DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

41 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Going back to the "performance art" question with Jordynne Grace...the weird thing is, even as wrestling changes to that viewpoint, we haven't seen a promotion completely steer into the skid there.

Give every person who goes to the show a voting card, and then run the matches similarly to pairs figure skating: The two/four workers are seen as a team working their match. The matches are ranked by the crowd vote, and at the end of the show the winning "match" is announced and given the win. 

This seems absurd- but it's the natural end of a "performance art"-based wrestling. If it's not able to go that far, it's inherently saying "the role you play does matter and being able to make people believe in your role matters."

Aaargh, this is one of my main beefs with Bischoff - he keeps harping on a wrestling "performance" show with judges that vote on the timed matches.

Wrestling is an art, but it is uncertain if it is Art. If you equate it with acting or performance art (Arts) then you realize that Art is not voted on or graded. Indeed, it could be argued that an audience is not even necessary for "true Art". Pro wrestling does need an audience, and there is interaction between the workers and the crowd but traditionally (and I believe essentially) the workers are in total control of the event

Wrestling is sui generis. It contains elements of other arts, crafts, sports and even Art, but it is not any one of them.

- RAF

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wednesday I'll watch AEW live and I'll just keep watching NXT later, which is what I do now. And then Thursdays...Is there nothing on Thursday?

Thursdays will have NXT UK going up on the Network starting this week

7 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Thursdays will have NXT UK going up on the Network starting this week

NWA just announced that their TV show will be 6 pm EST on Thursdays. But it is Facebook and Youtube so you can pretty much watch it whenever the fuck you want.

Billy sure loves to burn through that Smashing Pumpkins money

24 minutes ago, nofuture said:

ojlj6urw4sp31.jpg

A glimpse of the new Raw set.

I like to believe the colors stay like that consistently all show. Test Patterns, the new theme for a new era.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Are we really applauding that Al Snow video?  It's essentially the same Lance Storm style "you can't have an opinion on wrestling because you're not in the business" bullshit that so many old guys throw out there when they have no other compelling argument.

And how can a guy so intelligent say with a stright face that kayfabe was born out of respect for the fans?   The entire root of kayfabe is the belief that the fans are "marks," fools ripe to be conned out of their money.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

ojlj6urw4sp31.jpg

That's an 18,000 seat venue?  Is 1/3 killed by the stage and 1/3 tarped off?  Damn.

I haven't been to a show at a large arena in a while but I remember going to shows in Baltimore when I was younger and it felt like the number of rows from the floor to the back was like 20.  It's 8 here.  And definitely at least 10 from the ring to the side dasher boards.  Here it's 5.  I know they need room for the bigger ringside area and everything else, but holy shit this looks so chintzy when the illusion of TV isn't there. 

Edited by Technico Support

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Are we really applauding that Al Snow video?  It's essentially the same Lance Storm style "you can't have an opinion on wrestling because you're not in the business" bullshit that so many old guy throw out there when they have no other compelling argument.

And how can a guy so intelligent say with a stright face that kayfabe was born out of respect for the fans?   The entire root of kayfabe is the belief that the fans are "marks," fools ripe to be conned out of their money.

You never stop working the marks.

Ultimately, Al Snow is as well known for being a trainer of faux fisties as he is for the Head gimmick. So he's got a nerve really. Tough Enough undeniably exposed the business.

• Like 2

Pin me, pay me isn't too different from expose the business, act self righteous about it later on, pay me.

Edit: Incidentally, that lead me to this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Me-Pay-Boots-Travel/dp/1491248440

Edited by Ryan
Bobby Blaze wrote a book? Okay.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Attitude issues have always been cited for the reason for the WWE not signing Tessa at the time

There haven't been any firm details beyond that outside the high profile incident she had with... Victoria??? at like a Cauliflower Alley or NWA Convention (Jesus my memory is fucking gone). I remember some of that was around mistaken identity though (It was during the time period she was dating Ricochet)

Now many people have also said similar things in regards to her being very nice, easy to deal with too.

@Tromatagon I think was able to recall a story or two from the Lucha Underground days but again since my memory sucks I can't remember if it was pro or con.

Another incident with Tessa was her getting into at least two physical altercations with Courtney Stewart/Isla Dawn during Stardom's 2016 5*GP. Stewart felt things were bad enough that she left the tour early w/o permission. Supposedly the altercations may have been Stewart's fault, and she may have annoyed the rest of roster as well. That said, its hard not to disregard those claims as potential bs when you can see match towards the end of tour where Tessa clearly tries to start shit with Kagetsu during a match and later with Blue Nikita post match. Keep in mind Nikita was just a second in the match and was trying to check on Kris Wolf post match. 

3 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

going back to the Naomi convo, this bummed me out.

Pity she lost a close loved one. Hope she will be alright mentally and physically. It nice to hear something from her.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You've got Marko Stunt in AEW.

True. But Marko didn't come to MS until he was like 15. And mostly worked TN indies since he was living in North MS. 

WHich is why even though Marko was working MS a bit since I moved back I hadn't heard about him until he hit PWG.

52 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I like to believe the colors stay like that consistently all show. Test Patterns, the new theme for a new era.

I would love if they busted out some wild ass colour scheme like that for the actual presentation. Fuck am I sick of red and black. Something like New Day's colour palette and TJP's old entrance effects but on an arena wide scale would be amazing.

5 hours ago, cool arrow said:

I don't remember Ahmed getting heat so much for hurting other guys as hurting himself, but that was all a long time ago and who wants to remember Ahmed Johnson anyway?

I always remember that Candido story (Googling just comes up with a lot of sleazy talk about whether or not Sunny slept with Ahmed) where he said Ahmed lifted him up in a suplex than dropped him on his head, Candido dismissed as bad luck and moved on.  Then Ahmed did it in their next match and Candido was badmouthing him backstage. Ahmed called him on it and threatened to beat him up and Candido's reply was something like "Yeah, you're bigger than me and can probably beat me up, but this is fake fighting we're talking about and when it comes to fake fighting, you suck!" 

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Saw someone talking about this on Twitter the other day. I remember watching this as a kid on TV and it's some wild stuff. Nailz legit stiffed up Bossman here.

That was one of those moments where I was watching wrestling and was like "Ok, this might be real"  because I didnt think a guy would willingly lay in a puddle of his own snot and spit like Bossman did.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Just a reminder, that the lyrics of this are complete nonsense and banana:

Spoiler

Test, this is a Test, Test, Test, This is a Test
Here we go, bring your name, we can hold peace
Here we go, bring your name on the go
Freakin' pull the line and go, for the high school sock hop
Give it up, cause you and I know
Conceit to fall on parasol
'Cause Here we go, we can hold peace
Yo, here we go, bring your name on the go
Freakin' here we go, bring your name on the go
Freakin' for a jack off, you can go
Here we go, bring your name on the go Freakin'
Test (give it in), this is a Test (here we are again)
Give it in, here we are again
Give it in, this is a Test (here we are again)

Here we go, bring your name on the go Freakin'
Give it in, this is a Test (here we are again)

Here we go, bring your name on the go, Freakin'
Test (give it in)

• Like 1