DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

The UFC had lackluster PPV buys this year for a lot of reasons but the main one in my opinion is just the abundance of shows they put on.  People aren't going to pay sixty bucks for a card that's basically a one fight card especially when there's a free show on TV next weekend and there was one on last weekend too.  It's got to feel important for a lot of people to spend their money on it and the UFC by flooding the market with events has made each one on it's own feel not very important.  This last card felt big and I'm sure it drew ridiculous numbers. 

You can count the consistent top draw fighters in UFC history on one hand and Anderson probably isn't one of them.  I'm sure it will hurt losing Silva if he doesn't return but he's not a guy who has been a top draw on his own consistently. 

Rousey vs. Tate II is my FOTY. No other fight this year had as much drama as this one; not Bones/Guffaston, and not even Sanchez/Melendez. 

HUH? It was completely one sided? Other then a couple punches Tate landed. 

The marketing behind Rousey-McMann will be interesting to see, considering it's between two former Olympians and takes place...right at the end of the Winter Olympics. That point is going to get beaten like a drum, and this is where the Fox tie-in works well - they're not broadcasting the Games (of course), but they'll have talking heads on site, and you better believe there will be plenty of shilling for that PPV. Wouldn't be shocked to see the UFC buy ads on NBC, either.

Cormier fits into that marketing, too. Two "casual fan" PPVs in three weeks might bite them in the ass, though.

Anyone else notice AXSTV as a sponsor last night? Remember when they were HDNet and "your home for MMA"`? That worked well.

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen the "ending of an era" better (or worse, how you look at it) than last night's main event.  Not only did it signal Anderson's end, but it was almost like the end of the period starting with the TUF breakout in 2005.  The fact that they now have to rely on sloppy WMMA matches to lure folks in will be interesting.  

• Like 1

Watched the whole show.  Please don't start claiming Rousey/Tate II was some masterpiece of skill.  When people are throwing their opponents in triangles while on top because they don't know how to advance, that's not a good fight. Rousey can sure ragdoll people though.

• Like 2

Hopefully he makes a full recovery, though I doubt he will want to fight again.  

I mean honestly, after a leg break like that does anyone really want to see him fight again?  I'd rather we not see his career go the way of Fedor and Nogueira.  

I love Nogueira and all, but I think he should also probably retire now.

I don't think I've seen the "ending of an era" better (or worse, how you look at it) than last night's main event.  Not only did it signal Anderson's end, but it was almost like the end of the period starting with the TUF breakout in 2005.  The fact that they now have to rely on sloppy WMMA matches to lure folks in will be interesting.  

I'll be fine with the prospect of Weidman possibly facing Vitor, Jacare, and Machida all within a calendar year.

So did anyone else sign up for Fight Pass? It looks alright I guess, will be interesting to see how quickly the PPVs and Live Shows get put up. We are getting the Saffiedine show live on TV here in Aus so not sure if ill bother watching it on Fight Pass.

So did anyone else sign up for Fight Pass? It looks alright I guess, will be interesting to see how quickly the PPVs and Live Shows get put up. We are getting the Saffiedine show live on TV here in Aus so not sure if ill bother watching it on Fight Pass.

I got it for the free 2 month trial, but am canceling Feb 28th.