DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

Thanks for bringing up Bobby Shane. I had forgot about his story and he was one of the biggest "what ifs" in wrestling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Shane

If you've ever read Gary Hart's book you know about the plane crash and how horrifying it was. Gary of course would be the greatest Dark Side guy if he was still alive. They should just repurpose footage from Heroes of World Class and make an episode.

• Like 2

didn't see the first 13 minutes of the Sherri episode.. what I did see was an interesting divide between the episode's narrative and the timeline was sorta loose, but probably not incorrect. Eric Bischoff was sorta just there to say that he had no idea why Sherri was available and then he fired her later on for drugs

her son looked in rough shape. I guess cancer/oral cancer can cause all that and if they hadn't mentioned cancer, I would have just concluded he spent a bunch of time using crystal meth or something similar

it feels like this episode just bumped the timeline forward for the question of "when did wrestlers start using somas" since that always seemed like a mid-90s thing and Cornette is telling stories referencing that with Sherri in 1993

In a way, she kinda arrived 10 years too soon. Well, at least 10 years, if not more.

notes from the first 13 minutes:

Jake Roberts is a mix of sounding like he's sincere and telling the truth but a lot of his stories about other people are essentially about himself

I guess Sherri being billed from New Orleans makes more sense now. Her ex-husband from Louisiana has a very very Louisiana accent. There's not one southern accent, obviously, and you can tell the difference between places if you know it.

The last name Gonzales from Louisiana does sorta suggest "Isleno" (descendent of people from the Canary Islands off of Spain who ended up in Louisiana when it was ruled by Spain). If you saw the last name and didn't know which kind of Hispanic it could have been.

That ex-husband really came off like a guy who tried to bribe Edwin Edwards to get a favor.

Meanwhile to the people who didn't see the Grizz episode, the "Sherri was a little old for Grizzly Smith" thing might have flown over some of their heads.

By this point in DSOTR, there's almost a universe of episodes where one references one from a few years ago.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 4

This is one that I don't think I can watch again. It's just too heartbreaking. I can't believe how beautiful was, and how talented, because I haven't seen much really, so to have it end like that...

And fuck Eric Bischoff forever. All the money in the world. No rehab, no surgery, no nothing. Right out on her ass. Fuuuuuuck YOU. 

• Like 8

I am sure there are people who will say that they knew everything about Sherri and nothing is really new but this feels like the episode where we learned more about someone well know then before.  Well except for Chris Colt but he wasn't on the fame level as Martel.   The early part of her career I had really no idea about.  The first recollection I have of Sherri was that video someone from here or PWO posted of her in the crowd from what I assume was late 70's.  No idea she was in the business in 1974.   No idea she was a stripper before that.  So the theory that the wrestling business caused her issues isn't necessarily true except for the Soma part.   Didn't know about her kids and the issues he had

It is interesting if the story is true who were the people that basically told Sherri ex husband that she is part of their business now and leave her alone.  I don't think they mentioned the time line so it would either be Memphis guys or Leroy McQuirk guys.  I wonder if JR would have any information on that

It is strange how they completely ignored Sherri's return back to WWE after she was fired from WCW.   Actually forgot that she worked SMW.  Also kind of glossed over the HOF speech as "her speaking her mind" and not the general belief that she was either drunk or on pills.  

Yeah not one of Bischoff best episodes in terms of perception.  I am sure that he will just blame it on Meltzer if Conrad talks about it

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

Man she must've been stripping before she was 18. That's rough. She was a single child from a single mom too. She had to have grew up hard, and they didn't talk about that. Guess it wasn't necessary.

And if she was pilled up at the ceremony and made some people uncomfortable, especially management, they deserved it. It's what they started, what they failed to help, and they should take the credit.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5

Bischoff being a cold-hearted bastard is no surprise, the way he talks about some of the talent on 83 Weeks. The irony is that the guy derides Ed Leslie for being a barnacle clinging to the S.S. Hulk Hogan, but doing that himself is essentially what accounts for a massive chunk of Bischoff's career post-WCW, so...

Anyway, if you're not a big enough name that Bisch wants to ride bikes with you and forge a future business partnership with you, you might as well be invisible to that guy. 

• Like 4

He's happy to come back and talk shit though. Sherri would have wrecked him. And she probably should before she left. 

That promo they showed about Robin was so small but so great I had to rewind it. "I'M NOT FINISHED YET!"

• Like 2

Sherri lasted a year and a half in WCW after Madusa dropped her on her head on Nitro

I don’t think they showed Sherri during the “Hulk Hogan we comin for you” interview even if they could have made that B Roll and not played the infamous line

On 4/24/2024 at 1:02 PM, Cobra Commander said:

“For some reason we showed Haku the Booker T/Hogan promo and he laughed for minutes”

Maybe it's because I'm stoned, but I'd love a DSOTR-spinoff where Haku is shown footage of events throughout history and we watch him laugh. 

• Like 4

On 4/24/2024 at 11:52 AM, SirSmUgly said:

Bischoff being a cold-hearted bastard is no surprise, the way he talks about some of the talent on 83 Weeks. The irony is that the guy derides Ed Leslie for being a barnacle clinging to the S.S. Hulk Hogan, but doing that himself is essentially what accounts for a massive chunk of Bischoff's career post-WCW, so...

It's always projection with these people

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They quoted (HA!) Raven on the Dark Side Facebook page. 

So, he's gonna be on the Sandman ep this Tuesday. 

This is gonna fuckin' rule.

He's in the Sandman trailer too. 

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They quoted (HA!) Raven on the Dark Side Facebook page. 

So, he's gonna be on the Sandman ep this Tuesday. 

This is gonna fuckin' rule.

Raven being on The Sandman episode makes me wonder if there's enough juiciness for a Raven episode. 

On 4/24/2024 at 11:52 AM, SirSmUgly said:

Anyway, if you're not a big enough name that Bisch wants to ride bikes with you and forge a future business partnership with you, you might as well be invisible to that guy. 

Yeah, Bischoff was supposed to announce the main event with me for the New World Rising PPV for Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling, but he blew me off.

Who called the match with me instead? Tracey Smothers. So I'm good with that.

• Like 5