DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Uh, can the voting for the MMA awards be a little less dull?

1. DEMETRIOUS JOHNSON (AMC Pankration)
Bouts:
W-DEC5 (UNANIMOUS) vs. JOHN DODSON (UFC on Fox 6: Johnson vs. Dodson, January 26, 2013)
W-SUB5 (ARMBAR) vs. JOHN MORAGA (UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs. Moraga, July 27, 2013)
W-KO1 (PUNCH) vs. JOSEPH BENAVIDEZ (UFC on Fox 9: Johnson vs. Benavidez II, December 14, 2013)

[Your explanation without the brackets]

I don't think anyone needs the camp (how many same name fighters are going to come up?), I don't think anyone needs the wins (because that can go into the explanation). Why not just Name/Explanation? IE:

Vitor Belfort:

Vitor beat Bisping, Luke Rockold and Dan Henderson by head kicks this year, after going 3-2 in the UFC in the last two years. That's pretty impressive no matter how much TRT is coursing through his veins.

According to Meltzer on the latest edition of WOR, the PPV numbers for UFC 168 are looking really good. He didn't want to speculate at all that it did 1 million, but he did hint it might hit close to that based on the DirectTV (IIRC) numbers.

I just realized now that there doesn't seem to have been a big kickboxing/MMA joint show from Japan on NYE. It seems like a once-grand era has simply quietly passed back into the ether. Those were some good times.

I just realized now that there doesn't seem to have been a big kickboxing/MMA joint show from Japan on NYE. It seems like a once-grand era has simply quietly passed back into the ether. Those were some good times.

The end of the year UFC show is the big show now. Even if semi-competent talent is available (and it is), it's going to get thoroughly overshadowed by whatever the UFC has to offer. So why even bother put Satoshi Ishii vs. whatever is left of Kazuyuki Fujita on AXS tv? It's a bill of goods.

I think DREAM 18 was a last hurrah, though Glory had a (kickboxing) show in late Dec 2013 in Tokyo. And it had (and didn't broadcast) Sergei Kharitonov vs Jerome LeBanner! So not too far off.

Don't rush too fast to the television to watch it, the matches I saw were pretty sloppy and not inspired. 

The only thing I've seen is Kitaoka getting completely mopped by an uppercut and right hand. That's the only thing I'm going to watch from the show.

Twelve months from now, who are the champions in each weight class in the UFC?

HW (265lbs): Cain Velasquez
LHW (205lbs): Alexander Gustafsson
MW (185lbs): Chris Weidman
WW (170lbs): Carlos Condit
LW (155lbs): Anthony Pettis
FW (145lbs): Jose Aldo
BW (135lbs): Dominick Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson
Womens (135lbs): Ronda Rousey