DVDVR Message Board

NJPW WrestleKingdom 12 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/2018

Raziel

1 hour ago, Salads said:

With regards to the judgement of New Japan management I remember reports of them being high on him from day one, and it being odd at the time that they would 'adopt' someone who had already been trained and debuted in Toryumon of all places. There must be some insight there because by the time the Rainmaker character appeared he'd been around for seven years and no one was buying it.

Eh, he was trained by Ultimo, who had a decent relationship with NJPW, and he was originally coming in as a Junior.  It was that injury that he bulked up a bit and went heavy, but he went through the Dojo and Nagata liked what he saw.  And to be honest, he got the whole Rainmaker persona from TNA of all places, he just never used it until Gedo took a shine to him.  Okada's one of those dudes that did everything right and what was asked of him and clicked with people.  Not many people do that.

• Like 1

Rolling Stone interviewed Kenny Omega about his match with Chris Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom 12. When asked about using blood in the angle they did at the World Tag League finals, Omega said: “I've been lucky where I've asked for a little bit of trust from the company. When you put yourself in a situation like that, you either hit consecutive home runs or you're dead in the water, because there's a lot of money on the line, there's a reputation on the line. And a lot of times I really forced them to step out of their comfort zone. Between last year's G1 and now with Jericho, I have done a lot of things the company isn't necessarily comfortable with, but they're seeing positive growth from it. Drawing blood is a faux paus. They don't like it at all. Our parent company makes its money through anime and card games.”

Credit: f4wonline.com

Okada has a point, and that's likely being used for Naito having a super run, or a bigger chip on his shoulder for the Main.

Card upadated to change the RoH Title match to a Forgone Conclusion Special Single Match, so that's some Final Battle spoilers.

It’s hard for me to start down that speculatory path without going full fanfic, but...

If Kota beats Cody, that puts him solidly as the highest ranked guy Kenny has never beaten. He’s STILL, years later, the only person to kick out of the OWA. And we know Omega, kayfabe and not, values performance and narrative as they contribute to his legacy. Who else is there to defend against that satisfies both nearly as well?

I think it’s also important to remember that distracting Kota for AJ was the moment he really severed the line to his past self, and became a true Bullet Club member. Reconnecting himself to that person, even as an opponent, plays into the current line of thinking among BC old hands that he cares more about his own goals than the group. They’d probably do something where Omega actively insists against a post-tag beatdown or run-in, which fully proves to them that he doesn’t have the edge needed to be the top bad guy.

So the match happens, and whomever wins, they put the other over and express some degree of reconciliation. Bullet Club, probably led by Cody, then destroys both. 

Yeah, Rowe was supposed to be going for the last 6 months but never did, with the reason being because his girlfriend works NXT.  But it never seemed to happen.

Fale/GoD indeed won the 6 Man Titles this morning, so I imagine the Gauntlet match will be added soon and that'll finalize the card.

Really surprised about Goto and Suzuki, since I was nearly certain the whole thing was just a way to get Shibata in the building. But a motivated Minoru without all the stable chicanery is one of my favorite things, so I won't complain.

Stoked to cringe at whatever bump Kenny has planned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Really surprised about Goto and Suzuki, since I was nearly certain the whole thing was just a way to get Shibata in the building. But a motivated Minoru without all the stable chicanery is one of my favorite things, so I won't complain.

Stoked to cringe at whatever bump Kenny has planned.

I expect interference regardless, even if it's post-match. Shibata's gonna show up somehow.