DVDVR Message Board

Hair Metal

Tabe

2 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

Ha! Totally. There are soooo many parallels between hair metal and mainstream country.  

In FARGO ROCK CITY, Chuck Klosterman says that hair metal videos never went away - they just moved from MTV to CMT. 

Of course, that book was written at a time when CMT actually played music videos. And when country didn't sound like hair metal. But the videos - with all the sexy girls in bikinis and cutoffs - sure looked like something from Y&T or Warrant. 

4 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Yeah, Eric Carr was cool. He was a far better fit than Peter Criss ever was. 

That Faster Pussycat song came out when my parents were going through their divorce, so that was my fucking JAM for a while when I was a kid. 

Love the fact Michael Bolton co-wrote Forever. 

Paul Stanley in his book predictably claims that Bolton had very little to do with that song.  Who knows in the KISS world especially considering how much of the music on KISS albums was played by musicians not in KISS

Just now, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Did his wig blow off

This was just a few years ago, well after their glam phase. 

Loved Poison.  Pissed I missed them and Cheap Trick last week.  I always like trolling Poison fans about Bret's hair hat.  SOmetimes I wish he would just go au natural but its Rock n Roll.  You have to dress the part.  You can almost see the downward trajectory of David Lee Roth's career as his forehead got larger and larger

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 3:25 AM, Brian Fowler said:

We're way off topic, but I believe I have every officially released Jones era studio track on vinyl

35941793_10211240394317903_5514686867888

Wait a minute, what’s this here? Is this a mono box of the Decca albums?

If so, you dirty bastard. 

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Wait a minute, what’s this here? Is this a mono box of the Decca albums?

If so, you dirty bastard. 

It is

The Rolling Stones in Mono includes the following albums:[7][8]

The Rolling Stones (UK version, 1964)

12 X 5 (US only, 1964)

The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK only, 1965)

The Rolling Stones, Now! (US only, 1965)

Out of Our Heads (US version, 1965)

Out of Our Heads (UK version, 1965)

December's Children (And Everybody's) (US only, 1965)

Aftermath (UK version, 1966)

Aftermath (US version, 1966)

Between the Buttons (UK version, 1967)

Flowers (US only, 1967)

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

Beggars Banquet (1968)

Let It Bleed (1969)

Stray Cats (a new collection of singles and non-album tracks)

• Like 4

Nice. I have most of those, but only a few in mono. The duplicates above, I only have the UK versions (preference). That’s a solid collection though.

Mono is THE WAY to go with albums prior to, I’ll say, 1970. Because that’s what the producers/mixers spent all of their time on. Because you have to ride the faders a lot. When stereo came along around then, yeah they spent time, but it was easier and they breezed through it without care. Not with mono, and they’re very noticeably different mixes.

My prized possession LP-wise, in this regard, is my original pressing mono “Sgt. Pepper’s...”.

• Like 1

I got all the Beatles mono represses from a few years ago, and, sound wise, they are the best LP's I own. Zero hiss or any other extraneous noise, absurd clarity even on a mid-grade table and cheap stereo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 1:25 AM, OSJ said:

Damn,  I was only 12 when Jones was kicked out of the band and died a month later. You guys weren't even born then, were you? Glad to hear the love for the Jones-era Stones, they did some great stuff, "The Spider and the Fly" remains a favorite after all these years.

Wasn't born until '70. First Stones song I remember is "Miss You", heard on WLS in my mom's '75 Pinto.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:56 PM, Captain Kronos said:

In FARGO ROCK CITY, Chuck Klosterman says that hair metal videos never went away - they just moved from MTV to CMT. 

Of course, that book was written at a time when CMT actually played music videos. And when country didn't sound like hair metal. But the videos - with all the sexy girls in bikinis and cutoffs - sure looked like something from Y&T or Warrant. 

Never thought I would see the day someone mentioned Y&T anywhere let alone this board.  I felt bad for those guys.  They seemed like a step away from being a bigger band but 10 years and 6-7 albums into their career they were still stuck opening for Motley Crue on the Theatre Of Pain tour.  Poor guys never even managed a gold record

6 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Never thought I would see the day someone mentioned Y&T anywhere let alone this board.  I felt bad for those guys.  They seemed like a step away from being a bigger band but 10 years and 6-7 albums into their career they were still stuck opening for Motley Crue on the Theatre Of Pain tour.  Poor guys never even managed a gold record

Y&T are huge in Japan.

In recent years they have had packed shows playing here in Nashville.

Saw them back in 1987 or so in the #2 slot on a Bon Jovi/Y&T/RATT tour.

Shit, I almost bought Mean Streak on LP about a week ago along with Queensryche - The Warning, but the latter was sold out so I passed on the $6 copy of it cause I'd have to pay shipping and it was just an extra I threw in to sweeten the pot. I don't consider them a glam rock or even metal band, just a solid hard rock band that worked forever and never got their dues. 

If you're into the 1980s, you're missing out if you haven't checked out the following bands:

Perfect Plan

One Desire

Wildness

Revolution Saints

Code Red

And for a TRUE throwback to the 1980s, you *MUST* get Don Barnes' "Ride the Storm" album.  It was actually recorded in 1989 but only released in 2017.  And it is FANTASTIC.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

And for a TRUE throwback to the 1980s, you *MUST* get Don Barnes' "Ride the Storm" album.  It was actually recorded in 1989 but only released in 2017.  And it is FANTASTIC.

38 Special were shit as it was.  Dont need solo shit from their singer.  Tape should have stayed buried in a box somewhere

10 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

38 Special were shit as it was.  Dont need solo shit from their singer.  Tape should have stayed buried in a box somewhere

Your loss. It won a bunch of album of the year awards for last year. It's REALLY good. 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

They released some good stuff but never anything that was going to be huge. "Ten" is probably my favorite of theirs.