DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I guess the point being that a LOT of indy guys are talented but bland?  Heck, Cole's even blander than your standard indy-wrestler blandness.

Cole isn't bland at all. You need to watch his PWG and CZW stuff. As well as his promos on Youtube. A genuinely silly statement.

Just don't get the big deal about Adam Cole.  Guy seems talented enough but he's just REALLY bland.

Wow do you even watching Indy wrestling?

To be honest, I'm not sure how much of the board really watches indy wrestling anymore.

Yeah, Cole's ROH thus far has been okay but his work in other indies is why some people are so high on him. He is a really good heel and has plenty of match-ups ready in ROH. Here are some good promos from him, he is probably one of the best indy guys for promos. 

TV Tapings were Saturday (DBD was Friday night, RoH is airing their iPPVs taped to avoid the problems that they were having, so yes, people who watched on GFL, they were having problems streaming a TAPED show).

TV Taping Spoilers:

Dark match: Kongo beats Dalton Castle via big splash

Ep 1

Adam Page def ACH after reversing a flying cross body from the top rope

Nigel announces 8 man tag match for Glory by Honor. 4 ROH champs vs 4 top contenders. If a champion gets pinned, whoever pins him gets a shot for his title. Jay Briscoe and Michael Elgin are going to be a part of the top contenders team. They had words with each other and had to be kept apart. It was said it seemed like Elgin was going heel.

Roderick Strong def Mike Mondo with a powerbomb

- Roderick cuts a promo putting over his accomplishments and ROH

Outlaw Inc (Homicide & Eddie Kingston) def Marshall Law (QT Marshall & RD Evans) when ‘Cide pins Marshall

- post match Homicide broke RD Evans fingers

- Kingston called out RedDragon but refs and Nigel forced them to the back.

Main event TV Title Match

ROH TV Champion Matt Taven def Jay Lethal with the Climax (DDT/Bulldog)

- Hoopla Hotties and Martini got ejected from ringside after Jay faked getting tripped by them 

Ep 2

Mark Briscoe def TD Thomas with Froggy ‘Bow

Ring of Honor Champion Adam Cole promo

Cole cut a promo but then ran when down came Jay and Elgin. Cole left the belt in the ring and Elgin and Briscoe fight over it. Refs break them up again. Cole left with the belt.

Mike Bennett & Maria Kanellis def Brutal Burgers (Bob Evans & Cheeseburger) after he hits an ace crusher on Cheeseburger

- Bennett cuts a promo taking credit for ending BJ Whitmer’s career

- Bennett goes to piledrive Cheeseburger but Kevin Steen makes the save.

- Kevin says he has a problem with Bennett because he has the best piledriver in the business. Maria slapped Kevin and then a fight broke out

Steve Corino made a run in and cut a promo stating he has a legit contract making him color commentator on ROH TV.

Main Event ROH Tag Team Championship triple threat one fall match

reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish) def Forever Hooligans (Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero) and C & C Wrestle Factory (Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander) when O’Reilly pins Kozlov with the brainbuster/kick to the head combo to retain

- Outlaw Inc run in after and steal the tag belts, run around ringside with them then give them back to ring crew.

Ring of Honor returns to Philly on February 22, 2014 for the 12th Anniversary Show.

Ep 3

Jimmy Jacobs def Silas Young (very short match)

- Before the match, Young cut a promo running down the fans and Jimmy Jacob fans. He stated that Jimmy used BJ to get his job back.

Davey Richards def Ricky Marvin via brain buster

Veda Scott came to ringside and served papers to Nigel Mcguinness

Steen came to the ring for the main event against Eddie Edwards but Mike Bennett attacked and hit him with the piledriver. Steen is injured. Steen demanded that the match continue.

Eddie Edwards def Kevin Steen when he reversed a package piledriver into a small package

- Post match Bennett came back to attack Kevin. Steen hits a piledriver on Bennett. Then helps Eddie Edwards hit a piledriver on Bennett. Steen put over Edwards to end the show

I like how they put over how dangerous piledrivers are...and then promptly use three of them on that last taped episode. Including one from a guy that's not even involved in the piledriver feud. It reminds me of the WCW Saturn/Glacier/Chris Adams superkick feud.

(Actually...I don't like the overuse of piledrivers at all. wtf...)

• Like 1

Man, I think Elgin has come a long way and he is really getting to a very high level. The only thing he needs to get better at, imo, is starting to listening more to the crowd reaction, it always seems to me that he has this "5 stars match" in his head before every match and than executes it blow by blow despite how the crowd is or isn't reacting (ofcourse, this is way easier said than done).

BUT the crossface just has to go. It is not that I think it is offensive or anything, but every time he does it is like Benoit's ghost just takes over the ring and distracts the crowd from the actual match.

I've seen Cena using it too and I thought it was the same thing. I don't think the crowd gets offended about it, but it distracts from the match.

I think that Manhatten Mayhem, when the crowd actually started to chant "Chris Benoit! Chris Benoit!" was a good cue to stop using the move, but then I watch DBD and I get Elgin using it as the finisher for his semi final match...

Speaking of the DBD, nothing show really. The Main Event was pretty good and after that my favorite match was the 8 men. 

Elgin vs. Steen was HIGHLY entertaining.  God Bless, Tommaso Ciampa for being a human pinball.

I thought Elgin vs Steen went totally out of trail after a cool start. They just ended up doing robotic turns of moves to no reaction (also, it was a terrible crowd at DBD that in first 3 or 4 matches had little to no reaction to the action but would randomly start "this is awesome" chants).

I liked the Cole vs Ciampa a bit better, but I still don't think Ciampa is going anywhere. He can even have good matches with good opponents but he is still so clumsy in most of what he does that I would rather not see him again. I mean, he is not BJ Whitmer bad tho, not even close... I guess he can eventually get good.

The match in itself was pretty good when they went for the heat, which felt like it was passed midway of the match but I wasn't so into the all out start of the match with spots on the floor etc. Sami Calliham really overdone those frenetic match starters, other matches in ROH and PWG also have it and it becomes too robotic and fake with no character development that makes you want to cheer for one or the other guy. Worst, there's no way to follow that kind of start so even if the crowd gets into it they than fall asleep for the rest of the match until it's time to go home and they start chanting "this is awesome".

It's kinda like when two tag teams are brawling wildly and throwing chairs but then randomly they start tagging like it's a regular tag team. Total momentum breaker.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching this week's TV show, two thoughts:

1. Really impressed by Adam Cole's verbal ability as a heel. Far more than I ever remember liking his babyface promos. How was his CZW character with Mia Yim?

2. Maria Kanellis has got to be the perfect creature on Earth.

• Like 2

1. Really impressed by Adam Cole's verbal ability as a heel. Far more than I ever remember liking his babyface promos. How was his CZW character with Mia Yim?

They made out in the ring Bennett and Maria style and Adam had a poster saying "Best of the Best" and the CZW Jr. Heavyweight Title was one of the best titles of the time with Adam Cole, Sami Calliham, AR Fox and Rich Swann going for it while Devon fuckin' Moore was the CZW Heavyweight champion.

I realize your second point is grammatically correct, but apparently I'm so used to people misusing perfect that it reads awkwardly.

I realize your second point is grammatically correct, but apparently I'm so used to people misusing perfect that it reads awkwardly.

Ditto. I'm so used to reading "most perfect" here, even though the "most" is unnecesssary.

• Like 1

Adam Cole is going to make for an interesting heel champ.  Why is Elgin turning into the Sting of ROH?  Always a contender and yet to be a champ?  I love Southern booking, but if Elgin is going to be that loyal, let the guy hold the belt for sixty days.

I'm climbing on the Cole bandwagon as well. It's amazing that it looked like (to me anyway) that he was going to be the Marty Jannetty of Future Shock when they broke up and O'Reilly got to work with and against Davey while Cole was just...there.

I love his new theme and hopefully someone will post it online soon.