DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

4 hours ago, Control said:

Street Fighter Collection on blu

have never seen them, myself, but some may be interested.

I'm hyped. Been wanting to upgrade my DVD set for years. Bad news: it doesn't come with Sister Street Fighter. Good News: Arrow is releasing that one soon.

Sonny Chiba was my hero as a young'n. Japanese Americans don't have lots options outside of just hanging onto famous Chinese guys.  Then I saw Street Fighter and Chiba ripped a rapist's dick off and I was like "That's my dude 4 life." Years of watching Asian men getting metaphorically emasculated in American media, and here's a dude ripping a shithead's dick off. It was a holy fucking moment.  Pretty sure I saw him before Mifune. 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2019 at 1:29 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, what? You mean all the sequels and the remake or... I mean Robocop is probably in my top five of all time but I couldn't even do that. 

And I really need Rock'n'Roll High School. In fact there's a Corman rabbit hole I could easily go down if I had the right source.

EDIT: Oooo! I forgot that dad grabbed me X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (speaking of Corman) and Mr. Majestyk from Kino Lorber, too. Oh, and since we were talking up Seven Doors of Death on here, I took a glance at part of my collection in the front room and realized I had grabbed a copy of The Beyond from a local record store, then shelved it away having seen it far too many times to want to again right then. It got its proper airing. Still a favorite.

At a buck each the 4 copies of the original will be given away.

Warner Archive has a "4 for $44" going on as of today.  If you go for more than 4 movies, each subsequent release is only $11.

I've been waiting on this since Black Friday, so I'm down for: The Guyver; The Split; The Alphabet Murders; Wicked Wicked; and Pretty Maids All in a Row.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nate said:

15% off at Deep Discount, until noon CT Jan. 10.

I'm biting on a Paul Naschy box set from Shout!/Scream.

There are two of those (which I guess you know); the first one is the choicer but the second one has Hunchback of the Morgue. I got most of those when they were individual releases (the two packs) but never saw Hunchback anywhere :(

Oh, and I went to two separate Dollar Trees looking for Robocop to no avail. Oh well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

There are two of those (which I guess you know); the first one is the choicer but the second one has Hunchback of the Morgue. I got most of those when they were individual releases (the two packs) but never saw Hunchback anywhere :(

Oh, and I went to two separate Dollar Trees looking for Robocop to no avail. Oh well

I had most of the movies (from Anchor Bay, back when they didn't suck) from the first volume, and I didn't really feel the need to double dip.  It's the second volume, with both "Hunchback" and the video nasty "Werewolf and the Yeti", that I'm going in for.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That sucks.  Been seeing the Robocop Blu ray pack of 1 thru 3 at Dollar General for 5 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange first pick for them, given they just released the Blu-Ray edition, but the sound mixing & editing for this film is clearly all over the place (and who knows whether it was fixed with the re-release).  Gotta figure that's only going to cost them purchases of the physical copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Target is having a buy 2 get 1 free sale on movies/books/music.

It's not a bad way to get a backdoor "sale" on some of the more boutique discs that never really go on sale like Shout/Scream Factory.

I used it to finally get the Scream Factory's of Return of the Living Dead and Ninja III: The Domination and then got to throw in Night of the Demons for free.

• Like 1