DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

Apparently I am raising a Pokemon hipster or something as I just told my son that they announced a true Pokemon game would come to the Switch and he immediately all went THEY BETTER NOT BE ABANDONING THE 3DS!!! etc... etc..

That was amusing to me

• Like 2

Just now, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, Mario, Metroid, Fire Emblem, a console Pokemon are enough to hook me.  If we somehow get a Punch-Out!!! I'll be set.

Aw, dude, I didn't realize how badly I want that until you mentioned this.  They already are kinda sorta doing boxing with Arms so this would be a natural to put on there.

I loved the conference, it further sold me on games I'm getting anyway and my poor wallet's crying thinking about the others they announced.  Rocket League for Switch was a nice surprise and good thing it's cross-platform online.  Metroid Prime 4 is going to be tremendous, so glad they announced that.

3 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, Mario, Metroid, Fire Emblem, a console Pokemon are enough to hook me.  If we somehow get a Punch-Out!!! I'll be set.

You will play ARMS and you will like it.

I thought they'd mention their online NES "netflix" system, so either they still dunno yet how that will work or figured it wasn't important enough to talk about in the 25 minutes they game themselves.

This Mario game looks fucking great as they demo it. Coins have actual use beyond being collected in blocks of one hundred (ten for a new life, plus area-specific coins that can be used to buy items in shops). There isn't a timer, so you can take your time exploring each level, 64-style. There are multiple options for scaling an obstacle. 

I really want this ASAP. 

I like the variety, as someone that uh owns every system I think between the three they covered every genre with high end looking games. I love that the consoles finally went away from gimmicks (aside from the brief PSVR part) and are just showcasing game after game after game with a lot looking very promising. Any gamer that leaves this E3 saying "they didn't show anything I want to play" maybe just has reached a phase in their life where they need a video game break.

• Like 2

I really want a PS4 but those funds will probably end up as a Switch for my kid for Christmas

Curse all of you and your disposable income

Except JT - that is a pox upon his bar stools

I'm an adult, I swear. But Yoshi's Island was like "my game" as a kid, I played it for probably a year straight as we were kinda poor so I didn't get new games except for Christmas and birthdays. So even though it looks kiddie I am sure it is still challenging and I'm going to buy it.

Oh it should be noted, even though Yoshi said 2018 it kinda.... looks closer than that to completion. Nintendo is intentionally spacing out their games regardless of their completion status, it has been mentioned that Mario is done too but they wanted it to be a holiday release. So my assumption is that Yoshi will be out next February or so if I had to guess, spring at the latest as that video didn't look like a game still early in development. I mean Metroid will be 2018 and there was no footage, same with Pokemon which is a bit more normal.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I like the variety, as someone that uh owns every system I think between the three they covered every genre with high end looking games. I love that the consoles finally went away from gimmicks (aside from the brief PSVR part) and are just showcasing game after game after game with a lot looking very promising. Any gamer that leaves this E3 saying "they didn't show anything I want to play" maybe just has reached a phase in their life where they need a video game break.

I don't know if there was secret pact or something but the stars sure have aligned in terms of games coming out.  There's so much wonderful variety across the platforms that no matter what you're golden.  The PSVR is a gimmick I won't buy, but even a game or two looked good in that.

That Mario Odyssey song is stuck in my head, and Nintendo Treehouse playing that during break isn't helping.  Such a delightfully catchy tune.  The song/trailer made me go from being interested in the game to really, really excited.  And the gameplay looks great too.  I'm so pleased to see people not having a Switch yet (here and elsewhere online) really considering/being sold on it due to this.  This is so not the WiiU and thank goodness for that.   Welcome back, Nintendo.

Disappointing news that was missed by many

Elder Scrolls 6 isn't even in development yet

“They have at least two major titles they are working on before we’re going to get to Elder Scrolls 6,” Bethesda’s Pete Hines said last night, while showing off more of The Evil Within 2. 

Now if one of those two major titles is Fallout 5 then we are cool

• Like 1

Apparently they consider Elder Scrolls Online (especially the Morrowind expansion) to be the "next" Elder Scrolls game thus why a proper sequel is gonna be awhile

36 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think it just show how particular many peoples' gaming habits have become. I realized it when I watched Bethesda's conference and saw many pitching a fit over neither of the new IPs being announced. If it isn't completely new or ES/FO related people just did not give a shit.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Disappointing news that was missed by many

Elder Scrolls 6 isn't even in development yet

Now if one of those two major titles is Fallout 5 then we are cool

This is the same news mentioned last year. Its not surprising. They made it clear they ES6 wouldn't be done until after the new IPs. I imagine its part of reason some were hoping one of them would be announced. I think part of it is likely wanting a new engine for ES and FO. FO5 is likely even further behind than ES6. I think the best we can hope for is a spin-off by another developer under their umbrella or for the Creation Club to sizable DLCs that they count as official.

Just now, RIPPA said:

Apparently they consider Elder Scrolls Online (especially the Morrowind expansion) to be the "next" Elder Scrolls game thus why a proper sequel is gonna be awhile

I figured as much.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

They have to keep porting Skyrim for everything.

The next new console announced will only play Skyrim and Rocket League

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think it just show how particular many peoples' gaming habits have become. I realized it when I watched Bethesda's conference and saw many pitching a fit over neither of the new IPs being announced. If it isn't completely new or ES/FO related people just did not give a shit.

I think people just like complaining :) I'd wager 98% of those making those complaints will still buy plenty of games in the next year. I'm not saying some complaints aren't valid, I'm not thrilled about the ES thing either, just in the overall scope of what was shown the last three days I think when it comes down to it, every gamer will find at least something they like.

There's been a big backlash against Elder Scrolls: Legends from fans who want Elder Scrolls 6.  Yeah, because the development team of pro-CCG players creating the online card game should be devoting their time to ES6.  :rolleyes:  The next expansion announced for ES:L sounds pretty solid, though.  More dragons, The Companions, shout cards?  I want all of that.

We bought Breath of the Wild for Wii U for my son's birthday so I DIDN'T have to get a Switch.  Looks like that tactic failed.  That was one hell of a showing by Nintendo.

• Like 2