DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

17 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Man, Lee Scott, now that's a guy who was born 20 years too early. He would probably be one of the biggest draws in today's modern indy scene if he came around now.

He could feud with Barry Houston.

jqNOjW.gif

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 9:33 PM, PeteF3 said:

As I tried to explain in that WC thread from way back only for it to amount to talking to a bunch of brick walls (except for Tabe), TM/DK got shat on by people who were watching it direct comparison to what else was going on in New Japan in the early 1980's, not in comparison to an ROH spotfest from 2006. People who remember the New Japan '80s balloting, voting, and discussion remember that a hell of a lot of people watching the matches IN CONTEXT were shitting on them, too.

The worst TM-DK match is better than the best Takada-Koshinaka match from later on in the set, but both guys have giant, glaring flaws in their game, Sayama moreso than Dynamite.

IIRC, (and forgive me, it's been years and I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone what I wrote over three decades ago, but I seem to recall not exactly shitting on TM/DK, but saying something along the lines of "DK had his hands full trying to rein in TM's desire to act like a cartoon character in real life. A lot of the stuff he did was very impressive athletically, but did nothing to further the story of the match. I really expected better.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:46 AM, Technico Support said:

All I know is I was trying to watch Will Ospreay vs Liger in NJPW, when Osprey missed a flippy-doo and landed of his feet, then started selling like he'd blown his knee out. 

Then he did a Sasuke Special less than a minute later. 

Liger's a legend and Ospreay is apparently getting more credit nowadays, but that' just shit.  This is all apropos of nothing except to say that I guess we all have our lines where we say "yeah, this is good wrestling and this isn't."  And those lines are flexible.

Will isn't nearly as offensive as he was a year ago, so that's something. He really needs to spend like six months getting stretched by Zack Sabre jr. in order to learn what wrestling is all about. The dude is a tremendous performer, I'll give him that, but all too often he slips into the obvious performance mode and forgets that what he's supposed to be doing is simulated combat. Watch the difference in Tanahashi's recent matches selling the torn bicep as compared to these guys forgetting a "devastating injury" two minutes after the fact. That's the difference between a wrestling god and some guy that's eating up my valuable TV time.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:46 AM, Goodear said:

NyS5naZ.gif

This was such a strange match. You had Scott and Rotunda trying to have some semblance of a normal match while Rick was headbutting Sullivan in the nuts 20 times in a row. It reminded me of a match that had Funk/Arn vs. Sabu/Eaton where Arn and Eaton are working  a normal match while Funk and Sabu are swinging chairs and moonsaulting into tables.