DVDVR Message Board

The LaVar Ball Memorial Off-Court Thread

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Memphis's Jamirah Shutes has been charged with assault after slugging a Bowling Green player in the handshake line after their WNIT game. 

The assault charges are most likely because this was Shutes' final game, as she's a fifth-year senior with no remaining eligibility.

• 3 weeks later...

5* recruit Mikey Williams (a Memphis commit) has been arrested in California on 5 counts of assault with a deadly weapon (firearm).  

Each count can land him in jail for 6 months. 😬

NBA has suspended Miles Bridges for the first thirty games next year, assuming someone signs him.

(Technically it's a 50 game suspension but they are crediting him with 20 games served because he didn't play this season. Exactly how they determined that number I do not know.)

Edit: I misunderstood. It's only thirty games total, so he's only suspended the first ten next year if he's signed.

Edited by Brian Fowler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well looks like Ja Morant is back on his dumb shit with guns and Instagram 

The Grizzlies has suspended him from all team activities. Which is easy to do in May, since there are no team activities. . . . .

4 hours ago, Log said:

It seems pretty easy to not make Instagram videos where you have a gun. He should do that.

I dunno man. I tried that last week and still ended up with 13 videos with guns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It is stunning to me how many are on the "I don't see what the big deal is.  He is allowed to have these in his state.  He isn't breaking any laws".   Some even from people that are desperately punching themselves to having to support a black guy packing heat just because.   Seriously I don't know many jobs where you can just flash your guns in public places like they are toys and the boss think it is cool.  Especially when you were told to stop it.  

I am sure Jalen Rose is already got a puff piece interview set up. 

28 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It is stunning to me how many are on the "I don't see what the big deal is.  He is allowed to have these in his state.  He isn't breaking any laws".   Some even from people that are desperately punching themselves to having to support a black guy packing heat just because.   Seriously I don't know many jobs where you can just flash your guns in public places like they are toys and the boss think it is cool.  Especially when you were told to stop it.  

To show you how little some people understand laws and employment (probably people that have never had a steady paycheck), I've seen some people online say in essence "its illegal for a job to punish you for something you did outside of the workplace" uh what.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yeah, they're also just ignoring the obvious gun safety issues in the video, like pointing it at his own head. 

• 2 weeks later...

The NBA is investigating whether referee Eric Lewis had a burner Twitter account. Besides replying only to mentions of Lewis, the account followed just five other accounts - four covering NBA officiating and the George Mason women's team, whose coach is tyre wife of Lewis. 

On 5/24/2023 at 5:19 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, the Ja Morant story just went rocketing to oh shit...

The NBA's investigation into Ja Morant's actions is complete.   They're not going to announce the findings until after the Finals end.  

...but holy shit it sure sounds from the leaks that he is in a metric fuckton of trouble. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

...but holy shit it sure sounds from the leaks that he is in a metric fuckton of trouble. 

Rumor is that they found proof it was a gun pointed at the Pacers not a laser pointer. 

Amongst all the other more serious issues, he's almost certainly going to be suspended for enough games he won't be eligible for All-NBA and thus he won't be eligible for the designated supermax whatever extension so this is likely also costing him tens of millions of dollars.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Amongst all the other more serious issues, he's almost certainly going to be suspended for enough games he won't be eligible for All-NBA and thus he won't be eligible for the designated supermax whatever extension so this is likely also costing him tens of millions of dollars.

If they have proof of a gun... well then I think you're never going to see him again in professional basketball on this continent. 

• Like 2

This is not where you'd come to usually for Conor McGregor news, but the Miami Heat and the police are investigating an allegation that Conor McGregor sexually assaulted (or raped) a woman in the Kaseya Center during Game 4 of the NBA Finals.   (The same game he KO'ed and hospitalized the mascot.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is not where you'd come to usually for Conor McGregor news, but the Miami Heat and the police are investigating an allegation that Conor McGregor sexually assaulted (or raped) a woman in the Kaseya Center during Game 4 of the NBA Finals.   (The same game he KO'ed and hospitalized the mascot.)

ESPN says that the woman is accusing the Heat and NBA of assisting McGregor by separating her from her friend and forcing her into the bathroom where the alleged assault occurred. I'm more than a little skeptical of that claim.