DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

So I've been playing NHL 15's online league thingy, though I never put money into it. I'm kinda sorta good at it. I am 21-7 right now without putting a cent into the game, and was on a 12 game winning streak until yesterday. Was playing a dude whose team was 50% HOFers and 50% elite players. My best player is a 90 rated Ryan Callahan followed by a Vlassic/Carlson defensive pairing. I felt down 3-0 early, was getting fucking pissed, ended up coming back to 3-2 and had a shot hit the post with 6 seconds left. I was annoyed (I kinda view teams like that as "Guy bought a win" for the most part), but the guy messaged me after the game and said I made a heck of a comeback and good game and the like, so I calmed down.

Still, I was proud of that winning streak.

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY getting some new classic teams in NBA 2K16.  Twelve new ones, with 5 announced so far.  2000 Jailblazers, 2008 Celtics, 2003 Mavs, 2001 Lakers and 2000 Raptors. Love those additions and hope the next few are just as good.

• Like 2

PES 2016 looks like it's going to destroy FIFA 16 in terms of gameplay.  All EA really has over it at this point is better motion-capture and licenses of Premier League and Bundesliga, and even that's starting to tilt with Konami securing the exclusive Euro 2016 license and option files being confirmed for the PS4 on this edition.

PES 2016 looks like it's going to destroy FIFA 16 in terms of gameplay.  All EA really has over it at this point is better motion-capture and licenses of Premier League and Bundesliga, and even that's starting to tilt with Konami securing the exclusive Euro 2016 license and option files being confirmed for the PS4 on this edition.

How are you liking the demo? It's definitely a huge upgrade in terms of fluidity. I still think it's way behind FIFA in terms of physics on top of animations you mentioned. I'm feeling completely fucked on the defensive side even on professional. I find it difficult to jockey guys correctly and the CPU is pretty unforgiving, as they capitalize on the majority of the mistakes I make. You can't just hold X, as you run mindlessly towards the ball carrier and get dummied pretty easily. Jockeying is super slow, so you can't really do that. *Shrug* I've played three 10 minute games on the demo and am digging it. Not sure if it's enough to buy it, at least not until it goes on sale by late winter/early spring. Makes me want to load up FIFA to see how they compare.

I usually splurge on football games and get both FM and FIFA. After putting less than 5 hours into FIFA and not getting into Football Manager as much as I usually do this past year, I may skip 'em and PES. Of course, I say this now and will likely have FM preordered after they release information sometime soon.

Edit: PES has always had kind of overpowered shots from long range but I just scored a rifle with Lacazette from a sharp angle. Right over the keeper and pinged down off the bar. Beautiful!

Played some more of the PES demo, this time with a friend. We both really enjoyed it. We adored the level of differentiation between the likes of Robben or Pogba to the average schmoes. We hope they fix the fouls issue, as you can get away with murder in the demo. Despite that, it's a pretty great game of football. I'll think of picking it up when it goes on sale in January or February.

To see the difference, we played the modded PC version of FIFA 15 with classic national teams (awesome!). The actual game mechanics were way better in my mind than in reality. Such shitty physics, most everybody feels the same, overly complex skill moves that's more like Mortal Kombat than a sports game (this really hurts when you look at how easy it is to pull stuff off in PES), and the game is incredibly fast even with slider changes and on the slow setting. The past few years, FIFA has reached mid-to-late '00s Konami level of complacency with their game. For the first time in a while, it seems Konami may actually be bridging the gap in a big way. 

So, yeah, definitely wrong about physics and animations. Also, I prefer the PES graphics to the claymation looking FIFA dudes (plus EA sports games have had that awful jersey/shirt numbering and naming that stretches and looks really amateur). 

So I've been on the PES 2016 demo for a week now, and I'm pleased with what it is, which is minor tweaks on the game play from 2015 and slightly more fluid animations and control (particularly while dribbling and in the tackle).  What you mentioned about the differentiation between Robben and Pogba, that's the player ID and one of the elements that has me glad I returned to the series.  It definitely has its issues with the lack of fouls (referee AI?), overly-clinical shooting inside the box by the AI on Superstar difficulty, and outdated menu interface/things like replay cameras available, but that's minor compared to my mounting concerns with EA that reached a head with FIFA 14.

With FIFA 15, every player had virtually identical physiques (thin waist/overly-buff/tight jerseys showing off their guns and boxer-like shoulders) and played the same.  The only stat that really matters is pace/dribbling, and the game has basically been taken over by the even-more arcade-like FUT mode, which has even faster game play and stupid AI - like keepers never getting a red card because they came out and admitted it was too difficult to code for online gameplay (?!?).  This year's iteration is supposed to be a reversion to a more tactical pace like FIFA 13, but I'm not thrilled by what I've seen thus far.  Basic dribble animations for players are about 1.5x as quick as they should be, the dreaded catch-up logic (45' and 90' goals) is still there, build-up from the midfield remains an afterthought.  Graphically, I agree, the faces and player models of PES are better than FIFA, but I was more speaking toward the overall picture of the menu interface, scoreboards, crowd, stadiums, pitch, etc.  FIFA's player models all have this weird dead/lifeless look to their faces that remind me of the Autons from Doctor Who or something.

That said, I may end up getting both if the online mode in PES is as hit-or-miss as it was last year.  You've got one week after launch date, Konami - I'd rather play just one game for offline and offline purposes, if at all possible.

I remember when Madden coming out was a big deal and I'd arrange my work & school schedule to have a day or two off on release day to just play the hell out of it.  I didn't even realize it was out today until I saw a commercial for it this morning.  Getting old sucks.

• Like 1

I hadn't played a Madden in 3 or so years (I think my PS4 came with a heavily discounted Madden that I gave to a friend) and they've really done a great job on the animations. It looks really impressive.

The Curry lay-up at the end.

3 full minutes and not one second of actual gameplay. Dear software companies: It's OK to show us how the GAME part of your game actually looks and not just the instant replays.
  • Like 1

They generally do that in dev diaries/youtube accounts closer to the release window. Last year they had a developer go into length about free flow offense in a great series of videos. The incredibly detailed article on franchise modes was something you just don't see from others. 

We've heard not a peep from SI about the new Football Manager and it usually comes out in October. That company really seems to be resting on their laurels. 

What's the top pick for a ps4 golf game? And any word on the quality of the new NHL?

I bought The Golf Club on Steam. It's a piece of crap, more or less. Terrible frame rate/optimization, impossible putting, ugly graphics, among a bunch of other things. It does have a nice course creator and you can share creations with others as well as download courses. Nothing is licenced but some people have tried to recreate some courses. I don't know if it's a more polished turd on the PS4 but I would stay away. Rory McIlroy 2016 got pretty average reviews too. It's a real basic game stripped of a lot of features and no Augusta, which is a big deal to some. I haven't played it though.

There was a beta for the online 5vs5 mode of NHL that's getting goodish reviews. The game looks an awful lot like 2015 which looked an awful lot like 2014 which loo...I won't be buying it because you can't share rosters. It's 2015 and EA's releasing a game in which you can't share edited rosters. Last  year, you couldn't even edit players. Poorly run franchise. My friend usually gets it, so using the PS4's sharing deal, I'll be able to play it but I doubt I'll get invested.

The Show and NBA 2K are pretty much the only consistently great major sports franchises going on console, OOTP and Football Manager on PC.

Yeah, Golf Club has potential but the last build I played was a mess. I think it's probably down to the fact that golf games don't sell well, therefore EA probably doesn't commit much money into it. It shouldn't be hard, but here we are. EA's done their typical thing when moving from one generation of consoles to another. They strip down the game to focus on making it look booteeful and then slowly reintroduce features found in last generation's later games. NHL seemed to have the worst of it.