DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK THIRTEEN

RIPPA

Honestly I kind of agree with you, just not about the Romo situation being the same. I wouldn't give a shit if Eli was benched for the rookie the remainder of the season. To me that makes sense. It's a dead season give the rookie some run. Eli's out the door anyway. They even told him they were going to let him start and probably play the others if the games got away and he didn't like it. They tried to meet him half way on this streak deal. But he knew that just like all of his other accomplishments no one was going to take it seriously if it went like that and so McAdoo said fuck it and went all in. To me all of this makes sense.

However it all makes sense until Geno Smith was named the starter. Then it's dumb as hell.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Honestly I kind of agree with you, just not about the Romo situation being the same. I wouldn't give a shit if Eli was benched for the rookie the remainder of the season. To me that makes sense. It's a dead season give the rookie some run. Eli's out the door anyway. They even told him they were going to let him start and probably play the others if the games got away and he didn't like it. They tried to meet him half way on this streak deal. But he knew that just like all of his other accomplishments no one was going to take it seriously if it went like that and so McAdoo said fuck it and went all in. To me all of this makes sense.

However it all makes sense until Geno Smith was named the starter. Then it's dumb as hell.

It makes sense when you want to make sure you don't win another game to get the best draft pick possible.  Geno Smith can get killed behind that line throwing to those terrible receivers, and your future doesn't change.  If the rookie gets killed, you may have lost a prospect.  If Eli stays in, there is a chance he'll pull out a game or two.  If you put Geno in, you don't have to worry about any of that...other than Geno's death, but that is why you have insurance.

To be fair in regards to Romo, Tony had the luxury of all the backups for the Cowboys since he took over (and many before) being hot fucking garbage. He was going to have a job for life if the Jones family hadn't lucked into Dak Prescott (just like they did with Romo TBH) no matter if had broke his collarbone and back every goddamn season. I mean for two or three years, Romo when he was healthy played much better behind a terrific O line and never had as many LOL moments as Eli did over the same timeframe. It also helped that Dez hadn't slowed down dramatically and he had other options besides Witten. With the way Cowboys gave up almost every good defensive player to FA and the OL deteriorated prior to this season, Romo would have had only one good shot to get deep in the playoffs and just happened to be the year where things fell into place for Dak to take over. Both the starting QB and backup got hurt. If Kellen Moore doesn't get hurt, Cowboys definitely don't have the same season because he probably was as bad as Weeden.

Matter of fact, Brandon Weeden should hold a lifelong grudge against Romo for exposing how bad Weeden sucks in replacing him. That was horrendous. I dunno if Cowboy fans loved Romo like Eli, but they would have given up their first born and life savings to get Romo back the precise moment it was clear Brandon Weeden shouldn't have a job anywhere.

Also, regarding Romo's injury history:

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4753377/a-look-at-tony-romos-injury-history

• 2008 -- Broken right pinkie finger
  • 2010 -- Broken left collarbone
  • 2013 -- Ruptured disk
  • 2014 -- Two transverse process fractures
  • 2015 -- Broken left collarbone
  • 2015 -- Broken left collarbone
  • 2016 -- Compression fracture, L1 vertebra

This doesn't include a broken rib and punctured lung in 2011. Also in 2015 he re-broke the same bone, so I guess that's twice in one year. 

17 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Literally no one in their right mind would have advised Tony Romo to play again with the spine injuries he'd had. This is a pure "football bubble" thing.

It took Dak Prescott literally leading a team with perhaps the shittiest defense to ever be part of a team over .500 to get the starting gig. If Romo was allowed to play and could stand upright without tipping over like a cow with Mad Cow Disease, he was going to have the gig if Dak didn't have that level of performance. The Cowboys have literally gone out of their way to not draft a future backup QB and that's WITH the injury history. In the years when Dallas had other needs (ex. defensive back every year for the last fifteen years), they went with other positions that already had plenty depth and then got some guy who was never ever going replace Tony Romo. Remember when everyone freaked out they didn't get Manziel? Stuff like that indirectly made Jerry Jones look like a genius even the backups have notoriously been awful and Dallas could never afford for Romo to get hurt.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Of course Romo was better than Eli. 

Then what the hell is everyone discussing? Because it's totally two different situations even though I would agree with supreme in that Cowboy fans got way too giddy (especially in hindsight with the Zeke suspension and the Cowboys having an all time bad offseason besides Jaylon being able to play) with the transition to Dak. Something I brought up to people after the first 3 or 4 games last season is that we know what Romo looks under adversity. Sometimes he will have a really shitty game, but there were times he pulled a rabbit out of his ass especially his last days as a starter. The man won a game with a fucking broken back basically. On the other side of the coin, Dak hasn't shown a propensity to recover once the Cowboys get down and he is forced to throw the ball under serious pressure. Garrett was as bad as Linehan is now as an OC, but Romo somehow overcame that to an extent once he got serious weapons. Dak has no Zeke, Dez isn't getting open, Linehan's shitty plays, and a depleted offensive line. This is his first taste of Dallas being really bad. Romo could go 8-8 with all those factors and might keep you in wildcard contention. Dak isn't going 8-8 with his best offensive options being Terrence "Can you please put it between the numbers otherwise I won't catch it" Williams and Cole "Let me stop three yards behind the first down marker on third down" Beasley as his first and second options. I won't get started on the defense and how Mr. Draya Michele (with nine good fingers apparently) can't be the best player in the defensive backfield. 

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I won't get started on the defense and how Mr. Draya Michele (with nine good fingers apparently) can't be the best player in the defensive backfield. 

There are worse ways to go through life than as Mr. Draya Michele...I can cook my own damn food.

Just now, supremebve said:

There are worse ways to go through life than as Mr. Draya Michele...I can cook my own damn food.

She should be banned from cooking. Like even microwaves and George Foreman grills.

14 hours ago, supremebve said:

Romo didn't win two Super Bowls.  Romo was still better than him.  Eli was the quarterback of two championship teams, but he was not the reason that they got to either of those Super Bowls.  At Eli's best he was good, never great, but he was good.  Romo at his best could be great.  

Health in the NFL is pretty much a roll of the dice.  Romo was more mobile, was able to extend plays, and took more risks with his body, so he occasionally got hurt (he was generally healthy despite his made of glass reputation).  He can't control that.  Dak was good last year, but he wasn't nearly as good as Romo during his last full season.  Romo played 15 games in 2014 completed 69.9% of his passes, threw 34 TDs, and 9 INTs.  That is better than anything Eli Manning has ever done.  

Why do we have to pretend that Eli was responsible for those two Super Bowls?  Don't you remember how dominant those defenses were?  If you switched Eli Manning with any competent quarterback they would have 2 Super Bowls.  Eli isn't a special quarterback, he is basically Brad Johnson or Matt Hasselback with a better PR department.  We don't have to give the quarterback credit when they aren't the ones responsible for their championships.  He was there, he made a couple of plays, but there were probably 10 quarterbacks who could have done better at the time.  Those teams weren't champions because of their quarterback.  Trent Dilfer won a championship, Jeff Hostetler won one, fucking Joe Namath's bum ass won a Super Bowl...none of those dudes are great quarterbacks.   

Generally healthy is really pushing it in regards to Romo at the end of his career. They weren't going to re-insert him into the lineup because why fuck with momentum when there's a 75 percent chance Romo doesn't even last a month before he's back on the shelf again? As far as guys who aren't the biggest in stature but have basically never missed a start for an entire decade, Brees is a better comparison. Of course, Romo is bigger than Brees, but he's always looked kind of  dumpy for being 6'2." The point is neither has ever looked the part of a classic prototype passer yet Brees has managed to stay healthy for over a decade despite mostly playing on teams that were heavily skewed towards passing. You can't give Romo credit for all these numbers he would've put up had he not gotten injured repeatedly; at least three of his injuries ruined the Cowboys season. Yes, I'm counting 2013 where Romo managed to stay healthy for 15 games only to get injured in the next to last game. Sturdy also has to be a major point in favor of Eli over Romo.  

To be fair, Rodgers and Roethlisberger have had their fair share of injuries, however prior to this season, Rodgers still managed to go 8 of 9 seasons where he started 15 or 16 games. Romo only managed to stay healthy for back-to-back entire seasons in 2011-2012. As far as other players who have had similar careers to Romo, Philip Rivers currently sits at 187 consecutive starts. You can say health is a roll of the dice but the fact is there's at least a handful of guys with comparable or better career stats quality wise (passer rating, TD/INT ratio) to Romo who have rarely missed a start. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers and Eli have all been iron men in this era which makes a guy like Romo stick out like a broken thumb.

16 hours ago, supremebve said:

Where was all this righteous indignation for Tony Romo last year?  Not only did he lose his job because of injury, he was a better player than Eli. 

Um, because Tony Romo had been injured for, what, 3 years in a row? Kept breaking his collarbone and nearly severing the artery up there? Is Eli injured? I'm not sure how you are comparing the two.

1 minute ago, JLSigman said:

Um, because Tony Romo had been injured for, what, 3 years in a row? Kept breaking his collarbone and nearly severing the artery up there? Is Eli injured? I'm not sure how you are comparing the two.

My point is that Tony Romo is a better player than Eli Manning and the last person who cried for him was T.O.  I just don't understand why people are crying over Eli Manning, when he's a rich man's Joe Flacco.  He's not entitled to start for the New York Giants.  Seriously, I'm sure half the people crying over Eli getting benched wish he would have been benched multiple times over the years.  I get it Geno Smith sucks, but Eli isn't good enough to be crying over.  People act like they are benching Tom Brady or John Elway, but he's not that.  He's had a good career, he's overachieved, and they told him he could keep starting, but the other quarterbacks will get to play...he decided to sit.  To paraphrase Vince McMahon, "Eli Manning benched Eli Manning.  Their season is over, they need to start planning for the future.  

I just don't think that's the correct comparison to make, Romo was better than Eli but was injured constantly and was replaced due to his injury issues, not his play. Eli is completely healthy. If Romo was benched mid-season after he had played every game, then there certainly would have been outrage about it from Dallas fans.

Dak slid in a similar way that Brady did, but the young QB replacing the older QB when he gets hurt and never giving the job back is different than what is happening with Eli and what happened with Alex Smith a few years ago. And the issue fans have is mostly not that he was benched, but that he was benched For Geno and not for the rookie to see what the rookie has which is the normal way that teams operate. It seems that you just really don't like Eli, which is perfectly understandable, but its really not that similar to the Romo situation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It seems that you just really don't like Eli, which is perfectly understandable, but its really not that similar to the Romo situation.

I have no issue with Eli, I just don't understand why people are so mad.

For the record, people have no issue with replacing a quarterback who literally broke his back for the team, but do have an issue with replacing a quarterback who has been overwhelmingly average if he's not injured.  Eli had a really good career.  He's the best quarterback in the history of the team.  But, he is not irreplaceable.

What would Geno have to do to win over Giant's fans?  I honestly want to know how good he'd have to be to get Giant's fans to give him a chance.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

For the record, people have no issue with replacing a quarterback who literally broke his back for the team, but do have an issue with replacing a quarterback who has been overwhelmingly average if he's not injured.  Eli had a really good career.  He's the best quarterback in the history of the team.  But, he is not irreplaceable.

What would Geno have to do to win over Giant's fans?  I honestly want to know how good he'd have to be to get Giant's fans to give him a chance.

They need another reason to be mad at McAdoo among the other trillion reasons to be mad at Ben McAdoo.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's not that they replaced him, it's WHO they replaced him with. Also the ham handed way they handled it didn't help. If they did it to see what they had in the rookie the reaction would be completely different. We all know that Gino Smith isn't any good, starting him is pointless.

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

It's not that they replaced him, it's WHO they replaced him with. Also the ham handed way they handled it didn't help. If they did it to see what they had in the rookie the reaction would be completely different. We all know that Gino Smith isn't any good, starting him is pointless.

Do we KNOW Geno isn't any good.  He was showing improvement, before he got his face broken by a teammate.  Maybe...jus...bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  I'm sorry, I can't even type this shit with a straight face.

I'm rooting for Geno though.  Compare his 2013 stats to Eli Manning, and try to tell me Geno can't get better.

Again, there's no similarity in the situation and Dallas fans didn't love Tony the way Giants fans love Eli. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter that Romo-When-Healthy was a better QB. At all. Eli escaped the pressure to make that throw to Tyree. Eli made that throw to Manningham. Eli started 210 straight games and never caused a single distraction. That's going to engender loyalty from a fanbase that putting up better numbers, getting hurt a lot, and never getting past the second round won't.

• Like 1