Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin Wilson

Mayweather McGregor Megafight Megathread

201 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Money is money. It makes a lot of shit possible.

I am interested to see what the split is. Mayweather generally is really... strong willed about how much he makes, which he has earned the right to be, so I just assumed it wouldn't happen for that reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I am interested to see what the split is. Mayweather generally is really... strong willed about how much he makes, which he has earned the right to be, so I just assumed it wouldn't happen for that reason.

Most likely 60-40 or 65-35 in favor of Floyd obviously.

With Conor making $100 million, there isn't any reason to come back to the UFC honestly.  But hey, the UFC stands to make money from this as well so you gotta take the good with the bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if I make 100 million for one night, I'm figuring out how to take a dive without the commission withholding my purse. I'd get destroyed by the media and Twitter/IG memes, but I think I will manage.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McGregor via second round KO. World melts down.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Granted they are two different beasts but i can't get the idea out of my head that Conor is CM Punk in this situation and instead of fighting Mickey Gall in his first fight he's fighting Jon Jones.

That said he's making 100 times what Punk made, he's better equipped and that left hand is a bomb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know shit about boxing. I couldn't really get into it beyond seeing Tyson annihilate guys. I'm not even sure I've watched a full Mayweather fight. Even still, Conor has less than a 1% chance to win this, right? I can't even imagine what the betting odds will look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, peterien said:

Granted they are two different beasts but i can't get the idea out of my head that Conor is CM Punk in this situation and instead of fighting Mickey Gall in his first fight he's fighting Jon Jones.

That said he's making 100 times what Punk made, he's better equipped and that left hand is a bomb. 

To be fair, Conor is actually a fighter. Mickey Gall is just some green MMA prospect. That gulf was huge relative to a dude who was never in a real fight and someone who knows enough jiu jitsu to make him look silly. 

Conor would do fine against your run of the mill cab driver from Mexico or Dominican Republic or one of these boxers from states (all of the flyover states essentially) where it is easy to amass a gaudy record. But this is the best boxer of his generation. So yeah, gonna be a long night at the office. However, he is making more than 30x what the usual Mayweather opponent makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the big questions will be 

1.  Will this be the reverse version of James Toney vs Randy Couture?   At least Connor has enough boxing experience to not embarrass himself.  

2.  Will the people who pledge they will never get fooled paying for money on a Mayweather fight jump in the front of the line and get into the hype again?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

 

2.  Will the people who pledge they will never get fooled paying for money on a Mayweather fight jump in the front of the line and get into the hype again?

 

Big fights are big fights. There will plenty of people who said that after every Floyd fight when he returned in 2009. Sure, the Showtime deal got off to a rocky start all the way to the Canelo fight. However, Showtime basically hadn't been a big time PPV distributor since Lewis-Tyson which was co-distributed with HBO/TVKO. This fight is going to be immune to that level of thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Conor does get humiliated and never lays a glove on him all night, how is that different to most of Floyd's opponents recently?

I mean, a pretty big part of me hopes he gets himself DQed for throwing kicks and elbows in a 'This isn't illegal in my kind of fighting' way, but that might get his purse withheld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AxB said:

If Conor does get humiliated and never lays a glove on him all night, how is that different to most of Floyd's opponents recently?

I mean, a pretty big part of me hopes he gets himself DQed for throwing kicks and elbows in a 'This isn't illegal in my kind of fighting' way, but that might get his purse withheld.

Yeah, I think you can remove the word "might".

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we've seen boxers trip each other in clinches before, so he could possibly squeeze in a cheeky takedown at some point. But probably best not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds were -1100 Mayweather earlier today, FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, we've seen boxers trip each other in clinches before, so he could possibly squeeze in a cheeky takedown at some point. But probably best not to.

Unintentional slams, takedowns, and general wild stuff happens all the time in boxing (and kickboxing as Murthel Groenhart vs. Harut Grigorian showed us last week). However, the commissions have kinda clamped down on stuff that is clearly malicious. Two fighters tangling and tumbling down together is common now. Two times is rare, but you get some instances of it. Three times or more is the referee losing control of the fight and/or one fighter being clearly devious. I don't see Conor McGregor doing any of that because there is nothing to be gained from that. 

Andre Dirrell fought an Ecuadorian (IIRC) fighter named Jose Uzcategui some weeks back. That was a disaster because Uzcategui landed an illegal blow (unlike Groenhart's KO of Grigorian which was perfectly legal) after the bell to knock Dirrell out (mostly out cause Dirrell got back up briefly and then went back down).  Then Andre's brother Anthony, his uncle/trainer, and others entered the ring and all hell broke loose especially when Andre's uncle cold cocked Uzcategui who had his hands down and wasn't defending himself. People got hauled off by the authorities, and the fight obviously ended in a DQ.   

This fight doesn't need anything like that, and I doubt anything happens like that. We're like 11 years removed from the Mayweather/Judah incident. Nevada is way more stiffer on that type of madness. With so many high rollers in town and how much they have invested in this, I highly doubt the Nevada commission would let that happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thought: is it possible that this thing ends up a quasi work with Mayweather basically toying with him and dragging it out for like 3-4 rounds before finishing him off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Random thought: is it possible that this thing ends up a quasi work with Mayweather basically toying with him and dragging it out for like 3-4 rounds before finishing him off?

It's not really a work if only one guy knows about it. That's just called carrying someone.

Either way, it doesn't really make a difference. The common misconception is that someone would drag out of fight as to give the fans a fight (this is commonly associated with Gennady Golovkin by the HBO commentators chiefly Max Kellerman). However, fans want to see a competitive fight which this probably won't be. If he styles on him in round one or the next few rounds after that, people are similiarly going to be disappointed.

Floyd really isn't a knockout artist though and has not really shown punching power since going past super lightweight really. I meant he couldn't miss against Arturo Gatti twelve years ago and that still took him until the middle rounds. 

Plus, Floyd is not a big guy. He has always fought close to his fighting weight even though past IV use says he might be 6 or 7 pounds over as opposed to 1 or 2 pounds over on fight night back when he did weigh in the day of the fight. Conor will probably rehydrate up to 170-175. He will have a size advantage. That should at least keep him in there until round seven or eight even if Floyd is wearing him out. Floyd always picks and chooses his spots anyway especially being trained by his father instead of Roger.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, benj said:

McGregor via second round KO. World melts down.

If he lasts more than a minute or two it's because Floyd is fucking around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If he lasts more than a minute or two it's because Floyd is fucking around 

Floyd isn't really a puncher though. Floyd spends two or three rounds feeling people out. I cannot remember the last time Floyd threw a really hard punch inside of five minutes in a bout.

If this was one of the Charlo Twins or Keith Thurman, Conor would be in serious trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Floyd isn't really a puncher though. Floyd spends two or three rounds feeling people out. I cannot remember the last time Floyd threw a really hard punch inside of five minutes in a bout.

He did KO Diaz in round 4  n 2011 when Diaz had his hands down, I don't believe Floyd is going to miss many open shots it depends on his willingness to take those shots and I'm wondering if McGregor is getting battered how much will be allowed before we see the fight stopped.  McGregor is going to leave himself open,  will Floyd go after it and end it quickly or will he toy around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

He did KO Diaz in round 4  n 2011 when Diaz had his hands down

That would be Victor Ortiz and I don't know anyone who wouldn't have done that to Victor. Legal shot, but he was a sitting duck.

He hit Robert Guerrero a whole bunch of times and Guerrero just kinda took it.

Conor's biggest problem is his gas tank especially since he added muscle. He just automatically slows down at the 9-10 minute mark. If Floyd plays the elusive game, he will survive a lot longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That would be Victor Ortiz and I don't know anyone who wouldn't have done that to Victor. Legal shot, but he was a sitting duck.

He hit Robert Guerrero a whole bunch of times and Guerrero just kinda took it.

Conor's biggest problem is his gas tank especially since he added muscle. He just automatically slows down at the 9-10 minute mark. If Floyd plays the elusive game, he will survive a lot longer.

Right Ortiz I have McGregor's UFC career on my mind.  I have no idea what McGregor's camp is going to look like leading up to this but I can't imagine he's seen the types of problems that Floyd will present, like I can't imagine the adjustment going to the type of boxing defense or precision that Floyd has from anyone McGregor has seen  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0