DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

The elephant in the room here? The Angels and Dodgers just got new TV deals, whereas the Yankees and Red Sox have had their own massive deals and partial ownership of their RSNs for years. That helps explain the recent spikes for the LA teams.

The Yankees are actually in...a not awful spot in the future. Beltrran's deal is only three years. By the time that's up after 2016, their only commitments will be McCann, Ellsbury, A-Rod (whatever ends up happening there) and a buyout on Sabathia, assuming his option doesn't vest.

Then again, their farm system is still...not good, and they have no one on the roster worth throwing nine figures at...so there's that.

I think if anyone here is familiar with the Yanks spending habits since the 70s ii is me.

Sure I would love Kershaw over fat CC. I think it is just lazy to just throw out the Yanks as the example of evil overspending. It would be like if one still used the Red Sox as example for "long suffering fan base" (or Boston in general).

I am just not a fan of paying anyone $30 million a year... especially a pitcher. I think the only one I would consider it for is Mike Trout and that is still a big if.

All of the Dodgers pitchers are great and young but to assume that of those deals won't blow up in their face is folly. (At the very least - one of the arms will explode.)

Ed probably described it best "Either the Dodgers are going to get fucked in 5 years because Kershaw will opt out or the Dodgers will be fucked because they will be dragging a terrible contract for 3 or 4 years"

Sooooo, I'm not sure what exactly happened over the last 72 hours, but it now appears the Cubs have the inside track on Tanaka. With the Cubs convention starting tomorrow, and that being an event where big or relevant signings are showcased, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tanaka on a jet to Chicago.

Sooooo, I'm not sure what exactly happened over the last 72 hours, but it now appears the Cubs have the inside track on Tanaka. With the Cubs convention starting tomorrow, and that being an event where big or relevant signings are showcased, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tanaka on a jet to Chicago.

Are there usually connecting flights from Chicago to LA?

On a more serious note though, I've seen a lot of reporters and insider type people kicking up a lot of dust about Tanaka and the Cubs. I think it's all being done to get my hopes up, but I'm STILL not sure I want him. Joe or Rippa can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's not even a legit TOR pitcher. I've seen him projected as a 2 or 3 pitcher, so is a pitcher who is, for the sake of a comparison, possibly as good as Kuroda in the majors worth that much money? I still think I would rather have the Cubs go after Jimenez, or even bring Maholm back on board. I've never been really keen on having a TOR or ace pitcher and am content with a pitching staff full of 3 pitchers. A rotation of Wood, Shark, Jimenez, Jackson, and Arrieta/Rusin is pretty damn good. Take the money they save from not signing Tanaka and work on a trade for a big bat, and use that money to extend them if everything works out.

I think Theo understands that TANG (there are no guarantees) when it comes to baseball and anyone can get hurt. That possibility can't preclude you from signing player A or player B. The Cubs have the money to get this done and they're going to have even more money over the next two seasons.

Pitching isn't what the Cubs need most though, they need run producers and guys who can get on base. They Castro to bounce back and they need Barney as far away from swinging a bat as possible. I can't imagine how destructive that lineup could get if Castro and Rizzo could get some protection in the lineup.

On a more serious note though, I've seen a lot of reporters and insider type people kicking up a lot of dust about Tanaka and the Cubs. I think it's all being done to get my hopes up, but I'm STILL not sure I want him. Joe or Rippa can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's not even a legit TOR pitcher. I've seen him projected as a 2 or 3 pitcher, so is a pitcher who is, for the sake of a comparison, possibly as good as Kuroda in the majors worth that much money? I still think I would rather have the Cubs go after Jimenez, or even bring Maholm back on board. I've never been really keen on having a TOR or ace pitcher and am content with a pitching staff full of 3 pitchers. A rotation of Wood, Shark, Jimenez, Jackson, and Arrieta/Rusin is pretty damn good. Take the money they save from not signing Tanaka and work on a trade for a big bat, and use that money to extend them if everything works out.

From what I've seen, the stat-nerds and scouts are mixed on Tanaka.  Most don't think he is as good as Darvish - more of a 3rd guy in the rotation sorta pitcher.  And some teams/scouts/analysts are scared of the workload the last couple of years and that 160 pitch outing.  Best case scenario, from what I've seen is that he is Dice-K without all the walks.

That's still a good pitcher.  But I would not love my team going in on a long-term deal at $22 million/year.  But hey, it's just money.  Right?

Kuroda is a better comparison than Darvish from what I've been reading - but remember, you're also betting on age. You don't really get many opportunities to bid on a 25-year old SP on the free agent market - which is why Kershaw got paid the way he did (though he's admittedly a much, much better pitcher than Tanaka).

I actually think Chicago is a much better situation for him than either of the LA clubs or the Yankees - he won't be expected to immediately lead the team to a pennant like in other situations.

I actually think Chicago is a much better situation for him than either of the LA clubs or the Yankees - he won't be expected to immediately lead the team to a pennant like in other situations.

Aww.  Like ANYONE would expect anyone other than Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha and Flying Spaghetti Monster to lead the Cubs to the pennant.

Aww.  Like ANYONE would expect anyone other than Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha and Flying Spaghetti Monster to lead the Cubs to the pennant.

Well, as we learned from Major League, Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball. . . 

• Like 3

I'm not sure that would happen with an entire pantheon making up the roster at this rate.

Well, given that all of them but Flying Spaghetti Monster have a vow of poverty, the Cubs would be under the payroll threshold easily.

And given their collective ages, they would just barely be a younger team than the Yankees.

• Like 1

What happened to Dice-K? He was 'ok' as a rookie I guess..  had a great 2008 and then immediately fell off. Was it injuries? I don't remember the details.

He was fine in 07 and 08. In 09, he hurt his groin in the WBC and didn't tell anyone about it before straining his shoulder and missing half the year with that. In 10, he had a lot of nagging injuries. In 11, he blew out his elbow, probably related to some of those nagging injuries. In 12, he still wasn't all the way back from his TJ and was awful.

All in all, Boston paid nearly $105 million over six years for 668 1/3 innings of 4.52 ERA ball and 10.4 fWAR. $10 million per win is...not exactly ideal, to say the least. It's not exactly Vernon Wells territory, but yeah....

• Like 1

I'm not sure that would happen with an entire pantheon making up the roster at this rate.

Well, given that all of them but Flying Spaghetti Monster have a vow of poverty, the Cubs would be under the payroll threshold easily.

And given their collective ages, they would just barely be a younger team than the Yankees.

I hate you

I hate you

And here comes my new ban.

Oh and hey, Hideo Nomo and Kaz Sasaki are HOFer's now.  Well, Japanese HOFers.  But still.

Here's what bothers me about the Cubs.

Their farm system is awesome. Yet, it's *very* hitter-heavy. Most lists only have three pitchers in their top ten prospects - and one is a probable reliever that hasn't pitched in two years. You can salivate over Baez and Bryant and Almora all you want, but they're not going to be joined by guys like Appel, McCullers, and so on right away. Tanaka is young enough to still be a potential impact guy when their young bats are breaking in, unlike say, Edwin Jackson.