DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NBA: SECOND HALF

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I know he was hurt a bunch, but was LeBron demonstrably worse this year? Or were the rest of the Lakers really that bad?

I mean, he’s still LeBron.

After the injury he was notably a step slower. Still really good, but not "best in the world" level on anything approaching a regular basis.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Could be. Could be the injury. Could be the absurd number of games and minutes he's played over the last decade and a half. Could be age. Could be all of it added together.

And add in the fact that this was his first year in the Western Conference, where he wasn't playing most of his games against trash. . . 

29 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

And add in the fact that this was his first year in the Western Conference, where he wasn't playing most of his games against trash. . . 

Can’t make that argument. It diminishes all of Giannis’s accomplishments this year. 

BTW I googled “Giannis game winner” and came up with 0 results. Apparently when it’s clutch time Bledsoe and Middleton take the shots.

Not even MVP on his own team!

I am legit stunned that they did it

I guess they figured all the attention would be towards Bryce Harper's return and they are trying to slide it in

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Congratulations to you, Rippa, on this joyous occasion.

As someone who lives to mock the Wiz - this is the worst thing that could have happened

24 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Congratulations to the Wizards for missing the playoffs and thus finally being able to dump the millstone around their necks.

I may or may not have got up and ran over to my coworkers desk to break the news to him.  We went to the market on the 1st floor for a celebratory snack.  The Wizards fans are excited.

Just now, supremebve said:

I may or may not have got up and ran over to my coworkers desk to break the news to him.  We went to the market on the 1st floor for a celebratory snack.  The Wizards fans are excited.

I still remember when Knicks fans got all jazzed about them firing Is*ah Th*mas because, in their opinion, all of their problems were solved. ?

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

I still remember when Knicks fans got all jazzed about them firing Is*ah Th*mas because, in their opinion, all of their problems were solved. ?

I'm not a Wizards fan, but they are the local team so I follow them.  I remember the day after the draft and me looking at this same coworker and asking, "Did you guys really decide to trade for Mike Miller and Randy Foye instead of drafting Steph Curry?"  We've been talking about Ernie Grunfield needing to be fired as long as we've known each other.  Steph Curry wasn't a sure thing, but his ceiling was higher than the combination of Mike Miller and Randy Foye.  

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I'm not a Wizards fan, but they are the local team so I follow them.  I remember the day after the draft and me looking at this same coworker and asking, "Did you guys really decide to trade for Mike Miller and Randy Foye instead of drafting Steph Curry?"  We've been talking about Ernie Grunfield needing to be fired as long as we've known each other.  Steph Curry wasn't a sure thing, but his ceiling was higher than the combination of Mike Miller and Randy Foye.  

Funnily - most Wizards fans to even make the leap to Curry since they go "Ricky Rubio was drafted with the pick we gave up"

I mean it is a hilariously bad trade for so many reasons

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So when does John Wall get healthy again?

Never

And I am not joking about that - he will never ever be the same player again

In terms of actual timeline - 2020 ASG is the optimistic timeline for him

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Funnily - most Wizards fans to even make the leap to Curry since they go "Ricky Rubio was drafted with the pick we gave up"

I mean it is a hilariously bad trade for so many reasons

That draft is pretty obvious proof that no one has any idea how to scout NBA players who aren't absolutely sure things.  That was also a really loaded draft.

1. Blake Griffin, this is a totally justifiable pick.  He was the surest thing and is going to end up in the hall of fame.
  2. Hasheem Thabeet, total bust
  3. James Harden, he's a top 5 player on Earth
  4. Tyreke Evans, been a decent pro
  5. Ricky Rubio, he's never going to be an all-star, but he's been a quality starter his entire career
  6. Jonny Flynn, he played 163 games over 3 years.  This is arguably the worst draft pick of all-time, they just picked a point guard the pick before.
  7. Steph Curry, top 5 player on Earth, and the only unanimous MVP ever
  8. Jordan Hill, decent role player for almost a decade
  9. DeMar DeRozan, perennial all-star
  10. Brandon Jennings, was a decent heat check guy until his achilles blew up

Jrue Holliday, Jeff Teague, and Taj Gibson were also 1st round picks that year.  

To be fair - if Rubio played in the East, he would have been an All Star

Also - and this is kinda scary - Hill might be the 3rd best draft pick the Knicks made this century

Speaking of Blake Griffin, btw,  he's done for the year.  Not that the Pistons were probably doing much in the playoffs, but they just became a much easier out for Philly or TO. 

I'd think 4th, since KP is clearly better, Lee had arguably a better career (even if it was as a garbage stat-padder), and Gallo is still an effective shooter.  Somehow Lee had the longest tenure at 5 years.  The others: all traded away for various bags of magic beans (only to see those traded for bags of magic rice grains).

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - if Rubio played in the East, he would have been an All Star

Also - and this is kinda scary - Hill might be the 3rd best draft pick the Knicks made this century

If he played on a team with quality wings, he'd have been an all-star.  Rubio has been a secretly good pro, and is an excellent defender.  Other than Jrue Holiday, he may be the best defensive point guard in the league.

7 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I'd think 4th, since KP is clearly better, Lee had arguably a better career (even if it was as a garbage stat-padder), and Gallo is still an effective shooter.  Somehow Lee had the longest tenure at 5 years.  The others: all traded away for various bags of magic beans (only to see those traded for bags of magic rice grains).

God the Knicks really did love to trade guys away after a max of two years.

In the "some stat lines don't mean shit anymore" department, OKC has 5 games left, leaving Westbrook 24 assists shy of averaging a triple-double for 3 years in a row.  Maybe the Lakers will just self-own and he'll get them all tonight.

In the "this is irrational and hilarious" department, Lawful somehow ranked Westbrook #7 on his Top Ten list a page or two ago (even though his season this year is statistically WAY worse than his "trash" MVP campaign by every advanced metric), apparently ahead of Giannis, noting that Giannis "can't shoot threes". 

Westbrook this year: 28.8% on 3s, while puking up FIVE AND A HALF OF THEM A GAME.  For further context: there are 183 "qualified" shooters for winning the 3-point% title.  Westbrook is #181, meaning literally no one in the league is worse at this anywhere near as often as he is.

Edited by Contentious C

6 hours ago, Contentious C said:

In the "some stat lines don't mean shit anymore" department, OKC has 5 games left, leaving Westbrook 24 assists shy of averaging a triple-double for 3 years in a row.  Maybe the Lakers will just self-own and he'll get them all tonight.

Damn near.