DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is what was handed out by Microsoft

zyn9l5ktu70cuy3azhhb.png

I really don't think they should put them side by side like that, doesn't make it look better. I really don't know who their market is for the X. If you got an S in the last year you likely aren't upgrading again for the most expensive console on the market. If you hadn't purchased an XBOX yet I don't know if you'd spend an extra $250 for 4K (and no game, the S sells for $250 right now with a game included) as if you have a 4K TV and wanted an XBOX, you probably already have one. I dunno man. Having three versions of your console within 4 years seems a bit crazy. Their most hardcore fans will buy it but who else?

The article I got that from basically made it seem that at the Microsoft walk through even they basically where treating it like another option to buy not the THIS IS THE NEXT GREAT SYSTEM!!! BUY IT OVER EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!

So it seems like they are just trying the "Hey - here is a fancier more suped up version that visual snobs might want"

Again - all of this is new for the console makers. Who the fuck knows what will or will not work?

What a bunch of idiots. 

Why display the specs like that? 

Put the specs side by side with the Switch and upcoming PS machine and make a case that the Scorpio is a MAYBE a better value. 

Compete with competitors; not with yourself.

If you are willing to spend $500 to moderately upgrade your console experience, then you almost certainly have the money to get a low-mid range gaming PC that is way more powerful and with a wider range of function than any console in history. "Elite snob gamers looking for top hardware" already exist, and they don't play consoles at all.

Totally out of context of everything I know, the new XBOX's specs are nice, but I have no idea who the market is either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

If you are willing to spend $500 to moderately upgrade your console experience, then you almost certainly have the money to get a low-mid range gaming PC that is way more powerful than any console in history. 

PC gaming isn't exactly the most social experience, though.

You're not going to hook your PC up to your awesome 4K television and spend a Friday night with your friends playing round robin drunken Madden.

True but even then Steam is clearly trying to encroach on that with their new pseudo-console. I'll grant you it's nowhere close to smoothed out compared to the traditional console experience but even then I've heard a lot more positive than negative about it.

I need to see more down the road on Anthem re: Co-op. I mean, the Borderlands games are technically co-op games where you can just ignore everyone and play by yourself if you want. Forced co-op is never not awkward unless you have friends playing the same game at the same time.

The rest of it looks cool enough.

19 hours ago, BL88 said:

EDIT: this was a post about me being excited about The Last Night, then I learned that the lead developer is a gamergater, so now I am back to being excited for no additional games than my pre-E3 trio.

Just for the record - the dev has apologized and is trying to distance himself from those tweets

http://kotaku.com/e3-show-stealer-s-old-political-tweets-spark-internet-f-1796025311

Decide if that is enough to get you excited again

28 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I need to see more down the road on Anthem re: Co-op. I mean, the Borderlands games are technically co-op games where you can just ignore everyone and play by yourself if you want.

Forced co-op is never not awkward unless you have friends playing the same game at the same time.

"Forced" co-op is rarely awkward for me aside from the initial how do you do's. 

The whole point of Friends Lists is to add more friends to them so that's what I try to do as often as I can, especially if I am currently addicted to a game that is primarily co-op in nature like Destiny or GTA Online.

I seem to have a talent for making friends with actual women gamers who are totally awesome, but I have also made the acquaintance of some of the most annoying dudes online... like Veelox...

My sociable nature is a blessing and a curse.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just for the record - the dev has apologized and is trying to distance himself from those tweets

http://kotaku.com/e3-show-stealer-s-old-political-tweets-spark-internet-f-1796025311

Decide if that is enough to get you excited again

on that "sorry I got caught" trip. I'm good. Granted, my attachment to this is a little more personal- one of my closest friends, who used to be a speedrun streamer, got chased into living in hiding by those chucklefucks. So there's that.

The PC Gaming Show was pretty alright! I came out of that show with one additional game I wanted to play. Hopefully I get longer than a two hour period before it comes out that it's made by like flat earther militia members or something. Anyways, it's called Tunic and it's isometric Zelda with a cute fox hero. I'm down.

actual women who know how to drive a motorcycle in GTA V like no one's business

I think Anthem's co-op is just like Destiny, Division, etc... where you can play by yourself or have folks with you

The No Way Out (or whatever the hell it is called) is the one I have an issue with since it looks like it is 2 player co-op only

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

actual women who know how to drive a motorcycle in GTA V like no one's business.

Moongirl rarely games these days and when she does, it's usually a driving title..

I occasionally get the "'Sup?" PM from her every now and again, but grad school keeps her busy..

The XOX spec sheet basically just confirmed to me that I should get an S. I have no need for the fancy shit in the XOX. I'll gladly just pay less for a system that takes advantage of equipment I have instead of dangling this stupid 4k carrot in front of me.

I'll be honest, having a 4K TV (warranty upgraded me from HDTV to 4K, otherwise I wouldn't buy it) the One X is tempting.  At $500 I won't get it anytime soon, but imagine buying it once it has a great deal or bundle to go with it.  It helps I've been a PS4 guy so I don't have the current Xbox One systems.  I'm just hoping they have some great exclusives that make buying it worthwhile, otherwise I'll just play older games which defeats the purpose IMO.

I'm pretty hyped for Sony's conference and am curious to see how wacky/awkward Ubisoft's will be.

I only just realised that the acronym for XBox One X is XBOX. I am getting slow.

Anyway. The only game announced so far that is a must buy for me is the Life is Strange prequel. I enjoyed the original so much more than i expected to. I never played the original Metro games and i'm kind of burnt out on Assassins Creed (plus Microsoft seem obsessed with giving them all away for free on Games with Gold anyway) so i'm in no rush for those. Anthem and that pirate game look interesting but i can only play so many co-op heavy games and i already plan on getting Destiny 2.

I'm hoping for something FROM Software related at the Sony show later.

This might be one of the weirdest games ever.  An Xcom-style game with Mario and Rabbids?  I'd love to know what illegal substance they were on to come up with this idea.  But I see this being a big hit for Nintendo fans and even those that love this kind of gameplay.

Flying planes like that around NYC will get you shot down.

But props for a game that has maps in NYC getting the skyline of Jersey City and Port of Elizabeth right.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The article I got that from basically made it seem that at the Microsoft walk through even they basically where treating it like another option to buy not the THIS IS THE NEXT GREAT SYSTEM!!! BUY IT OVER EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!

So it seems like they are just trying the "Hey - here is a fancier more suped up version that visual snobs might want"

Again - all of this is new for the console makers. Who the fuck knows what will or will not work?

This generation of game consoles came at a really strange time.  I remember when the Xbox One and the PS4 were announced I was thinking, "they've barely maxed out the current generation, and these new consoles aren't that big of upgrades."  With the expansion of 4K, I think my original thought is coming true.  The Xbox One and PS4 have both been pretty disappointing to me, and both sides have already had to update the consoles to take advantage of new technology.  Either they're going to keep trying to do these little upgrades or this is going to be a really short generation of consoles.  It is crazy that they've already hit the ceiling of these new systems, and I don't think we've had one all-time great game yet.    I really like Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Witcher 3, but I don't think any of them are as good as the best games from the previous generation.