DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

There were a couple Tales from the Territories on Vice this morning and they backed up basically the worst one (Calgary) with basically the best one (Hawaii). Now I feel like doing a best-to-worst list of them. 

1. Hawaii

2. Florida

3. Portland

4. Mid-South

5. Texas 

6. Memphis

7. Carolinas

8. Kaufman

9. AWA

10. Calgary

...and now I wanna watch the damn things again to see if the list holds

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Dallas Hart was currently running an incarnation of Stampede until I looked it up recently

Hadn't thought about his existence since his WWE Magazine column years ago - never knew he got into the business

Edited by Dolphman 3000

7 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I wasn't aware that Dallas Hart was currently running an incarnation of Stampede until I looked it up recently

Hadn't thought about his existence since his WWE Magazine column years ago - never knew he got into the business

Good to know we are no where close to running out of harts

Edited by zendragon

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, but I can't even count on one hand the times I saw him actually blade. The Piper match, something in Stampede I saw clips of once... shit, I can't think of anything else? Help me out here...

He hit a gusher at In Your House: Season's Beatings against Davey Boy. It's the infamous "I kept my blade in my mouth.." match. It's also his second major carry job with DBS. The funny thing is they tried (Vince was emphatic on commentary) their best to shoot around it. You got whole dark pinkish hue blood puddles in the ring and on the outside, and they refused to shoot anything up close.

He got color on Austin at WrestleMania 13. You can see him pull the blade out on camera. He got Steve pretty good on the temple. Slashed him.

Both of these (along with the Piper one at Wrestlemania VIII) were not approved, which makes it totally funny he got on Flair's case about being obsessed with blading.

Meltzer flat out saying at one point that it's a choice of believing a version from one of two liars pretty much hit the nail on the head. The truth of BATB 2000's main is a combination of both stories with some bullshit on both sides cut out. Having heard of absolutely none of this, it's a fascinating and hilarious episode. When Jeff Jarrett is coming off as the nicest and most honest guy in a scandalous story, you know you're wading knee deep in sewage. 

So Marty Jannetty is gonna be the season finale? I thought we had at least two more episodes before a finale? Huh. It just seems short. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Marty Jannetty is gonna be the season finale? I thought we had at least two more episodes before a finale? Huh

looking at the history of the DSOTR Wikipedia page, this season was always 10 episodes and August 8th is 10 weeks from May 30th

As for the episode...

BRO BRO I'M NOT MAD, PLEASE DON'T PUT IN THE NEWSPAPER THAT I GOT MAD

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Peck said:

That was just a complete soap opera of an episode. I think Lance Storm was the only one on there who's not a massive carny. 

Having listened to his podcast, it seems like Jeff genuinely just got caught up in all this. Between the BATB 2000 ep and the WWF NWA ep of My World, it's like a guy watching himself fall down but he's powerless to stop it. He's been put in some insanely shitty situations in his career.  

• Like 2

I am excited to find out that it’s impossible to defame a fictional character. This information has empowered me to pursue my dream of libeling Spider-Man

So how quickly did Hogan blow through his 7 figure settlement from Time-Warner for breach of contract?

• Like 3

On 7/28/2023 at 8:09 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Bam Bam Bigelow vs Lex Luger would be an interesting comparison. I think you could go either way for which guy had more potential/hype/veteran resentment, but Luger pretty obviously did more in the business

turns out a guy who did a jail stint in Mexico who couldn't get into Canada had limits on his star potential

I was wondering about that claim in the doco

Cagematch has him wrestling in Canada for WWF in 1995, WCW in 1990 and WWF in 87 and 88.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I am excited to find out that it’s impossible to defame a fictional character.

This is why wrestling is so weird.  The "fictional characters" wrestlers portray are far closer to the real person than in traditional acting.  Roman Reigns doesn't go on talk shows as Joe Anoa'i to discuss the character Roman Reigns, who he plays on on TV, like you'd see Chris Evans talking about his portrayal of Captain America.  Likewise, wrestlers only portray one character at a time and might portray that character for a long time if not for life.  So saying "Hulk Hogan" can't be slandered or whatever because he's just a character portrayed by Terry Bollea is weird because Terry Bollea essentially IS Hulk Hogan.  It's not like Kate Winslet suing over someone talking shit about Mare Sheehan.

I think this key difference between wrestlers and actors, along with promoters breaking kayfabe entirely too long after it should have been broken, are reasons wrestling will never be taken seriously by the mainstream.  People who don't like it will always see it as a fake con being pulled by people who want you to think it's real.  And that's kind of what it still is, with there being no separation between the characters and the people. 

Anyway, I haven't seen the episode yet because SlingTV decided to not DVR it, but the concept of not being able to sue in this context really hit a note with me.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

If Time-Warner/Turner didn't want to flush the toilet on WCW and we got Eric Bischoff Presents Hogan Championship Wrestling, there is some interesting fantasy booking you could do. Main thing I can think of is the Disciple as permanent US or TV champion (they didn't have an IC belt anymore did they? What was the secondary title below World?). What else you think might could happen? Who gets sacked/buried, who gets elevated? 

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If Time-Warner/Turner didn't want to flush the toilet on WCW and we got Eric Bischoff Presents Hogan Championship Wrestling, there is some interesting fantasy booking you could do. Main thing I can think of is the Disciple as permanent US or TV champion (they didn't have an IC belt anymore did they? What was the secondary title below World?). What else you think might could happen? Who gets sacked/buried, who gets elevated? 

RVD was lingering around the indies in 2001 before the dust settled and he realized WWE was the only place left to make money, so I could see him choosing WCW instead if that was still an option

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I was wondering about that claim in the doco

Cagematch has him wrestling in Canada for WWF in 1995, WCW in 1990 and WWF in 87 and 88.

Although it is sorta peculiar that Bam Bam was in the company for 3 years and only worked in Canada for a week in 1995. I could buy that a guy who served a stint in a Mexican jail would have problems getting into Canada

and maybe not always consistently since someone like Cornette was banned from Canada over his 1980s incidents after being allowed in during the 90s