DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Albright had one title match against Morishima that I thought was just terrific. Absolutely in a different class to anything else I've seen from him. Morishima had been falling into a fairly predictable match structure at the time, and the story was the Albright was the one who made him change it. August 2007, I think.

That match, and the match against Claudio from the next night, are both really great. Really good story telling from Gabe as well, as a few shows before, Morishima collapsed backstage after beating someone, and there were all these newswire items about how he could over power the smaller guys, but his body was breaking down from all the travel and constant defenses of the title. The next week they announced both his Death Before Dishonor opponents, and they were the two dudes on the roster who were as big as him, and there was a real "Oh shit" feeling about the whole thing. 

ROH in 2007 had a very strong year in the ring.  A majority of the shows had several good to great matches.  It wasn't as captivating as Danielson's title run or the CZW angle but the matches were still as good as ever.  If I remember correctly ROH after the CZW angle was "hit or miss" to the majority of the crowd.  

I haven't seen more than five or six shows from the latter half of 2006 ROH and missed all of evil Cornette and the Corino stuff.  What people forget about the faction warfare period in ROH is that it wasn't really the focus of the company.  For one reason (Aries held hostage in TNA) or another (Evans being in Dragon Gate) the factions weren't really that much of a factor outside of one match or two.  It was really handled poorly by Gabe and probably shouldn't have been booked as a four stable feud if major players weren't going to be available.  

ROH in 2008 was also very good.  It suffered from the same things that every Gabe promotion suffers from but the quality was there every show more often than not.  Gabe just runs too many rematches with his booking style.  2009 is when the quality of the shows really dropped off.  There were several shows where nothing noteworthy happened at all.  Most years in ROH prior to 2009 (and then again in 2010-2011) the number of memorable matches would be hard to narrow down to a Top 10.  In 2009 I found it hard to make a Top 5 list of matches that I really enjoyed and would consider watching again.  It picked up during the last quarter of the year.  Starting with the Danielson/McGuinness farewell tours the last few months were leaps and bounds packed with more quality than the entire first nine months of the year.

Of course 2009 was also the start of the Davey Richards push that a lot of people have hated over the last four years.  If you don't like the guy getting more ring time than everyone else it will be hard to enjoy th rest of the show.

I agree that the Faction angle wasn't that good,and there were other stupid things that went on, but 2007 was a good year for ROH overall. I was really into Nigel chasing Morishima for the title, the Joe farewell tour, Sweet and Sour Inc. and the Danielson/Morishima feud. The Steen and Generico/Briscoes feud was great  too(although they should have won the titles at Manhattan Mayhem II). Age of The Fall started out really strong and their title win at Finale Battle 2007 was a big moment. Misawa coming in for a weekend was cool as well. KENTA vs Misawa in NYC was nowhere near as big as Joe vs Kobashi, but I was into it. I used to go to every NYC and NJ show, but I started losing interest in 2008 with Death Before Dishonor VI being the last show I attended (and I went without following the storylines) until the farewell Danielson vs McGuiness match a year later. Since then, I've been to about 3 or 4 ROH shows (last one being Final Battle 2011) but it's just not the same anymore. After Dragon and Nigel left, the only guys I really liked were Generico and KOW. I try to still catch the big shows though, but it's never a priority.

As for Brent Albright, people already mentioned his two fantastic main event matches against Morishima, but he also had that solid "All tables are legal" match with Whitmer. But yeah, other than that, his run wasn't too great. I like several Elgin matches but I'm not as high on him as a lot of the current wave of ROH fans are.

Elgin had a ton of momentum following his title match VS Davey and was getting over when they started a "Batista gets tired of HHH's shit" type angle with him & Strong, then he dropped two title matches VS Steen and the first match to Strong, so he's been cooled off quite a bit.

Which probably means he wins the title in a couple weeks.

Everyone is also forgetting Albright's NWA title matches with Pearce in ROH. Both were really good.

I'll give you that, they were both kinda "miracle matches" if you will. I was there live for the Morishima match, and yeah it was good, but so was just about every match Morishima had in ROH aside from winning the title from Homicide. Albright had a good match against Danielson too, which once again means just about nothing. But yeah, those Pearce matches were one of the few times where both guys clicked and looked like naturals in the ring. And I mean neither match was great, but they were both well above average especially considering the participants.

Elgin has done an outstanding job taking over Claudio's role as the best base on the indies.  People need to see his matches with Ricochet, ACH and AR Fox to see how good he is at working the flippy guys.  Wish Elgin would have had a chance to work Samuray Del Sol (Maybe he did somewhere in the Midwest?) because then we would have been able to see Elgin against the Top 4 U.S. indy high flyers. 

-Taven-Fury was kinda lousy in a TNAish-way with too much focus on stuff going on outside the ring that detracts from the goings-on inside the ring.  It probably would have made way more sense if you had Kongo win the match last week and take on Taven this week and have Taven just not able to hit most of his moves on him because he's too big, leading to the extra interference and shenanigans.

-ACH-Anderson was a lot of fun.  That one dive ACH hit was nuts.  I liked him a lot more this week with Anderson as the better base for him.  Nigel's commentary is just dreadful, at times, though, like when he said that Anderson allowed ACH to get back into the ring because he wrestles in Japan and is used to longer matches which tells the crowd "Hey, if you want good long matches, you're watching the wrong show" and basically telling the viewer "This will be over pretty quickly."

-Brisco-Cole was fine though I wasn't terribly invested in the match until the concussion/bad sportsmanship angle at the end.

I reviewed ROH TV 8/31/13 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/ring-of-honor-tv-8312013-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: The show was decent to good. All of the matches were at least okay and ACH/Anderson was one of Karl Anderson's best performances yet.

Some shots from the show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm just imagining that Jay Briscoe was sitting in his house/apartment/trailer on a Monday night, getting ready to drive up from Delaware to Stamford, CT on Tuesday and make an unannounced "cold call" at Titan Towers and try to get hired, and he turns on RAW and sees the Wyatt family make their debut, and he realizes that if he ever did get hired by WWE it would be for a gimmick like the Wyatts, and just starts weeping uncontrollably as his wife and children stare at him in confusion.

Briscoes as Wyatts would be great.

All joking aside, Daniel Bryan did an interview last month where he talked about reaching a point where an indy wrestler has to choose between staying on the indy scene and controlling his gimmick and wrestling style...and living in near-poverty, and joining WWE and embracing their "sports entertainment" style and making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.  Fandango said something similar recently, where you have to embrace the idea of doing a wacky gimmick in order to survive in WWE.

Mark and Jay, if they ever were to go to WWE, would have to accept the fact that their ROH days were behind them and they could very well end up in some sort of bizarre gimmick where they're incestuous hillbilly brothers or they could play the nephews of Luke and Butch and be packaged as "Bushwhackers 2K1."

Though in reality they'd probably debut and immediately be told "you don't know how to work" and then be squashed dead by Ryback in a handicap match and fired the very next day, then they'd come back to ROH with their "aura" gone.