DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

So the UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2 thread got locked before I could talk about it. Once I've posted this, I'll look back at it. This was one of the best cards this year, might be the best.

In the fast paced opener Dustin Poirier finished Diego Brandao very late in the first round with an ground and pound, Jim Miller submitted Fabrico Camoes via first round Armbar in a good fight and Travis Browne knocked out Josh Barnett with standing elbows early in the fight as Barnett attempted a takedown.

I looked forward to the co-main event for the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship between the champion, Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate because their first fight was the best WMMA fight I’ve watched. This might have replaced it as Tate took Rousey out of the first round for the first time but Rousey won by third round Armbar. I looked forward to the main event for the UFC Middleweight Championship between Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva with what happened in their first fight and wondering what would happen in this. In the first round Weidman hurt Silva with a punch and got some good ground and pound in. The fight ended in sickening fashion in the second round as Weidman checked a Silva leg kick breaking Silva’s leg. Graphic.

So the UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2 thread got locked before I could talk about it. Once I've posted this, I'll look back at it.

Haha I wouldn't bother dude, it was mostly hysterical idiocy.

Yeah, you won't have to deal with that in the coming months.

Cheers lads.

I liked that Rousey didn't shake Tate's hand. Nothing I hate more than the fighters being buddy buddy after pretending to hate each other for promotion. If you are not going all the way with it, don't bother pretending. 

Rousey vs. Tate II is my FOTY. No other fight this year had as much drama as this one; not Bones/Guffaston, and not even Sanchez/Melendez. 

I hope we do the annual end of year awards. Bones/Gustafsson is still my Fight of the Year.

I can't believe you've been such a huge bitch for so long and yet stayed under my radar. Normally I smell you guys a mile off.

Heavy is the head that wears the crowd, I guess.

Crown*

Anyway, it's already been settled and agreed on. *>330 = bye bye

Or am I being obtuse?

What's the point of locking the old thread if it just got transferred over here. 

• Like 1

I can't believe you've been such a huge bitch for so long and yet stayed under my radar. Normally I smell you guys a mile off.

Crown*

Or am I being obtuse?

What's the point of locking the old thread if it just got transferred over here. 

Done from this point forward. It has been decided.

Yeah especially because it may be his last fight. One of the worst possible ways to end a career. 

You know the more I think about it, the more I think it's better than going out like Chuck, Fedor and the others. Don't get me wrong, that was a shit way to lose a fight and a shit way to go out, but he's going out rich, healthy and on top.

(Healthy assuming he recovers fully)

Real enjoyable/exciting show that I thought looked like a great card on paper, especially with a strong build like the last one (love the youuuuuu and meee video)  I had Browne winning but definitely did not expect it so quickly, felt bad for Barnett as I've always been a fan of his but I like both fighters there. Absolutely loved Rousey/Tate, lived up to the hype perfectly with a huge big fight feel from the start. Crowd was rocking all the way through, super exciting fight that had me on the edge of my seat. Was surprised but glad to see Miesha survive the first round and make it all the way to three before the inevitable conclusion. I feel like even though Miesha's 2 for her last 5, every one of those were some stellar exciting fights. Was kind of hoping Alexis Davis would be next in line but Rousey/McMann will be intriguing with both being undefeated olympians, pretty quick turnaround too.

Main event was crazy. I had thought Weidman would win but never like that, sick finish for sure. Also since I saw it asked in the other thread, Weidman's entrance music is "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty.

I liked how Tate said her plan wasn't to play into Rousey's game and keep distance, when she repeatedly tried to take Rousey down like an idiot.

Tate was so outclassed it wasn't even funny and Rousey is only getting better. The girl is sick.

I liked how Tate said her plan wasn't to play into Rousey's game and keep distance, when she repeatedly tried to take Rousey down like an idiot.

Tate was so outclassed it wasn't even funny and Rousey is only getting better. The girl is sick.

Miesha is a grappler, and that's all she'll be able to count on. She popped Ronda good a couple times, but no one can expect the fight to stay there for that long.

I mean she brought in Lucie Decosse (probably the best female judoka of the last five or so years before her retirement) early on in training so good on her for taking it seriously. That's probably why she did not get tapped right off the bat. But we saw more limitations in her game than we saw in Ronda's IMO. She is flat footed and stands straight up when she strikes. When she grapples, she isn't very good at hip escapes and establishing her base. And when she does do the latter, she does nothing to score points. Whatever grappling offense that isn't adversely affected by that is what wins her fights.  This isn't something that showed up just against Ronda. It has happened in other fights too. Watching the fight tonight, I thought it was the whole "well, she can't learn judo overnight blah blah". But thinking it over, I think it is a little bit more fundamental than that.

Crown*

Or am I being obtuse?

Done from this point forward. It has been decided.

What dick mods they have around here.