DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I may be in the minority but I think the werewolf in The Howling is closer to what the creature should be while the beast in American Werewolf In London is just a big ass dog that has been injecting Bane serum caliber steroids. Of course, that doesn't mean the effects from The Howling are on par with American Werewolf In London. Nonetheless I still dig the transformation from The Howling. Bladder effects get a bum rap.

In defense of American Werewolf, the producers of the movie wanted a monster more in line with the traditional legends where the creatures walked on all fours.

The bipedal werewolf is arguably a product of Hollywood but you cannot knock the effect that movies like The Wolf Man and Curse of the Werewolf have had on lycanthrope lore.

I generally don’t like any werewolf that isn’t bipedal. I prefer them to look more humanoid than like giant wolves. This reminded me that I watched the Monster Squad as a little kid constantly and never batted an eye at Stan Winston’s Wolfman, but when I saw that one episode of Highway to Heaven that’s a nod to I Was a Teenage Werewolf, the Michael Landon-wolf scared the shit out of me. 

Man, I saw the ad for that episode as a kid but never saw it. However I did have I Was A Teenage Werewolf on VHS then (still do) and I watched it like a zillion times. Probably more than Monster Squad just because I owned it. 

Silver Bullet was a favorite of my friend, who was either in a leg cast or on crutches/in a chair until middle school, for obvious reasons (he was also a total gearhead so THE Silver Bullet was a double attraction. He was also a big Maximum Overdrive fan). I still watch it every time it's on TV. Gary Busey, motherfuckers

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Silver Bullet was a favorite of my friend, who was either in a leg cast or on crutches/in a chair until middle school, for obvious reasons (he was also a total gearhead so THE Silver Bullet was a double attraction.

Silver Bullet was the best and worst werewolf movie around. 

Spoiler

The transformation scenes were fucking great, especially when they showed blood pouring out of the priest's eye socket as he turned into a wolf.

Then the wolf man did dumb things... like sprouting fangs and claws... and then killing a cop with a baseball bat..  WHAT~??

On 7/21/2018 at 3:08 PM, J.T. said:

Well, the sequel to Unfriended snuck quietly into theaters on Friday.  I haven't even seen any trailers on television.

It is supposed to be insanely good. As in, it got 3 1/2 * from both Roger Ebert and the local paper AND Daily Grindhouse.

It's also a film they, in all reviews, say not to watch the trailer for. So, don't

My 15 year old daughter who LOVES horror movies wants to go see it, so I think we may take in a matinee on Tuesday.

This either makes me the best dad ever or the worst father alive.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:36 PM, Curt McGirt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Forgot to put it on the list but I got a real Monster feel from My Friend Dahmer, too. 

A Quiet Place was watched last night and unfortunately I mentally checked out when 

Reveal hidden contents

the wife was seen to be pregnant. I understand the whole "repopulate the earth" idea, plus their guilt over the other kid dying, but bringing a child to birth in an environment dictated by silence struck me as completely stupid. They could have cut that entire subplot out and the film would have worked as well. As it is, a good film but that was a pretty big mark against it for me. 

Same here re: Quiet Place.  Just like "hey, a robot and a human had a baby" conceit of the last Blade Runner film, it's one of those creative choices that absolutely kills the movie.

Not sure if it has been on recently, but it was on the front page of the TCM app, so I watched A Bucket of Blood, which is a Corman picture starring Dick Miller as a beatnik Schlub who becomes a famous sculptor by killing his subjects and encasing them in clay. "Black comedy" technically so maybe not horror. Apparently its sets were used again for Little Shop of Horrors. 

Also on the front page is The Night Visitor. 

On 7/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

My feed on the Fire Stick tried to crap out a few times. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones because I eventually got the channel to load in time to catch every one of Joe Bob's intros. Every episode of the Last Drive-In was posted as content by 3 AM. I missed the best stretch of the live marathon which was from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, when Basket Case, Re-Animator and Demons were all shown back to back. Then after Boggy Creek, things closed strongly with Hellraiser and Pieces.

At least I got something fresh for next weekend to booze it up to. Of course, I own all those movies on DVD and Blu-Ray besides the fact that Pluto shows Hellraiser fifty times a month. For that matter, Pluto's horror channel kicks the shit out of any premium horror channel for the simple fact that on any given day you can flip it on and see Hellraiser or Return of the Living Dead.  I never bothered watching Monster Vision on TNT because horror movies chopped and censored to bits on basic cable is worthless therefore I never caught any of Joe Bob's segments. I'm really looking forward to watching the episode featuring Re-Animator.

I never realized that the other hot girl in Tourist Trap was actually the daughter in Death Wish II. Death at the hands of dummies was a thousand times more dignified than what happened to her in that one.  It was also fun to hear Joe Bob recount how his positive newspaper review of Pieces drew the ire of feminist and conservative groups alike and played a huge role in it gaining its notorious notoriety. Joe Bob even branched out a few times taking the piss out of the whole anthem debate nonsense (with Colin Kaepernick getting more mentions than any horror director, star or monster) as well as plenty of potshots at the dictator in chief.

I didn't like the whole line-up but I guess that's Shudder's fault for having the rights to shit like Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama babes instead of Chopping Mall.  I would've also rather heard about the inner workings of Twins of Evil or Vampire Circus instead of some random Euro lesbian vampire movie. Again, that's a content issue where they need to add some of the sleazier and weirder Hammer films. Beyond the Darkness just  recently got taken off of Shudder's content or else I would've loved for Joe Bob to have the balls (forcing his audience to have the stomachs) to endure that. Maybe the outpouring of support (not to mention the way Shudder botched this) means Joe Bob can muster up one last drive-in around Halloween.

You bite your tongue, Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-a-Rama is a great film!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, J.T. said:

Silver Bullet was the best and worst werewolf movie around. 

Hide contents

The transformation scenes were fucking great, especially when they showed blood pouring out of the priest's eye socket as he turned into a wolf.

Then the wolf man did dumb things... like sprouting fangs and claws... and then killing a cop with a baseball bat..  WHAT~??

I wonder if this is where Monster Squad got the "Dynamite is the primary attack option for the Prince of Darkness" thing from.

"Meeting adjourned"...

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

You bite your tongue, Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowl-a-Rama is a great film!

I will not have the good names of Linnea Quigley and Brinke Stevens sullied in this thread.

• Thanks 1