DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

GTA 6 spoilers/news/leaks?

Multiple cities? 

I hope that the rumors of one of the cities being Liberty City is not true.

I'd rather have two brand new locations (Vice City / San Fiero or Vice City / Las Venturas) than a return to Liberty City.

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’d like either a foreign city (tokyo) or a different time period. I like the idea of Prohibition Chicago, which you could tie into RDR continuity. 

Red Dead is pretty much GTA set in a different time period unless they develop a version of LA Noire where you play a criminal instead of a police detective.

They've also done a foreign city before (London) but that was in the old school top scroller era.  Everything in the 3D era has been a city in their US doppleganger universe.

I think I'd prefer that they finish running the gauntlet of featuring their previous gen settings in current gen before moving outside of the GTA USA.

Bring back Vice City, toss in Fake London and have Fake Chicago - but at least leave the West coast and NYC out of it.

Oooooh though, a fictional GTA DC/capital city would be fun...

They just need to stop being dick teases and go back to Vice City again already.  I think if they do they won't do it in the 80s, but could totally cash in on the early 90s kid nostalgia instead (since they haven't visited THAT city in the early 90s yet).

I'd prefer Las Venturas more than anything they'd probably actually do, though.  It'd be cool to go from GTA V, based on my actual home, to a game based on my second home.

Edited by Tromatagon

They don't set GTA games in the past any more. That was only in the PS2 era*. GTA 4 is set in 2008, came out in 2008. GTA 5 is set in 2013, and came out in 2013. If GTA 6 is coming out in 2021, that's when it's set.

* And even then, GTA 3 was set in 2001. It's just the ones named after cities, or (city) stories that were set in the past.

10 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

They just need to stop being dick teases and go back to Vice City again already.  I think if they do they won't do it in the 80s, but could totally cash in on the early 90s kid nostalgia instead (since they haven't visited THAT city in the early 90s yet).

I'd prefer Las Venturas more than anything they'd probably actually do, though.  It'd be cool to go from GTA V, based on my actual home, to a game based on my second home.

I'd really like one in Las Venturas also.  The last Need For Speed was kind of a cruel tease for that.

• RIPPA locked and unlocked this topic

God - how did I let the old thread get past 100 pages. There were like 30 pages of FSW saying he was the greatest Online player ever but then actively avoiding the PS crew.

Anyway - from the leak Mark cited.

• - it was via Reddit of course
  • - Post already taken down
  • - it would be you start in Liberty City and then go to Vice City
  • - Wont be out forever because Rockstar wants to look at "Next Gen Consoles sales first"
  • - Memory restrictions would mean you can't play it on current gen

The thing about the leak is that I keep hearing people say Bully 2 will be the next rockstar game and they wont do another gta game until "the political climate changes." So, never. ?

RIP old GTA thread.  You'll be missed, though probably not by Rippa.  I'm pretty sure I filled at least one page just with stupid shit based about Bill Paxton movies.  And probably 50 pages with entertaining (to me at least) ways to blow up dots.

Since it looks like the new consoles are probably gonna be out for Christmas 2020, I guess I'm hoping for late 2021 for the next game, though I'm guessing that's horribly optimistic on my part.

Whenever it comes out, I'm hoping for Vice City as the location.  I'm still not over how much I hated GTA 4, so I really don't want to be stuck back in Liberty again.

It's pretty damn amazing/impressive how Rockstar has managed to make a shit ton of money with GTA on current gen without even bothering to develop a game for it.

Edited by Robert C

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I don't want to go back to Liberty or Vice, I would rather see the Atlanta or Houston stand in of the GTAU.

I would like to see Vice City as the setting so that Rockstar completes the cycle and has current gen game set in all of the major settings from the previous gen.

A Yakuza vs. Triad gang war in San Fiero might also be cool.

I have a bad feeling that if they did a game set in ATL, it would probably have the same plot line as the new Superfly joint so they'd really have to be creative there so that the game didn't feel like something that was already done.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No one watched the Superfly reboot so it would be new to everyone but you

I can't help it if other people are not brave enough to occasionally lower their standards.

There was noting wrong with Superfly being Superfly In Name Only and pretty much being a spiritual GTA live action movie in Atlanta.

It wasn't quite Saint's Row since no one had super powers.

Edited by J.T.

7 minutes ago, Robert C said:

They could set the game here in Austin.  It'd cut down on the time and money spent developing a bunch of individual NPC character models.  Just make em all look like CSC's  GTA V online hipster.

Oh Lord - I would never not have a 5 star wanted level from running them all over with my car

I'd be too busy trying to get into every restaurant to finish the game.

Personally, I think the DelMarVa area with DC being the main city would be a very cool place.  Though DC is such an infuriating place to drive...

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I hope you like a game where you sit in your car going one mile in 90 minutes

It would be fun be driving on the beltway and have to jump across an open Wilson bridge. 

I will say that I would probably get some sort of weird PSTD driving around a GTA DC.

I remember @CSC used to bitch that part of GTA V was like his commute home and how that was so not relaxing