that pretty much settled it for me. So, don't rail on your memory too much.

I'm pretty sure it was you who I first saw bring this up unless there is an imposter Craig H, but you were asking if she had heat or attitude problems and not saying that she had heat. So you are certainly correct on that front. 

But here is the genesis of what RIPPA is talking about from what I can gather:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7658-nmm-8-tessa-blanchard/&do=findComment&comment=847389

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

With Tessa in LU, I think she got kind of snakebit as being seen as a package item with Ricochet and him very vocally and very publicly wanting to leave.

Tessa got injured in a dark match and fucked up her arm real bad.

There was some heat with Ivelisse since she didn't apologize, allegedly.  Tessa and Ricochet were pretty public about it and mentioned it on twitter, mini shitstorm that would have been huge if more people actually watched the show.

I'm not a trained wrestler, but I don't think you should have to apologize for someone landing wrong and dislocating their elbow or whatever it was, it was pretty fucking gross looking, I remember that.  But I don't remember the move that did it now - I know at the time it seemed like she landed wrong instead of getting thrown wrong?  But I'm not trained and don't know shit so I can be 100% wrong there, but throwing shade on twitter about it always feels like a punk move.  Handle that shit in the back.

Still though, if you work indies and some promoters say you have a bad attitude, it's sometimes because you're not someone who fucks promoters for bookings.  I never EVER trust accounts of bad attitudes in regards to female wrestlers without citing specific events due to this.  It's bullshit and the business is fucking gross.  Still.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well I remember that Tessa had a major issue with Karen Jarrett I think at a Wrestlecon or some other WM weekend event.  At the time most people just chalked it up to Karen and his and Jeff drinking issues but maybe that wasn't all that true. 

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

WWE no matter what rating they choose to adhere to has solidly confirmed wrestling as ‘trash’ tv.  There isn’t a week that goes by that they don’t further the idea.  The damage is irreversible.

I would think you can look at the way other FOX programs have promoted the WWE and prove that.  Except for the TV specials and maybe Big E doing his New Day like entrance on boxing this weekend, almost all of them have made the WWE and/or wrestling look eh at best.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

With Tessa in LU, I think she got kind of snakebit as being seen as a package item with Ricochet and him very vocally and very publicly wanting to leave.

Tessa got injured in a dark match and fucked up her arm real bad.

There was some heat with Ivelisse since she didn't apologize, allegedly.  Tessa and Ricochet were pretty public about it and mentioned it on twitter, mini shitstorm that would have been huge if more people actually watched the show.

I'm not a trained wrestler, but I don't think you should have to apologize for someone landing wrong and dislocating their elbow or whatever it was, it was pretty fucking gross looking, I remember that.  But I don't remember the move that did it now - I know at the time it seemed like she landed wrong instead of getting thrown wrong?  But I'm not trained and don't know shit so I can be 100% wrong there, but throwing shade on twitter about it always feels like a punk move.  Handle that shit in the back.

I would think knowing the move that did it would be important since there are proper ways to take them. It's not MMA.Your job is to protect the people you're in the ring with. I mean if it's something like Madusa KO'ing Sherri with a german suplex...they have a long history where Sherri probably chalked it up to the game. They know each other. Green wrestlers wrestling other green wrestlers is going to be a bit disastrous especially if they don't work with each other regularly. An apology is the least you can do because you're going have to develop some type of repor with each other if you wind up in the same company together. I think Jerry Lynn probably knows he fucked up posting his arm that time he wrestled Dean Malenko on Nitro and broke his arm back in 1995. I don't know Dean, however, I would say Dean probably wasn't a dick and apologized even if it was Jerry's fault. Jerry wasn't even making money and had to get a job in the interim to pay his bills. If this was a different era of wrestling, Tessa's receipt would have been dropping her on her noggin or a swift punch to her soup coolers and not jabs on Twitter. 

Also, didn't Ahmed Johnson get a whole bunch of heat for injuring people in WWF and not giving a shit or did I imagine that? Was that heat not justified or has wrestling culture changed that much since I stopped watching?

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Was Victoria at a WM weekend show in 2016

1 minute ago, cool arrow said:

I don't remember Ahmed getting heat so much for hurting other guys as hurting himself

Dude, it was BOTH. 

3 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Was Victoria at a WM weekend show in 2016

So she confused Tessa with Sarah Logan? The highspots dvd has Tessa vs. Crazy Mary Dobson as the 4th match.

2 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

I don't remember Ahmed getting heat so much for hurting other guys as hurting himself, but that was all a long time ago and who wants to remember Ahmed Johnson anyway?

I always want to remember this

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

5 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

I don't remember Ahmed getting heat so much for hurting other guys as hurting himself, but that was all a long time ago and who wants to remember Ahmed Johnson anyway?

Admit it, you want to remember Ahmed in those short, short jean shorts.

...not that there's anything wrong with that

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I always want to remember this

giphy.gif

Seriously fuck those guys anyway.

But I will remember for Ahmed for being from Mississippi even though Tony Norris is not actually from Mississippi. After JYD kinda fell off the scene, I needed another fellow Mississippian to root for. Even a kayfabe one would do.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Seriously fuck those guys anyway.

But I will remember for Ahmed for being from Mississippi even though Tony Norris is not actually from Mississippi. After JYD kinda fell off the scene, I needed another fellow Mississippian to root for. Even a kayfabe one would do.

You've got Marko and Logan Stunt now.