DVDVR Message Board

RAW is Vacant?

Niners Fan in CT

They give RAW the Cruisers as well as 3 for every 2 SD Draft picks. Why would Shane be OK with this? What is his rebuttal? A shrug of the shoulders? How can they not see how they're cutting the balls off of SD before this split even starts. SD should get something exclusive in return, such as the Women's Division or exclusive first access to the NXT roster. SOMETHING. Kayfabe-wise, he's off to a horrible start as the runner of a new company by letting RAW and Steph just get all these things from them right off the bat.

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I love the anti-Steph vitriol. Shows her character is working. She was really terrible years ago, especially when she was a face. But she has been really great since The Authority returned. They certainly had too much on-screen time, but she has generally been great. The only time I had any interest in anything with Brie Bella was in that angle. 

I also really like the whole "I am a woman and had to work twice as hard!" material. That really strikes a nerve with the current state of things -- look at the whole Ghostbusters issue. It gives her character a really good reason for being this way. To us, she's a petulant and spoiled brat. But in her view of things, she has to be that way because she is a woman running a very masculine industry, and she sorta has a point. The best heels always have a justification, and she has that right now.

None of us know what she is like off-screen. So let's not act like we can tell.

I'm becoming convinced that a lot of the "Big Steph buries people" and "Never gets her comeuppance" talk is really a bunch of people who are longing to see a woman get beat up.

Steph has really been good that last few months...maybe last year.  People get over as heels just being associated with her.  Poor old Mick didn't even get as big of a pop last night because of his association with Steph.  I think a power struggle between her and Foley could make for some fun TV with her wanting to intimidate and him wanting to entertain.

And, Greg, we know a lot about her offscreen, because if you can't trust the words of ex-employees with axes to grind against her/WWE, who can you trust?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Maybe both can be the workrate shows! It's not like there are even a bunch of the guys on the roster who aren't workrate-y. 

How is workrate even an issue with the WWE at this point? 80% of the roster can have a MOTY right now. Cena, Roman, Seth, Dean, Bray, Rowan, Jericho, AJ, Sami, Cesaro, KO, Sasha and Becky have all been in MOTY level matches. And a lot of guys have been in great things just below that level -- New Day, Miz, Charlotte, Zo and Cass, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caley said:

I'm becoming convinced that a lot of the "Big Steph buries people" and "Never gets her comeuppance" talk is really a bunch of people who are longing to see a woman get beat up.

Steph has really been good that last few months...maybe last year.  People get over as heels just being associated with her.  Poor old Mick didn't even get as big of a pop last night because of his association with Steph.  I think a power struggle between her and Foley could make for some fun TV with her wanting to intimidate and him wanting to entertain.

And, Greg, we know a lot about her offscreen, because if you can't trust the words of ex-employees with axes to grind against her/WWE, who can you trust?!

The anti-Steph stuff really does have a tinge of women hating to it. Is there a cross reference between people who hate Steph "in real life" and people giving Leslie Jones crap on Twitter?

And on the flip side, anything positive about Steph is through the veneer of corporate PR.

21 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm bummed that they're separating Bryan from the Cruisers. That just doesn't make any sense.

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, that's just weird. 

21 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I love the anti-Steph vitriol. Shows her character is working. She was really terrible years ago, especially when she was a face. But she has been really great since The Authority returned. They certainly had too much on-screen time, but she has generally been great. The only time I had any interest in anything with Brie Bella was in that angle. 

I also really like the whole "I am a woman and had to work twice as hard!" material. That really strikes a nerve with the current state of things -- look at the whole Ghostbusters issue. It gives her character a really good reason for being this way. To us, she's a petulant and spoiled brat. But in her view of things, she has to be that way because she is a woman running a very masculine industry, and she sorta has a point. The best heels always have a justification, and she has that right now.

No.  

Not this at all.  Not a single bit.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, caley said:

And equally none of this.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The anti-Steph stuff really does have a tinge of women hating to it. Is there a cross reference between people who hate Steph "in real life" and people giving Leslie Jones crap on Twitter?

And on the flip side, anything positive about Steph is through the veneer of corporate PR.

Nope nope nope.  Disliking one shrill, passive-aggressive, underacting, overwhelming, pandering female doesn't automatically result in "misogynistic woman hating neckbeard", no matter how you spin your narratives.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I love your positivity, legitimately, but this is one time I am not on board with you :) The problem is that I don't watch RAW partly because of her character. I am not judging her in real life as I know she is playing a character, but their goal is for people to watch hoping for the big heel to get their comeuppance. Her character is on the losing end of something maybe once a year, the other 51 weeks she is unbearable. A heel has to, sometimes, 'show ass' as we like to say and no heel shows ass less than Stephanie. So if people are not watching RAW partly due to her (such as myself) then the character isn't working. She can do the "women are held back" storyline without also being an awful character - hitting people that can't hit her back, constantly interrupting people while adding nothing, etc. Its again like WWE can't do anything in a subtle way, it is all or nothing.

I am interested to see what happens after the split, I still have hope that Steph and Shane will show up maybe once a month to say something and otherwise leave it to Mick and Bryan. Those two have enough name power that they really don't need the McMahons there every week too. "Stooge Mick" has some promise, I'd watch that to start just to see how it goes. I haven't watched RAW regularly in over a year and SD in probably six years, they have me interested to tune in to both for a few weeks and I may not be the only one they can get back, so I hope they start off well.

• Like 1

I liked how on the show where they announced Cruiserweights as being a big deal, Baron Corbin smashed their two luchadores. WWE's track record with integrating Cruiserweights on their main shows is even worse than their track record with women's wrestling. 

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

So if I don't want to see an authority figure all over the show berating talent, slapping people and basically telling the audience that they're stupid for liking the people they like, I hate women?

• Like 7

Just now, cwoy2j said:

So if I don't want to see an authority figure all over the show berating talent, slapping people and basically telling the audience that they're stupid for liking the people they like, I hate women?

But of course!

/greggulatorverse

• Like 1