DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

YAY, MLB and NPB agreed on a new posting system where there is a $20 million cap to get you a seat at the table, but only the team that signs the player will need to pay the $20 million. Sounds good to me.

Hey, at least we open up a spot to move Braun to right field and then put a guy who did okay at the end of the season in left. All we had to do was trade away a proven player and good outfielder for a guy who knowing the Brewers won't even make the team. That makes total sense. So, of course Braun will fail a drug test again and Khris Davis will end up sucking.

Granderson to the Mets seems to be closer to happening.  Someone's leaked he wants 4/64 which of course the Mets are low-balling him on. 

AND SPEAKING OF LOW BALLING....

Miami signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia.  3/21.   He should be traded to a contender by mid-August. 

I was skeptical about him coming here, but I think this could actually happen. No way the Yankees give him what he wants with how much Ellsbury/McCann are getting and the Mariners are so offensively starved and desperate that they will probably outbid anybody else. Unless he just flat doesn't want to play in Safeco Field I think the Ms might have a legit chance. A 10 year deal though. Oof. Not a fan of 10 year deals.

Don't really have a choice at this point. It's going to be ugly at the end of it no matter what the money ends up being.

Brian Wilson's deal with the Dodgers is (are you ready for THIS shit?) $10 million for one year with a $9 million player option for 2015. There's incentives too. LA's already over the luxury tax and they still have to go to arb with Kershaw, Ellis, and Jansen.

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Cano asked the Ms for the 10 year/$240 million deal but the Ms offer isnt for more than $200

So clearly Cano/Jay-Z is just going to the highest bidder

Yeah, and that seems like a dangerous way to represent yourself. Making it pretty obvious you're all about the money could make a lot of teams doubt that you'll play your hardest once they give you that guaranteed contract.