Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Smelly McUgly

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Recommended Posts

Went back to Injustice 2 after taking 18 months off.  Just kind of in a TMNT mood and it was easier than hooking up the PS3 and playing the lackluster Turtles in Time Re-Shelled.

 

there are a lot of things I love about this game, but the way the Turtles interact with the gear/loot system is NOT one of them.  My Turtles are now lv13, but Don still has the default lv1 bo because I've literally never seen one drop.  Meanwhile, Mikey is my least favorite to play as and I just trashed 4 sets of nunchaku.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, Whodathunkit said:

Question for anyone familiar with the BlazBlue series: Is there any reason to pick up all 4 of the main games (the C-line)?  It looks like they have different story modes?  So does one game pick up where the previous one left off?

I'm going to pick up at least one game in the series.  I'm fine with getting all four.  Just not sure there's any reason to.  I'm a little confused if they are four similar but different games, or if they're basically just expansions of the first game in the series (Calamity Trigger, iirc) similar to the various versions of Street Fighter IV.

Anyone want to clear this up?

Thanks..  

They add more characters / modes etc like usual fighting game expansions and mix up the mechanics a bit too.

Story-wise they pick up where the previous one left off, but be aware that the story is extensive. Leans into visual novel territory at times. I was intrigued by the story side when I played Calamity Trigger, but when I picked up the second in the series and saw that it takes four hours to 'play' through the canonical recap of Calamity Trigger's story as a prelude to the new one I was happy to skip to the final game.

The final game was described as the end of its 'arc', suggesting that if sales kept up they would've kept on going through to games eight / twelve and God help you if you were planning to keep up with all the novels / animes / VN tie-ins to get the full picture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luigi's Mansion 3 is so good, y'all. There are too many great games out right now. I can't just focus on one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Went back to Injustice 2 after taking 18 months off.  Just kind of in a TMNT mood and it was easier than hooking up the PS3 and playing the lackluster Turtles in Time Re-Shelled.

 

there are a lot of things I love about this game, but the way the Turtles interact with the gear/loot system is NOT one of them.  My Turtles are now lv13, but Don still has the default lv1 bo because I've literally never seen one drop.  Meanwhile, Mikey is my least favorite to play as and I just trashed 4 sets of nunchaku.

Was the opposite for me.  Mikey is my favorite, endless piles of shit for Donny and Raph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Salads said:

They add more characters / modes etc like usual fighting game expansions and mix up the mechanics a bit too.

Story-wise they pick up where the previous one left off, but be aware that the story is extensive. Leans into visual novel territory at times. I was intrigued by the story side when I played Calamity Trigger, but when I picked up the second in the series and saw that it takes four hours to 'play' through the canonical recap of Calamity Trigger's story as a prelude to the new one I was happy to skip to the final game.

The final game was described as the end of its 'arc', suggesting that if sales kept up they would've kept on going through to games eight / twelve and God help you if you were planning to keep up with all the novels / animes / VN tie-ins to get the full picture.

Thanks.  I'm going to pick up the four main games and the Cross-Tag Battle special edition that's dropping later this month.  Lol, no idea if I'll actually play them all, but.... Wiki says Central Fiction's story mode is 40-hrs. long.  That's crazy.  I can't imagine putting 100+ hours into a fighting game franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dark Souls 1 being a much easier piece of coding to rip apart than 2 or 3 is paying dividends years later. Obviously this is still a ways off really being much, but a toolset existing is in itself exciting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Luigi's Mansion 3 is so good, y'all. There are too many great games out right now. I can't just focus on one.

I'm offended by the amount of recent games that I've wanted to buy. After beating Three Houses I had to pick from Dragonquest XI S, Mario Maker 2, AI: The Somnium Files, Link's Awakening, Outer Worlds and waiting for Death Stranding and Shemue III (get at me, haters). Didn't consider Astral Chain since I haven't even started Bayo 2 and Pokemon might be cool but I have no time for all the bells and whistles and the core games tend to be too easy - doesn't mean I don't want to pick them up eventually. Then Luigi comes out and it's actually good. The nerve.

I went with Dragon Quest XI S, majorly in part to its excellent demo. I cannot recommend downloading it enough. The first twenty minutes of it are ho-hum but it picks up quick. The demo is LONG. You'll complete three or four dungeons, three-and-a-half towns, explore a lot of open-world and end up with a full party by the end of itThere were three moments that I assumed were completely logical endpoints but it just kept rolling along. You can easily sink ten hours into it without paying a dime. So if you've ever enjoyed something that could be described as a JRPG, go ahead and do that.

The full game is a treat. I intentionally held off picking up the PS4 version when it came out as a means of protesting the lack of the 2D mode and I'm very very glad I did, but the real difference maker is having the proper orchestral soundtrack. Every bit of music sounds so well composed. So professionally recorded. So racist. Not to say the 2D mode doesn't add a ton of extra value to a game that already provides a ridiculous amount of bang for your buck, it really does. The 2D mode is a lot more condensed, with a way-smaller world map + random encounters, much smaller towns and no extra dialogue that you can't just skip right past. All of that is dandy, but the 2D mode also has this really cool secret town where these little ghost dudes give you special areas based on every older Dragon Quest game, complete with old towns, monsters, characters and music. It doesn't need to be in the game, but it is, and it's wonderful. There's just so much stuff. So much content. I had a bad time finishing up the unending DQVII on 3DS and Dragon Quest Builders didn't do anything for me (just like the baffling success of Minecraft), I had some fun with DQM1 on GBC and Rocket Slime on DS in the last year, but damnit if I didn't forget just how phenomenal main-line DQ games can be. They're so joyous and uncynical, dauntlessly uncool and better for it. I appreciate work that can walk the fine line of camp or kitsch, but DQ walks the even finer line of corny without breaking a sweat. I wouldn't recommend putting "The Monsters Have Really Funny Names!" as a pull-quote on the box, but it's those charming little bits that keep me coming back. I don't think XI is going to top IX as my all-time favorite in the series but it may well usurp V from my #2 spot. Then again, I haven't even played VIII...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Audica is "Beat Saber but with guns instead of swords".  Whether this will appeal to you or not I can't say, but if you have VR gear and are on the bubble about it, I say go for it.  Harmonix are still the unsurpassed space deities of music games, it feels good to play and it's just generally fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Audica is "Beat Saber but with guns instead of swords".  Whether this will appeal to you or not I can't say, but if you have VR gear and are on the bubble about it, I say go for it.  Harmonix are still the unsurpassed space deities of music games, it feels good to play and it's just generally fun.

We haven't gotten PS VR yet but if we did there's now three games that we'd want to check out (Beat Saber and Rez being the other two)  I like the look of this compared to BS and like you said Harmonix is still putting out great stuff after all this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I didn’t expect to see this today:

Not gonna lie.  Now I want to ask Helen Mirren what she thinks of Policenauts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't think of a single game that has been more hyped, but I haven't had less of an interest in than Death Stranding.  It is kind of like when Kristin Stewart was getting casted in every third movie and dude's were going on and on about her being hot.  All I could think was, "maybe I'd find her more attractive if I was into drugs."  The problem is, I'm not into drugs so Death Stranding looks like a dude climbing a mountain with a baby in a jar on his back...and I don't want to climb a mountain with a baby in a jar on my back.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least for me Kristin Stewart's "catnip for bisexual ladies" period is much more interesting than her "teen starlet" period.

I've been giving Far Cry 5 another shot and it's way more fun playing on easy than on normal.  It went from being a kinda-boring slog to (with very little imagination) Murder The Klan Simulator.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Far Cry 5 and the followup New Dawn is fun also.

Make sure to try out the Arcade levels, there's some really good ones on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I can't think of a single game that has been more hyped, but I haven't had less of an interest in than Death Stranding.  It is kind of like when Kristin Stewart was getting casted in every third movie and dude's were going on and on about her being hot.  All I could think was, "maybe I'd find her more attractive if I was into drugs."  The problem is, I'm not into drugs so Death Stranding looks like a dude climbing a mountain with a baby in a jar on his back...and I don't want to climb a mountain with a baby in a jar on my back.  

I'm not at all convinced I will end up liking Death Stranding, but the reviews have me wanting to sink some hours into it and make up my own mind.  I want to own it even if I end up not liking it much because I generally like important games, experimental games, games as art, etc.  If nothing else, it's a fascinating experiment.  Sony gave Kojima way more creative freedom than anyone normally gets in this genre.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.  There are a lot of geniuses in music, tv, movie, games, etc. who need some sort of studio oversight to ensure that what they come up with will sell as well as be artistic.  Death Stranding looks like it treads a little too close to the "muddled mess that is probably a work of genius but no one wants to buy it" line.

There have been a lot of hyped triple AAA games that I've had absolutely no interest in.  It happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have no idea what to think of Death Stranding. The Giant Beastcast and now the Giant Bombcast have all spoken about the game at length and honestly, outside of Dan, I don't think many of them know what to think as well. The one overarching theme to everything I've heard though is that there is some cool shit you eventually get to do in Death Stranding, but once you get there it's very short and you're right back to boring ass fetch quests where you're delivering pizzas on their side and cases of Monster energy drinks.

The Giant Bomb dudes tend to love avant garde type shit, but I think this one has really thrown them for a loop. But again, Dan hates this game, so it very well might be the best game ever made.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

I'm not at all convinced I will end up liking Death Stranding, but the reviews have me wanting to sink some hours into it and make up my own mind.  I want to own it even if I end up not liking it much because I generally like important games, experimental games, games as art, etc.  If nothing else, it's a fascinating experiment.  Sony gave Kojima way more creative freedom than anyone normally gets in this genre.  I'm not sure that's a good thing.  There are a lot of geniuses in music, tv, movie, games, etc. who need some sort of studio oversight to ensure that what they come up with will sell as well as be artistic.  Death Stranding looks like it treads a little too close to the "muddled mess that is probably a work of genius but no one wants to buy it" line.

There have been a lot of hyped triple AAA games that I've had absolutely no interest in.  It happens

This is different than not being interested, this is me having no understanding in what other people are seeing.  I haven't seen anything that makes me think that this game is anything but Kojima slapping a bunch of weird shit together and calling it a game.  I think creativity matters, but only to the point where it's focused into something worthwhile.  This feels like creativity first, and videogame second, and I don't think you can make a quality game that way.  It's like Anthem, when EA went to their developers and said, "we want a big game with a bunch of innovative things in it," and they just started thinking of innovation and not of making a quality game. The reason things kind of break off into genres is because it gives things the structure they need to make sense.  You can create an action game, but innovate the fighting mechanics.  Or you can create a shooter, and put it in a unique setting instead of fighting on the ground you fight in a truly 3-dimensional area.  Use the tools that exist to build the house you want.  Don't try to invent new tools so you can build a house.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Giant Bomb dudes tend to love avant garde type shit, but I think this one has really thrown them for a loop. But again, Dan hates this game, so it very well might be the best game ever made.

I laughed so hard. 

Dan has WOAT taste and takes, truly, bless him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I laughed so hard. 

Dan has WOAT taste and takes, truly, bless him. 

It's hard for me to not like Dan because man, he's so out there. Like, him not thinking Metal Gear was political was just...yeah...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's hard for me to not like Dan because man, he's so out there. Like, him not thinking Metal Gear was political was just...yeah...

He just does not engage with a game at all beyond its mechanics and how much he likes said mechanics. I don't think I've ever listened to a critic in any medium whose critical eye is so narrowly opened. 

He's a good dude and all, but listening to him try to talk about, say, Best Story in GotY conversations is a total write-off. He just does not engage with games on that level at all. 

But also Kojima is sort of a hack, so he could actually be right about Death Stranding! The blind squirrel may have found an acorn this time around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I can't stand Dan is at GotY time because he typically makes very ignorant arguments and he, along with Abby, engages in the practice of trying to win arguments by being the loudest person. What felt like 2 hours of him going on about how RDR2 sucked (but somehow Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda to him) was agonizing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't follow these people, but I will say I've noticed there's two Venn Diagrams that just make a circle where people who thought BoTW was the best Zelda game think Ocarina of Time was basically the beginning of the post-Jesus calendar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of the GB folks engage in talking people into submission - I remember Brad pouting his way through a protracted discussion to get Destiny onto the top ten list - but I don't have a problem with Abby other than that she's sometimes really broad about why she thinks a game is good. 

I do think that these debates miss Ryan, who moved things along and would have killed some of the pout sessions of previous years, and Austin, who was fantastic for that one year he was there for the debate and actually critically argued a game onto the list via general eloquence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I don't follow these people, but I will say I've noticed there's two Venn Diagrams that just make a circle where people who thought BoTW was the best Zelda game think Ocarina of Time was basically the beginning of the post-Jesus calendar.

This is a way better way to start a calendar. I have read the New Testament. It ain't OoT.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the "Link's Awakening is the best TLoZ game," which actually has people on it, so I'm totally at a loss there.

I'm also not what you'd call a genuine Zelda fan, though? I like some Zelda games, but there's only one I love, and it just got a dope-ass remake, so I'm good with Zelda games right now. Don't even need BotW's sequel. Oh, I'll play it, but not because I feel a burning need to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is a way better way to start a calendar. I have read the New Testament. It ain't OoT.

This is actually fair, I accept this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...