DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

I guess OJ is one of those deaths where there’s probably not a lot of news of the “waiting for him to die to not get sued” variety because I mean what else could there be that wasn’t already an accusation while he was alive?

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The Bills sorta dodged one by never retiring OJ’s number during the 15 years in-between his retirement and arrest

Seriously, he's the best player in franchise history, and at one point was the most beloved athlete in the country.  Did they have a policy of not retiring numbers?  

@Dolfan in NYC, Dov Kleiman is clearly a moron, but the reason we cared about OJ as much or as long as we did is because of who he was before the murders.  Has any athlete in history created as wide of a range of feelings from the public as OJ Simpson?  Muhammed Ali is the only one I think is in the same stratosphere.  I know the ESPN documentary is great, but there was an older HBO documentary that illustrated how beloved OJ was by pretty much everyone but Jim Brown during his heyday.  We don't have an athlete who is more universally beloved as OJ was at his peak and we haven't since maybe Michael Phelps at his peak.  After the murder, so many of the feelings about OJ had nothing to do with OJ and whether or not he was a murderer, but how betrayed people felt for how much they loved him.  I don't think the public can be more invested in the career/life of an athlete than OJ going back to the 1960s.  He was THE superstar athlete, who was in every commercial, and was the person whom everyone looked at as the model for how professional athletes should behave.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, he's the best player in franchise history, and at one point was the most beloved athlete in the country.  Did they have a policy of not retiring numbers?  

Bills didn't retire any numbers until Jim Kelly in 2001

but OJ's number has mostly been out of circulation since he left the team

Number 32 had been withdrawn from circulation but not retired after O. J. Simpson. Former owner Ralph Wilson insisted on not reissuing the number, even after Simpson's highly publicized murder case and later robbery conviction. The number was placed back into circulation in 2019 with Senorise Perry wearing the number that year; practice squad cornerback Kyler McMichael was the last player to wear the number.